main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The DC thread, if you ask me.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Raven, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    To recap

Superman Prime is wreaking everyones **** and destroyed an entire universe. Because he is a jerk. The Monitors are getting ******
    Villains are all banished on a crazy planet.
    The Source itself is murdering the New Gods to start the 5th World
    The Guardians of the Universe are turning into facists with their Alpha Lantern program
    Batman may be dying
    Darkseid knows way more than anyone else.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/DC/Bagleyart.jpg]

The New Weekly Series, "Trinity". This series will be by Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagely, with back up stories by Busiek and Fabian Nicieza with Scott McDaniel and Tom Derenick among the artists providing art. The series will cover the roles of the Trinity from the beginning through the future.

Two new mini-series, "Rann/Thanagar: Holy War" and "Regin In Hell". "Holy War" is by Jim Starlin and Ron Lim, while "Regin In Hell" is written by Keith Griffin. They run parallel to "Final Crisis", but don't worry, you don't have to read them if you want to. They both build off of "Countdown To Adventure" and "Countdown To Mystery", as well as "52".

On top of Geoff Johns resigning his exclusive contract with DC, he will be producing "Flash: Rogue's Revenge" in which the Rogues return to Earth to go after Inertia and Zoom. While Wally must deal with the rest of Bart's killers. We'll also have the upcoming DC Universe #0. This one-shot, at a price of 50 cents, will set up everything that is coming in the DCU this year. It is co-written by Grant Morrison.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/RRP08/DCU_ZERO_solicit.jpg]

3. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    My jaw dropped upon seeing how amazingly good that "Trinity" portrait was by Mark Bagely. (Though I thought he was still a Marvel-exclusive artist?)

But yes, there's some exciting times coming up with the "Final Crisis" event, and I'll be eager to check things out as they develop.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Bagely has signed an exclusive with DC, after his Marvel contract expired. The opportunity to do something new was too much to resist and when Kurt Busiek approached him to do "Trinity", which will allow him to do the entire DCU rather than just starting with Superman, he jumped at the chance. His ability to make deadlines and crank out 18 issues a year will come in handy.

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/DC/DC-2/DC-3/wizarduniverse.jpg]

JG Jones image used for the latest issue of Wizard.

5. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
  6. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I've heard some doubt about FC from various sources. After reading this, with the solid knowledge that Morrison is at the helm, I think it's safe to say we have the event that's worth following. :D

7. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    [image=http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/May08/fnlcr_cv1_solicit.jpg]
    FINAL CRISIS #1
    Written by Grant Morrison
    Art and covers by J.G. Jones
    Witness the historic start of the final chapter in the Crisis trilogy that could only spring from the mind of Grant Morrison ? Final Crisis, featuring stunning art by J.G. Jones (52 Covers)! Worlds will live and heroes will die in this epic tale spanning the beginning and end of the DC Universe!
    The entire Multiverse is threatened as the mysterious Libra assembles an army of the DCU?s most terrifying super villains. But what is the ultimate plan, and who will live to find out?
    Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers by J.G. Jones that will ship in approximately 50/50 ratio. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.
    On sale May 28 ? 1 of 7 ? 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

So is this going to become the Final Crisis thread or the Trinity thread?

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It should just be the DC thread, if you ask me.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/Funny/bwahaha.jpg]

I wasn't serious about the "If you ask me." :p

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Grant Morrison speaks to Newsarama about Batman.

Highlights.

So the idea behind ?Joe Chill? and the current storyline is not only to expose weak spots that Batman himself has been unaware of for a long time, it?s to develop certain elements of his biography which may have been overlooked for a while and make those elements central to his undoing. It?s a story about karma in the strictest sense of the word ? in his efforts to understand the derangement of his arch-enemy, the Joker, the young Batman inadvertently sets in motion an unstoppable chain of events which now threaten to destroy him utterly.

When I started this story, my first idea was, ?What if all the Batman adventures from the 1930s until now were all part of one guy?s life, and he?s really gone through all this stuff, and it?s happened over the space of, say, 15 years, potentially?? To make it all work and still keep Batman at his peak, I settled on him being about 35 right now, so let?s say he?s been Batman since he was 19 or 20 years old.

Now try and imagine all that continuity squeezed into fifteen years. What you have is a guy who started his mission really well and was doing a great job, and then Robin comes along and that makes the job even better, the two of them start cleaning up the streets.

Then things begin to go a little bit wrong when Dick Grayson reaches college age and leaves. And then you have a succession of different Robins with disastrous results and consequences. You have the Joker?s paralyzing Barbara Gordon, you have Bane breaking Batman?s back, No Man?s Land?(laughs). All that?s supposed to have happened in the last few years of one man?s life!

So what would that do to your head? What we?re seeing now is kind of culmination of all these terrible things that have happened to him, and the fact that his mission has run into so many problems, and led to so many deaths. The psychological result of that will play directly into the storyline in the coming months, where we?ll get to see how Batman breaks down, and how he comes back from it?or not.

