main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The death and services of Jedi Knights

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by deardickens, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deardickens

deardickens Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2005
    One thing which has always puzzled me, and I am hoping for thoughts by posting here, is that why did Yoda and Obi Wan disappear when they died, and yet Qui Gon and Anakin were burned? It is also possible of course that Anakin did vanish too and Luke only burnt his suit, but that still leave Qui Gon. I could try and make up some sort of answer but none I can think of satisfy. My only knowledge of the Star Wars Universe is through the films and the books to the Original Trilogy, so there may be some information I just don't know concerning Jedi Knight. I would really appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

2. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    All I can tell you is that, in the EU there is a mix of things going on. Apparently, it is customary for Jedis to burn their dead and, if you go with GL and the movies, the whole dissapearing this was not something usual and will be explained in RotS.

However, I just reread I, Jedi, were Corran Horn's grandfather says to Corran that all Jedi Masters dissapear into the Force when they died.

Maybe somebody with more knowledge can explain it better.

3. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    This is a point of contention between GL's new vision and the EU. In the EU, I'm pretty sure that true Jedi fade away when they die, and true Dark siders explode (Maul's red mist is probably a weaker version of this). However, apparently GL has decided that the fading away is not something all Jedi do, but rather, something that Yoda and later Obi-wan figure out. I'm not sure on all the details; we'll have to wait till ROTS to know all of it.

4. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Sith explode? Hahaha

The red mist you see when Maul gets cut in half, is BLOOD. He didn't explode!

Jedi disappearing is apparently something they figure out in ROTS.

5. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    I seriously hope it's not blood, as:
    1) Lightsabers cauterize wounds instantly, and
    2) Blood doesn't mist out of someone like that.

6. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Palpy did explode in RotJ in what has been described as an explosion of Dark Side energy.

7. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    However, I just reread I, Jedi, were Corran Horn's grandfather says to Corran that all Jedi Masters dissapear into the Force when they died.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    Have you not noticed that the movies don't pay attention to anything written in the EU?

The red mist you see when Maul gets cut in half, is BLOOD. He didn't explode!

Yup. Just like the blood in ANH after Obi-wan disarms his opponents. :D

The lack of blood seen in ESB and Jedi was so the movie could retain a PG rating. That's all. Any other info you read on this is pure nonsensical fanboy speculations or EU garbage.

8. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    Have you not noticed that the movies don't pay attention to anything written in the EU?

That is why in my post I made the division between EU and the movies. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.