1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:NZ The death of my modem

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by ACERIMMERROCKS, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Master

star 4
    sunday morning massive lighning storm pulled power cable to pc out at wall forgot phone cable

lighning hit a pole down the road setting it on fire and sending a lot of electricity down the phone line to my modem burning it out

had to go with out net for 2 days sat in corner lots got a new modem today 90 dollars

moral of story pull both the power and phone cables out of wall during a elcetrical storm
  2. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    or get surge protectors and leave the power cable plugged in to provide an Earth
  3. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

Better yet, get a laptop and a wireless Internet connection. :)
  4. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
  5. ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Master

star 4
    got a surge protector but it wont help if the surge goes therew your phone line
  6. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    so, *only* pull the phone line out.

or buy a laptop and have wireless interent connection.

:p

you'll be the collest kid in southland!
  7. Lil_Lisa Jedi Master

star 4
    But if you're in Auckland, that won't make you the coolest kid. [face_plain] Lousy city! 8-}
  8. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    bah! Lisa - you twisted it.

it's not cause Auckland is lowsy - its cause invers is hicksville.
  9. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    oooooh, nasty.

its not that bad, they had oysters. Although, we only got them there because all the shops in bluff were closed.

mmmmm oysters....

10. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I was talking to a guy from invers who's in the halls. (we have nicknamed him Spanners :))

anyhoo...

He said that this one time last year - his school was closed due to snow - and they all went snowboarding at school. To which i was both shocked and amazed.

I asked - "where did you snowboard?"

he replied - "down the hill", he said "there are like n hills in invers except this one at this school." I asked how big it was - due to them snowboarding down it - he said it was "5 meters."

[face_plain]

LAME? INDEEDY!
  11. Lil_Lisa Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll turn to the Dark Side if this thing takes more than 10 seconds to post. [face_plain]

5 metres!! [face_laugh] Snowboarding kindergarten!
  12. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    lol

Did you see people in Chch were snowboarding today!

there was like 3inchs or less of snow - you could see patches of grass - and they were snowboarding - LOL.

at least the hill was longer than 5M hehe
  13. Lil_Lisa Jedi Master

star 4
    You gone back already? :confused:

6 metres of hill. :D People were lining up for their turn. [face_laugh] Bwahahaha!

14. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    no no, it was on the News.
  15. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    given that a snowboard is about 1.5 meters long thats really lame, yay snow on the alps skiing soon!!
  16. ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Master

star 4
    I know the scchool they went snowboarding on its the school i go to yeah they have good hills there cause its built just above a flood plane so there is like 3 small hills
  17. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4
    AceRimmerRocks: got a surge protector but it wont help if the surge goes therew your phone line

You can buy phone line surge protectors too, but I've no idea how good they are. In fact, I saw a combined phone/power surge protector/multi-socket board somewhere a while back - probably a Dick Smith catalogue.
  18. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    so long as your power cable has an earth pin and is pluged into a surge protector the current should flow through and Earth
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.