main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The death of your favorite characters. Can you handle it?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, May 7, 2014.

?

Which character would you most hate to lose in EpVII?

Poll closed May 7, 2015.
  1. Han Solo ("Well anythin's better than all this sittin around")

15 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Luke Skywalker ("Soon I'll be dead, & you with me")

68 vote(s)
    53.5%
  3. Leia Organa ("Vader wants us all dead")

7 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. R2D2 ("Yeeeoooouuuuuwwwww")

22 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. C3PO ("We'll be deactivated for sure")

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. Chewbacca ("RRroooaawrrrrr")

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Well this is a bit of a morbid thread. Still let's not shirk the tough issues hey? I think this is worth facing up to & pondering. Maybe it will help brace us for the inevitable ;)

So...for the first time since 1983 the movie Saga is venturing into the (complete) unknown. We have countless threads here where we speculate about what might happen in EpVII. Fact is we now have no Star Wars canon that currently exists beyond the time of RotJ. What did our heroes do after the credits rolled in RotJ? Party for a few more days with the Ewoks, get over their hangovers, stumble back on board their ships....& then what? We'll continue guessing & debating that question for the next year or so. One thing we do know is that the main cast (excluding Lando...for now) have successfully managed to survive for 35 years following that crazy party on Endor. Awesome!! The Falcon didn't fall apart mid flight & Luke didn't badly mistime a Force jump.

Wherever we pick up the story set 35 years later, we'll be sitting in the theatre watching with excitement but perhaps also with genuine tension & a sense of fear. Why? Because there are no guarantees. Anything can happen. All bets are off. Unless we're hopelessly spoiled we will know in the back of our minds that any one of our heroes could bite the dust at any moment. Some we will assume are less likely than others. Some we may think are almost "death proof"....but how can we be sure? It was easy back in the safety of the PT days, watching Obi-Wan, Anakin & Yoda in "danger". We knew they would be fine in the end. We also knew that Mace, Padme etc were a pretty good chance of not pulling through, so many of us were well prepared for their untimely deaths.

While it's not wise to make assumptions, I think we could argue that's it's possible or even likely that one, two or even more of our heroes are not going to survive EpVII let alone the whole ST. If rumors are to be believed JJ & co are considering the first film to be a "send off" for the Big 3 before the baton is passed to the next generation. Yikes, that sounds a bit ominous doesn't it? There's also the actors, some of whom aren't getting any younger. Who knows if they're all interested in sticking around for Ep's 8 & 9.

Regardless, IMO it's both exciting & a bit scary to think of what, both good & bad may be in store for our favorite characters. For me it will certainly give a sharp edge to that first viewing. I'll be hoping they all pull through while fearing that they may not. How tense will those action scenes be!!?

Another question, what will the fan reaction be to the death of a beloved iconic character, like...Leia for instance? Will there be anger? Will JJ & Kasdan be criticised? Will fans say "George would never have done this!!"? "Disney killed the Princess" is a headline I could see appearing if that were to happen ;)

Very much looking forward to your thoughts, & also the results of the above poll. Which character's death would pack the biggest emotional punch for you? Who is the character you'd most hate to lose? @};-

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    After having seen Star Trek: Generations, I can handle any death scene!

:p

TX-20 and HankSolo like this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    All of my favorite Star Wars characters have already died. I'm solid.

4. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Han and Leia I can handle mostly because I'm expecting at least one of them to go.

Losing either of the droids would be rough.

Luke's death would destroy me.

Indy 11, Revanfan1 and T-R- like this.
  5. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Well dammit, I hit the wrong button. My brain read the poll question correctly, but somehow it got processed as who is the most likely to die in Episode 7. I voted "Han", but should have pressed Artoo.

Out of the people listed in your poll, the one I would hate to lose the most is actually the non-human; Artoo.

