Amph The DC thread, if you ask me.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Raven, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    In my opinion, it's how that the announcements to the press was handled that drew attention. The term "lipstick lesbian" raises a few eyebrows.
  2. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    Exactly, the scene in #3 wasn't treated as a big deal because it WASN'T a big deal! Without all the hype, it was just another scene that most of us didn't even bat an eye at. Only when they harp on the lesbian angle (like with Batwoman here), does controversy appear. But remember, any publicity is good publicity. We're all talking about Batwoman, so DC wins in that regard.
  3. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    Now that I've read the issue I'm going to say I enjoyed it. I can't wait till Booster Gold hits the dust ^^
  4. MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head

star 6
    Booster is a little twit...as always.

Another good issue IMO, I really like Renee and the Question. More of them, less of Booster.

And the History of the DCU is a waste of paper.
  5. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh yeah. So far it has been simply repeating things we have known and have heard over and over again, and Donna Troy pretending like she is learning all of this for the first time again. Annoying as can be, I can only hope it reveals something new soon.
  6. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    I think the point of "History Of The DCU" is to make clear what is and is not in continutiy. There might be some surprises, but really it's just clearing up points and putting it in perspective. Plus, it is for new readers who just jumped on because of IC.
  7. GavinStrife Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, I'm enjoying it... however, I got most of the same info from friends, heh...
  8. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    I think at some point we're going to the individual histories instead of one global one.
  9. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Well, Superman and Batman are both getting their own Confidential books that will look back to the past given what's all happened since Infinite Crisis and in Superman's case, Birthright. It's possible that other DC books will start getting these as well. Once JLA has cleared out their unused plots, they could start moving in that direction.
  10. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Agreed.

And oddly enough, 52 is apparently getting some new readers into DC.
  11. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    That is odd, since "accessible" was not a word I would have used to describe 52, but the more the merrier. Anything that gets new readers involved is a good thing.
  12. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    The book is tied to continuity, but it also covers just enough on it's own that you can come into it fresh. Booster Gold's long history is barely mentioned. Just that he's a hero from the future looking to profit, but has somehow messed with history. Steel is a hero who is inspired by Superman to do good, but is concerned over his neice who is also a hero. And wants her to fit a more proper mold of hero. Montoya's an ex-cop who lost her partner and is forced to work with the Question, who is creepy and fun. Ralph Dibny's a hero who lost his soulmate and is trying to deal when he learns that someone has vandalized her grave.

Really, that's quite simple when you look at it. With the exception of Ralph and Montoya, a lot of these characters have been on the back burner for a long time. Granted, Booster was being used with the Superbuddies, OMAC and IC, but not much has changed since his Justice League folded it's tents in 96. Prior to his Superbuddies reunion, he's only popped up in the pages of Superman and DCU crossovers. History of the DCU just covers the basics of all that happened, so that the new readers can see about jumping onboard. And the monthly books are for the most part pretty accessable.
  13. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    I have three words that should make most fanboys rush to get this week's 52:

(highlight to read!) Wet, naked Starfire

If that don't get the fanboys in, nothing will!
  14. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
  15. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

Part V is out. If this were a conventional series, we'd be five to nine months in, and this would be either the middle or end of the run. Instead, things are still just getting started. . .

This was a nice recovery over the last issue. The art felt sloppy in places, but hey, it shipped on time, and that counts for a lot with this series. Some of the holes between IC and OYL got filled this issue, as some of the heroes on the space mission made it back, and others were accounted for. An interesting break happened in Montoya's life, a noticible wedge appearing between her past life as a good but otherwise normal cop and her footstep into the world of superheroes. The mystery surrounding Steel develops further, and someone or something called "52" is mentioned.
  16. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    I have a theory on what the "52" might be relating to.

Follow my formula

5+2+ Grant Morrison=

Guess at the answer.
  17. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Lipstick lesbians that can give birth to up to 52 super soldiers and turn fiction into reality?
  18. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    WRONG

The correct answer is Seven Soldiers.

Especially since 7S#1 has been pushed back so far.
  19. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Week Six was the weakest issue so far, though it was still good. I liked the first page with Booster's antics. And the 2-page spread with the "time is broken" stuff and all the clues was pretty impressive.
  20. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    The best part about this weeks issue was the cover. Nothing really big here, and I'm beginning to see the flaws of a weekly comic in that this is being draggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddd out as long as it can go to go from week to week. Still good enough to hold my interest though.
  21. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    See, I disagree. I think that W6 is back up there with #1 and #2. It felt like things were getting back on track.

I'm kind of reading this like I would a monthly comic - I expect 22 pages per month on the character I'm interested in, and it's delivered that.
  22. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    Maybe Booster will die cause it's all his fault. :p
  23. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Once upon a time, Superman and Batman and Spider-Man used to be weekly. They had four to five titles set in continuity. During that time, story arcs could be done and would take three to six months to complete. Depending on the arc. The only real difference is that this is week by week, whereas those books were working on either compressed time or would jump ahead. Those books would sometimes take place in one day/night.

Here, we see a whole week. Sometimes we would see one or two days, depending on what's going on.
  24. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
  25. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

Week 7 was decent. Introduced the "lipstick lesbian" Kathy Kane and Booster finally got revealed to the public. Hopefully, we'll soon see less of Booster for a little while.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.