main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm sure the "communion" scene will be put into context in the Ultimate Blu Ray edition of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, and if it's not, I'll definitely be scratching my head.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It'll be put in, but to truly put it in context for those who won't buy the Blu-Ray, there should be a flashback to it in the forthcoming film.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That's what kind of worries me about Justice League: Part 1; the amount of ground the film needs to cover, especially after the events of BvS. I mean, Dawn of Justice doesn't feel like it set a clear path to a Justice League.

4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
  5. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Double Post due to lag :mad:

6. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    More Double post due to lag...

7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Important (and cool) detail to that:

Sources say that Robbie was the impetus for the project, adding that when she got the part for the movie, she dove deep into the comics to learn as much as possible on the character. In the process, she fell for DC’s female characters. She brought on the writer to help develop the project and brought it to Warners, which snapped it up.

GenAntilles likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I've never understood the directors / producers who say "I don't want you to read / I don't think it's necessary for you to read the comics this is based on for some background on how to play the character" as that inevitably ends in sadness and badness...

The2ndQuest and GenAntilles like this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Will we get Martian Manhunter? Why can't they kick Aquaman out of the Justice League and add him?

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    He's on Supergirl, we're good.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ender Sai make the call.

Darth_Invidious and FatBurt like this.
  12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Because many of the ones who haven't read comics have probably never read them and see them as an inferior medium.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Great news, though "Harley Quinn team movie" pretty much describes how they've been selling Suicide Squad so far. ;)

Sith_Sensei__Prime and PCCViking like this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I like that WB is confident enough to talk about making a Harley Quinn movie. I'm hoping for a Gotham City Sirens film.

[​IMG]

'Batman v. Superman' Fallout: Warner Bros. Shakes Up Executive Roles

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm down for a Harley Quinn movie definitely, but it bugs me when they say things like, "Oh, it'll be totally like Deadpool, kids."

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Trailer for the TV show Powerless has dropped.

I think it's cute and funny and I love a few actors in this series. I'll be sure to watch the pilot.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  17. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Can't stop watching this

Seriously, it would be SUPER AWESOME to see him in DCEU. He's one of my favorite superheroes of the Justice League.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Batman: Year One- Clearly the story basis for much of Batman Begins, this adaptation of the graphic novel is pretty solid. Great cast too (Cranston as Gordon and oddly enough, Ben McKenzie [who plays Gordon on Gotham] as Batman, etc).

Only major short coming is that it feels too abbreviated (the movie is just a few minutes over an hour long)- even though this might be the result of being faithful to the source material, I think they could have easily expanded upon the content to at least a full hour and half. As it stands currently, some subplots like Catwoman's feel extraneous and without resolution.

Beyond that, there's not much to dislike here (though, even with the PG-13 rating, the movie still feels like lighter material than The Animated Series) and ultimately comes across as one of the better DCU animated features. It's still not a must-see but it's not too shabby.

Ender Sai and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's why the upcoming adaptation of "The Killing Joke" will have a prologue with Batgirl that would pad things out a bit and give more to her character. With "Year One" only being four issues and itself compact as it is, there wasn't much else to do to pad it out. Not without interrupting the narrative. YO really was a lot of set up for other story material, even though it took years to explore those angles. "Catwoman: Her Sister's Keeper", "The Man Who Laughs", "Four Of A Kind", "Bad Moon Rising", "Haunted Halloween", "The Long Halloween", "Catwoman: When In Rome" and "Dark Victory", all built off of that. The first one is the only one that could possibly fit with YO and could be used to pad it out. But then it still feels like it doesn't quite fit, since that would give three climaxes to the story.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they could have dropped all the Catwoman scenes and either expanded upon Gordon's investigation (since he's really the main character) or expanded Bruce's role in the story aka Batman Begins- either a prologue with the training or scenes of him setting up his Bat gear (since he kinda just shows up as Batman right off the bat...no pun intended) or showing more of his takedown on crime as he builds towards the head criminals.

Because, as it is now, he kinda goes from screwing up in his first mission because of Selina to taking down high informants and swat groups, etc. Basically a lot happened offscreen I think they could have elaborated some upon without it feeling like padding.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    But then that's the problem, it wouldn't be a faithful adaptation. The screw-up wasn't because of Selina, it was because he chose to fight Stan for attacking Holly and then he was ill-prepared to deal with the cops when they showed up and he was shot. When he deals with them later, he's better prepared for that encounter and he's managing to scare Brendan's team, because of the reputation that he's built up.

Before we go further, did you read the original comic?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually haven't, though I do own a copy (along with The Long Halloween & Dark Victory) on my to-read shelf.

I assumed the film was being a faithful adaptation of the comic, which explains the brevity of certain details and the pacing.

I just think, as admirable as a 1-to-1 adaptation is, I think the shift in medium would have allowed for expansion of the story while still remaining faithful to it- mainly because the graphic novel was written with the intention of subsequent stories following up on certain threads whereas this animated movie is effectively a standalone.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say, even for myself included, that there's agita over Batman V Superman for being too dark but the reason everyone, even myself included, are looking forward to Killing Joke is because it's so dark. (and Hamill and Conroy playing the characters again, obviously, for one of the most iconic stories).

Random mention again of how freakin' awesome Michael Emmerson was as the Joker in Dark Knight Returns. "Breatttthheee, David. Breeattheeee!"

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    your casting choices are always excellent so who would you cast?

I'll make the call when I know.

Darth_Invidious and heels1785 like this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    'Batman v Superman' Fallout: Producer Charles Roven to Shift Role on DC Movies