NRAMA: Now, after your current story, you?re doing ?Batman RIP.? That?s been getting a lot of attention, a lot of people speculating. What can you tell us about that story at this time?

GM: I can tell you this much ? this is the first story I had planned when Peter Tomasi, the editor at the time, asked me to do Batman, which must have been two years ago now? longer. And the very first story title I noted down was ?Batman RIP?. I had a particular image for the cover, which Alex Ross has done a bang-zoom- thousand-times-better version of for the second part of the story.

So it came from there?and out of that notion came the idea for the big overarching story I?ve been telling since I first came on the book. Everything?the ?Zur-En-Arrh? graffiti, the Joker prose story, the Club of Heroes?every detail that?s been in the book for the last couple of years is significant, everything is a clue to the grand design that?s unfolding.

My run on Batman is a 25-chapter novel that reaches its climax in ?RIP? and maneuvers Batman into the greatest danger he?s ever known, at the mercy of the world?s deadliest criminal lunatics.

And yeah, I?ve seen all kinds of speculation about ?RIP,? but it?s not necessarily what people think it?s going to be, although there are very big changes coming to Batman. When we say that this is the story that changes the legend of the Dark Knight forever, we?re quite serious about that.

I?m also looking forward to bringing back the Joker the way we set him up in issue #663. This is my attempt to write the scariest Joker yet and really get into the howling heart of homicidal madness!

What else? We finally get to see the Club of Villains we hinted at in the ?Club of Heroes? storyline from last year ? Charlie Caligula, Scorpiana, Pierrot Lunaire, the murder mime?and a bunch of other cool freaks. And there?s a new Batmobile, a new costume, more Bat-Mite?

It?s Batman?s final exam, I

11. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Grant Morrison's ambitions for Batman would be easier to take if they were better written.

Honestly, Countdown is better than Batman these days. All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder is better than Batman these days. It's better than Ultimates 3, but that's pretty faint praise.

12. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Gah I'm tired of "emotionally damaged" Batman. Wasn't that supposed to have been dealt with in Infinite Crisis and 52?

13. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Yes, yes it was.

At this point, I honestly wouldn't mind a complete reset of the DCU. Complete, 100% total reset. Finish Final Crisis. Close down all the old books with Last Issues. Not right away, but give them six or seven months to wind down, to close the doors on the original DCU. Restart every books numbering over except Detective Comics and Action Comics. Use those books to basically tell a bunch of universe independant stories, without regards for continuity. They'd be the sorts of books you'd put All Star Superman and All Star Batman into.

With all the new #1s onwards, build a brand new DCU, free from the old continuity. And with the new continuity, keep it consistant gosh darn it. Yes, I know that's hard. But if DC keeps crossovers to a minimum, especially at first, it gets a lot easier.

I can dream.

14. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Man, Batman is ******* amazing right now. I have no idea what the hell you are on.

15. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Ultimate DCU?

16. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Wasn't that supposed to be the "All-Star" line, until Miller turned Batman into the worst greatest person ever?

17. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Paul Dini's Batman is a good fun read every five weeks. Morrison's Batman is boring at best, actively bad most of the time. I'll take War Games, No Mans Land, Adam West in all his glory before Morrison's current output.

18. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    All Star Batman is pretty bad, But Detective is pretty good. I haven't had a chance to pick any of Morrisons run, but most of the time the reviews of it seem positive most of the time.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He stopped being a ****. What this story reveals is how he got to be that way and why the character became like he has over his 69 year history.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Countdown #10 confused me. I'm not understanding the deal with Piper or with Brother Eye.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Brother Eye wants to have control of the New Gods technology so that it can go back to Earth and destroy everyone who has ever betrayed it. Piper's deal is that he has the Anti-Life Equation. It was established in Kirby's original series that several humans either had the full equation or parts of it and that is why Darkseid wanted Earth. Pied Piper just happened to be one of the few and this is why he and Trickster have been a focus of this series.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    ^Thanks! That really helps.

23. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    I like how destructive Superman-Prime is. :D

24. Havoc_Wing

Havoc_Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    But he nearly killed poor Mxy :(

--HW

25. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Okay. I think I might be interested in trying to get back into DC. Anyone want to recommend some good stories that might be good starting places?

As for what I've read: I think I've got the 7 Soldiers and 52 trades, but haven't read them yet. Before that, I read Rucka's Wonder Woman, Superman books up until about the time Busiek came on board, a bunch of Rucka and Brubaker Batman, Simon's Birds of Prey. Never really read Flash. The recent Green Lantern stuff looks like it may be worth giving a try. I guess I've also heard good things about Sinestro Corps, though I know nothing about it. How about JLA? I don't even know: I've been out of the DC loop too long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.