main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The DC thread, if you ask me.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Raven, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Anyone else dissappointed with the finale of Countdown? I mean, talk about going out not with a bang but a whimper.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's because they had to alter the ending a bit. Everthing was supposed to be wrapped up in #0, but then the concept of #0 became DCU #0 and "Final Crisis" was not matching up with "Countdown". So instead of a big cliffhanger moment, we have the characters examining their lives and see what's happened as a result.

4. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I picked up 0 to see what it was all about. I'm not reading too much DC except for Green Lantern here and there. But I gotta say that it's intrigued me to look at some of their titles.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's the whole point. ;)

Which ones do you want to look at, in case you need to look at some back issues and trades.

6. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000

7. DAR

Jul 8, 2004
    Definitely Green Lantern and Batman RIP for sure.

8. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I honestly think that all of the DC Universe 0 look cool and I would like to purchases them with cash moneys. I am surprisingly interested in where "Wonder Woman versus the entire cast of 300" leads to.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, for Batman, here is what you need for the "R.I.P." storyarc. "Hush", "Batman & Son", "The Black Glove" and "The Resurrection Of Ra's al Ghul". The first one is important because "Hush" plays a part in "R.I.P." and beyond it. That's by Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee. The rest are written by Grant Morrison and feature art by Andy Kubert, Tony Daniel and J.H. Williams. You don't have to read Detective Comics, since that title doesn't tie in. But if you just want some good old fashion Batman goodness, that doesn't tie into a whole lot, then you should read Paul Dini's run. I don't think I need to list GL, since you're up on his title.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Fine dining in hell?

11. DAR

Jul 8, 2004
    I know I have Hush trades so I'm good there. I'll have to look into the other ones thanks.

12. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I've FINALLY caught up with the main crux of DC material being discussed. So, my two cents:

"Countdown" Finale: I think, as a whole, the series was "okay". And some of the concepts were cool. BUT it will never be considered another "52", and it was a bit of a weak lead-in to the promise of "Final Crisis". Although I had a bit of a giggle at the line, "I'm Mary D@MN Marvel!". [face_laugh]

"DC Universe 0": Now THIS single issue preview was what REALLY got me hooked into the concepts coming in the wake of "Final Crisis". The main event, itself? It's looking great! "Blackest Night Prelude"? If "Sinestro Corps" taught us anything, it's that GLC crossovers are BOUND for greatness. "Batman RIP"? I REALLY was sucked into the preview for that arc. "Superman/Legion"? It's kriffing George Lopez on artwork. That man does NOT do artwork for bad titles. I'm very psyched for that series.

My only regrets is that there were no little "sneaks" for the "Rann/Thanagar" sequel, "Reign in Hell", or "Trinity".

(And do I get the impression that somehow the Spectre will tie into "Reign in Hell"?)

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's George Perez. George Lopez is an actor/comedian.

"Holy War" and "To Reign In Hell" run parallel to "Final Crisis", but are not actual tie-ins. These stories occur at about the same time. Only "Legion Of Three Worlds", a two part Batman story, "Submit", "Requiem For A...", "Resist", "Superman Beyond", "Rogue's Revenge" and "Revelations" are the only actual tie-ins. They will carry the "Final Crisis" banner. "Trinity" takes place at a different time and like "52", will not crossover into the DCU as a whole. Bits and pieces can and probably will make their way into the books. But it won't be like "Countdown To Final Crisis".

Not really. "Revelations" is a continuation of "The Question: The Five Books Of Blood" and will resolve a matter from "Identity Crisis". If he's involved, it's not much of a role.

14. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    [image=http://i.newsarama.com/dcnew/FinalCrisis/FCCv1bnewsarama.jpg]
    [image=http://i.newsarama.com/dcnew/FinalCrisis/FCCv1anewsarama.jpg]

15. StarscreamPrime

Dec 9, 2006
    [face_blush] Gah! Where was my head, yesterday?!? Sorry about the mix-up.

16. Takergirl316

Takergirl316 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 11, 2005

Is it just me or does it look like there's blood coming out of the Bat - symbol?

17. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Bloods flying off of Anthro's cave stick.

18. StarscreamPrime

Dec 9, 2006
    The first thing I thought of, seeing that FC cover art, was, "They're crossing 'Tor' over with the DC universe, and having him own the 'Trinity'?"

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  20. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I've just started reading the new Blue Beetle. Pretty good so far.

21. StarscreamPrime

Dec 9, 2006
    Outside of my usual issue reads, I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of the "Showcase Presents: Booster Gold" collection. It actually makes me want to see what the current BG series is like.

22. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    "A female fan who said she couldn't follow the stories in DC Universe #0 wondered if, amongst the grand storylines currently playing out, there would be any smaller, character driven story that would be accessible to the casual reader. Books like Straczynski's upcoming Brave and the Bold were pointed out as fulfilling that purpose. Then, despite Sadler's attempts to jokingly end the panel, Straczynski went down the list of some of his planned team-ups for the book such as Batman and Spectre, Lex Luthor and Swamp Thing, Deadman and Wonder Woman, Flash (Barry Allen) and the Blackhawks, Constantine and Eclipso, Doom Patrol and the Legion of Super-Heroes, Two-Face and Hawk and Dove, Challengers of the Unknown and the Metal Men and, the audience's favorite, the Legion of Substitute Heroes and the Inferior Five."

HAUGHAHFHAHGHAHFL:KJSHDFPJKNFSPKBFPKHDBFEFPKEHBFPHEFPHEFPJEH PJFHE H FEH FEHP H FEPHFHECTHULURYLOTH

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'll be reading "52 Pick-Up" soon, so I'll let you know for certain. But based on "52" and "Infinite Crisis", as well as each month's previews that are online, I'd say that Johns and Katz have done a good job of maintaining Jurgens' voice. While at the same time paying tribute to Giffen and DeMatties. That's one of the reasons I like Johns' work. He's able to find his voice, while paying respect to the writers of the last 20 to 30 years.

24. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I've just started reading the new Blue Beetle. Pretty good so far.

Jaime is awesome. I'm about five issues behind, but his book is one of the ones I'm looking forwards to catching up on. Also, if you aren't, start reading Teen Titans v.3. The arc before the current, with the Titans of Tomorrow? Featured Jaime pretty heavily. He got some good lines, iirc.

25. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    So Trinity is out and evidently it's really good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.