The droids have been along for the ride since the beginning, and there was a time when George discussed the idea that the entire saga was actually a giant reflection on the occurrences to the Whills by the droids. I've personally always been fond of that idea, even if it was just an idea that never really grew into fruition. And still, there are R2 and 3PO...spanning the entire saga thus far.

Dying is part of being human, and dying while saving others is often part of a hero's journey, so I can stomach and expect the departure of one if not all of the big three.

To kill off R2, though; I don't expect it, and would actually dislike it greatly.

6. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
  7. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    same here
    RIP Boba Fett:(
    RIP Darth Vader:(

8. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Han's death would be difficult to take, but out of all four options his death is the one I could most live with. Luke's death would be the one I would least accept. Leia and R2 fall in between the former two for me.

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    game of thrones might not be your bag

TX-20, Yanksfan, Skellybobs and 5 others like this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Dang, I guess he answered your PM faster than I did. :p

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  11. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm prepared. I've trained myself with GoT and now I'm expecting the death of a beloved character or two.

The only ones whom I believe wouldn't (and shouldn't IMO) be biting the proverbial bullet are the droids. They need to be in all nine episodes.

Immortiss likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I also voted for Luke. Seeing R2 "killed" (permanently destroyed or deactivated) would suck, but the biggest hit would be to see Luke die so early in the ST. I expect it to happen later on in the ST, and to have a Luke Force ghost. But I don't want to see it as early as E7. It would be rough to see any of these characters die that early, actually, although I think Han may have the greatest chance of actually doing so.

Revanfan1 and Darth_Downunder like this.
  13. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I find it kind of interesting that Luke has the highest number of votes, considering the fact that even if he died, he'd still probably be hanging around as a shiny blue guy, chatting with his friends, etc. If the other characters die, though, they're really dead.

14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I wonder what the emotional reaction will be with some fans in the cinema if say Luke or R2 are killed/destroyed? I don't want to overstate things, but some fans are very attached to these characters & have loved them for nearly 40 years.

15. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Is it just me or does anyone else want to see Threepio bite the bullet?

TKT and Leias_Left_Bun like this.
  16. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Well, Han and Leia are my favorite characters, and I have gone on record as saying I think they will both die in Episode 7. So, yeah, I think I can handle it. As far as I'm concerned, this new trilogy needs to feature the next generation as the main characters. As much as I adore the OT3, they've had their day in the sun and it is time for a new cast of characters to take center stage. Killing off one, two, or maybe even more of the "classic" characters is the most effective way to do this, IMO.

While I do think Luke is likely to survive the ST, or at least almost to the end of Episode 9, I could handle it if he died, too. For the same reasons I listed above.

We also need to take into account that things can happen with the real-life actors. Even actors who are young and healthy aren't safe. Look at what happened with Paul Walker and the F&F franchise. With billions of dollars on the line, you'd better believe that Disney is thinking about this too, and has backup plans on top of backup plans.

Nobody is "death-proof." Nobody.

17. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Here it is folks, the new song from Billy Idol, "It's a nice day for a Red Wedding"

Claire1976 likes this.
  18. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013

RIP MR. Darklighter

RIP Porkins

19. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I went with Artoo, but of all the characters I think he and Threepio are safe for this trilogy. Threepio has been decapitated, de-limbed, and blown to bits with no worries, and Artoo had been blasted and electrocuted, and even actually died once already in ANH only to be back and in even better condition at the end.

20. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    True, would probably take a ship they're on to explode to take them out for good. That's possible though.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  21. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah but very unlikely. Those characters are staples of SW and can last far beyond these films if need be, so it would be counterintuitive to kill them off permanently now.

Immortiss and Darth_Downunder like this.
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    As far as Star Wars movie characters go, its already happened for me! :_|

23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    han solo's dead to me

24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Oh yeah, watch this
    [​IMG]

Visivious Drakarn and Immortiss like this.
  25. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Darth_Downunder funny.

seriously though, i've been down on harrison ford.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.