main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It seems less "Batman V Superman didn't make a billion, you're fired" than "we want to make so many movies we need more than one of you!" problem.

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I do not see the point in directly adapting DC storylines as animated features. I do not understand why we need a movie version of The Killing Joke, which is at best a hopelessly overhyped comic that even Alan Moore didn't think was too great.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Pretty much. Only a few lines of dialogue were cut. Otherwise, that's pretty much the comic brought to life. The only padding was the fight with the SWAT team.

That's been part of the issue with doing these adaptations. They initially promised adaptations that were faithful, but so many stories had to be altered that it left some fans feeling cold. And when going for accuracy, you wind up with complaints about that as well. Not slamming you, but just giving the overall view.

Well, this was the compromise for cancelling JLU and going in different directions for DC's television properties. And the adaptations that were done of B:TAS and JLU were well received by fans. Plus, it would maybe encourage people to read the source material.

Because a lot of fans wanted to see Hamill and Conroy do this and felt that it was one of the stories that was worth adapting. Sure, Moore isn't a fan of it now, but it does have its share of fans.

4. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    And? I don't really care why these are made, I just don't see the point in making them when you could just go and read the comic. Comics aren't a huge time investment, the images are better, and you don't have to worry about an adaptation "messing up" what you love about a character or the source material.

[quote="darth-sinister]

Because a lot of fans wanted to see Hamill and Conroy do this and felt that it was one of the stories that was worth adapting. Sure, Moore isn't a fan of it now, but it does have its share of fans.[/quote]

They want it, they don't need it. :p It's gonna be a mess.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The only ones who worry about messing up are the anal fanboys who can just relax and enjoy an adaptation if it's good. Some people don't want to read comics, or don't know where to really begin. And those who do, wouldn't mind seeing it done in animation. Or live action.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I read alot of comic books in my life time, as I've been reading them since I was about 9 years old. And every time I've read a comic book, I always wanted the characters and stories to jump right off the page. I wanted to hear the characters' voices and see them move and interact with other characters.

I've haven't mind any of the DC's animated adaptations of their comic books. However, some of the animation I didn't find agreeable (i.e. Justice League War and Throne of Atlantis), but it's fun entertainment.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I never realized the Salkinds were so tight on the budget that they had Superman: The Movie make its maps with an Etch-a-Sketch.

[​IMG]

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    But they are an investment nonetheless. No, not even an investment: just another form of entertainment, and a rather costly one at that. Back in the day, I saw comics go from $.75 to nearly $3 just on account of glossier paper but with the same amount of content as far as quantity and quality was concerned. Now comics are sold at nearly $4 or more. You can argue that's to be expected considering inflation and all that, but in my old cynical age, I find that frankly ridiculous. For a few bucks more I'd rather buy myself lunch. Or...see a movie. And if you can watch an adaptation at the fraction or equal cost you'd pay to buy and read the actual comic (which you can only read so many times before tossing it away in a corner or the nearest trash bin), three guesses which option most people are going to take?

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That's more like it.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, Dope was a fun film with alot of depth. I hope that's the direction of The Flash flick as well. Given the footage of Ezra Miller as Barry Allen in Batman v. Superman, it felt like it might have an urban vibe to it. Which would be an interesting take on the character, as I often think of Barry Allen as a kid from the suburbs.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Eh, I thought Dope was pretty disappointing. It had a few laughs and a couple of good performances, but I didn't find it compelling really and in the six months or so since I saw it, it's basically faded completely out of my mind.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It's about 8 gazillion times better than Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

Interesting- I recall him being up for a cameo role as Zod in Superman Returns, not Superman himself. Maybe he was offered Zod after he turned down Supes? Either way, he would have been a killer Stamp-inspired Zod based on looks alone.

Also interesting that he would have been in the film with Spacey as Luthor as, earlier in this interview, he mentioned they (and their films) were banned from Belorussia due to their support of a banned theater company.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish more directors would read up on the source material, unlike Bryan Singer who didn't want his cast of the original X-Men films to read any comic books. Also, reading more than one comic book, which Kevin Smith commented he felt like Zack Snyder only read The Dark Knight Returns re Batman v. Superman.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Big Justice League & DCEU News Coming Tomorrow

I think the timing of this new is curious with SDCC only a month away. So, perhaps this is announcement about the entire cast of Justice League being at San Diego Comic-Con or perhaps an announcement about Green Lantern.

I would not be shocked if it was announcing that a new director has been brought aboard Justice League.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I bet it means that they're ending the DCEU, two films in. Because that makes sense and that's what I read in here, amirite?

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I'd buy that for a dollar?

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Diggy likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

"There are still some red flags, though. The Batmobile still has huge guns on it (bigger guns, in fact). Many pieces of the production still seemed to be in flux as cameras were rolling next door (which is common, but never ideal). Steppenwolf feels like a step back from Doomsday. And the question of how the influx of Marvel-style humor will fit into the world that Zack Snyder established in Man of Steel and BvS remains unanswered."

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    1) Burton's batmobile had guns. No big deal. Doesn't mean he's shredding bodies with them.

2) Maybe, maybe not. Wait to see how they portray Steppenwolf - DCEU certainly doesn't always line up with comics.

3) Humor does not necessarily = thirteen witty Tony Snarks per scene. Marvel has ruined otherwise good scenes by overstuffing the edginess. They have also made Spiderman hilarious with his wit. Somewhere in the middle is fine - but the goal is not to become Marvel or mirror their humor.

Penguinator likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Only one use of "cool". And not even from Snyder.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  23. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

The Bat-Pod had guns. The Bat had guns. Batman totally killed Marion Cotillard/The Joker/Two-Face/etc etc etc....

Doomsday is a stupid villain.

Batman and deadpan humour is a-okay.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  24. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I hope they told him not to use that word. One must temper expectations after Man of Steel and BvS.
    I agree, but the characters need to 1) make sense and 2) be enjoyable and 3) someone you can root for. I didn't get that feeling from BvS.

heels1785 likes this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm with you on that. I enjoyed BvS, but there certainly room for growth - both in plot and character development.

Penguinator likes this.