main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's unbelievable!

AmySolo likes this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    oh. Carry on!

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    *checks the date*

Yup...

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I already posted it yesterday.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Hold on, buddy, the cookies are nearly ready.

AmySolo likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Batman: Under the Red Hood- Decent overall but I'm not sure if give it a strong recommendation. It's a film whose feel veers around quite a bit. At times it feels like an extension of The Animated Series (even though it features none of the original cast, those filling in are doing acceptable approximations of the original cast), at other times it becomes more simplistic than TAS and other times it goes darker.

Ultimately the film is about an excuse to feature Batman vs Robin (and that's not really a spoiler- if you can't figure out who the Red Hood is within 10 min of the movie, well, I can't help you). The climactic scene does get a little intense and its moments like that where the movie really works. But it's met down by some of the other material inbetween (Black Mask's scenes in particular).

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker & Batman: Mask of the Phantasm are still far, far superior films on the animated Bat front. Still, it's not terrible if you want something that somewhat reminds you of TAS that is occasionally intense yet too simplistic.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, to be fair, with "Under The Red Hood" being based on a lengthy comic series, there's going to be that bit of disjointedness compared to the other films which were original stories.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah I've noticed that's an issue for some of these films. I remember watching All Star Superman last year and it was very obvious that it wasn't one story so much as multiple stand alone issues being smushed together- kinda like The Clone Wars film but worse.

The movie was only 1 hour & 20 minutes though- if the comic series was lengthy I really have no idea why they wouldn't have added another 40 minutes in there at the very least if the story needed it.

Still have Year One and both parts of TDKR on my TiVo, will hopefully get to them soon. Given that it's two films, I'm assuming it won't share that problem much. I also have Gotham Knights on DVD and while I have watched it, it's been so long that I don't recall any of it so I might add that to my rewatch pile here.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Part of what was cut tied into other stories like "Infinite Crisis", as well as long running plot lines in the Bat books. It was a twelve part story with a two issue tie-in for the Teen Titans when Jason went after Tim. So a lot of what was cut for the film was mainly to streamline the story. Stuff like the battle with Amazo was left in as it helped kick the story off. The final confrontation between Bruce and Jason was altered as it was originally published the same week that "Infinite Crisis" #5 came out and the ending interfered with the main storyline. The film, since it was adapted by the same guy who wrote the storyline, used the original planned ending.

I'm not sure how well versed you are on the comics versions of those stories, so I won't say much until you've seen them.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've read part of TDKR (was reading a copy at my store but didn't get to finish it before I closed up) and I have YO on my to-read backlog shelf.

Anyways, The Rock co-hosted the MTV Movie Awards and, after a bit where he (dressed as Superman) and Kevin Hart (dressed as Batman) were calling out the various Marvel hero actors present, Dwayne through in a quick "Black Atom in coming...".

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Happening today:

[​IMG]

I wonder if they'll announce a solo Batman flick and possibly a new director for Justice League.

I'm sure they'll need some good press after the shellacking Batman v. Superman and Snyder have been getting.

I'm definitely hoping for an updated slate of the DC films.

WB will probably address the report about less director inspired films and more tent pole films.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This is the revised announcement, following having to insert Batman into Batman v Superman...
    [​IMG]

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They missed a trick and should have had Batman Vs Batman

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

the stench of Superman III was still too much...

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

"Tell me... do you dance?"

[​IMG]

"You will."

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Dammit I read that in West's voice too. :p

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Tweets from CinemaCon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Watched TDKR 1&2 this evening. It's very much both the inspiration and the reverse of BVS. The conflict is more plausible (though hinges on a more period-specific element in the setting) though here it is Superman in the wrong instead of bats.

It's an entertaining set of films, though the story does have some shortcomings (mostly the Mutant Gang which is given little depth, but a few other developments are obvious).

Cast is solid. Weller carries the role well, though I felt the bigger speeches at have gotten away from him (possibly because it's hard to project a speech with the batvoice). Robin isn't really necessary to the plot but isn't terrible (just cliched).

heels1785 likes this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The Killing Joke gets an R rating, and won't be edited down to a PG-13.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

In the comics, there isn't much more about the Mutant Gang other than some of the stuff that they did. Carrie Kelly's plot benefits from Bruce's inner monologue about Jason Todd's death and Bruce's relationship to Dick Grayson.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I saw that. Very exciting stuff, but it'll probably be terrible.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I thought the Mutant was a metaphor for the impressionable and wayward youths. At first they follow the Mutant Leader and are pretty much thugs, but after Batman defeats their leader, they become the Sons of the Bat, which Batman exploits.

Carrie Kelly does lot for Batman and is an intricate part of the story. For one, she represents the fanboy, which pretty much Robins represents, where the reader is able to go on an adventure with Batman as Robin. Secondly, she helps Batman get over the death of the Robin that died. She saves Batman from the first fight with the Mutant leader and then makes sure all the Mutant Gang is there when Batman defeats him. She's the one that digs him out of the grave at the end.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Indeed. There's a bit of backstory that's not in the film.

[​IMG]

The implication being that before they all retired, there were fears that kids would imitate the heroes and villains, which is the end result of what happens in the present day.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.