main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The death of your favorite characters. Can you handle it?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, May 7, 2014.

?

Which character would you most hate to lose in EpVII?

Poll closed May 7, 2015.
  1. Han Solo ("Well anythin's better than all this sittin around")

15 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Luke Skywalker ("Soon I'll be dead, & you with me")

68 vote(s)
    53.5%
  3. Leia Organa ("Vader wants us all dead")

7 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. R2D2 ("Yeeeoooouuuuuwwwww")

22 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. C3PO ("We'll be deactivated for sure")

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. Chewbacca ("RRroooaawrrrrr")

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Where was this "99% confirmed"? I've seen just as many, if not more, rumors that Boyega is the lead character. And even if it is Ridley, we don't know with certainty that she's Han and Leia's daughter (a good possibility, sure, but no guarantee).

CairnsTony and T-R- like this.
  2. Indy 11

Indy 11 Jedi Padawan

Nov 4, 2012
    I could see Leia surviving the whole ST.
    Han would probably go out gloriously with the conflicts at the middle or end of episode VIII and Luke, if he does become a force ghost, will go either in VII or IX, but his presence will be around during the whole ST.

Edit: I would like to see Luke survivor the whole ST, but I think they will think it is better story-wise if he doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    I keep forgetting that hyperbole doesn't translate well. [face_sigh]

Yes, there are other possibilities than she's Han and Leia's kid, but I find them extremely implausible for the following reasons;
    - Daisy's resemblance to Portman, Fischer and Ford has been commented on.
    - Her placement between Ford and Fischer was no accident. The people in charge of Disney promotion are way too good at their jobs to release a picture with her sitting between 'Han and Leia' when no connection between them was intended. What that placement did was created a LOT of buzz and there's nothing to be gained by tricking people with it when they could have just as easily had her sit elsewhere before the photo was taken and preserve the mystery. People like to feel like they're clever and have figured things out on their own. It encourages their interest where making them feel like they've been tricked is a great way to kill interest.
    - Then there's the bit they had NO control over; someone in the media got clever and went to Daisy's father (i.e. someone not accustomed to keeping a lid on spoilers) who let slip that his daughter would be playing the daughter of a princess and an action hero.

My Conclusion is that they WANT to encourage precisely the 'Is she the daughter of Han and Leia' speculation because it gets people talking in a positive way about the movie and they can milk it down the line and get extra warm feelings when they have another release that confirms people's 'clever deductions.'

And if Daisy is playing the only biological heir of Anakin Skywalker there's no way she's not going to end up the lead because, without the EU, Star Wars is entirely a story about the Skywalker line and their impact on the galaxy. Boyega may get a lot of focus in the first film, but I suspect that it will ultimately done in service to the larger story of the ongoing Skywalker legacy rather than because he is intended to be the ongoing central hero of the trilogy.

4. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    So true, I feel you.

5. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I've always said that Han should take out the Millenium Falcon and himself in the first 15 minutes of the film. It would open up thre trilogy to anything! One of the success of Breaking Bad and Games of Thrones is that they were/ are not hesitant to kill off key rolls. It makes it more real and unexpected. Besides Harrison Ford has made it clear that his character should died saving the others. What better ending for the character and saving his kids by crashing the Falcon into a Star Destroyer.

6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I'm not surprised Luke is winning, but I am surprised by the huge margin. But I figure it this way, among diehards on this board:

People know about all the old "Harrison wanted Han" rumors and are pretty prepared for his potential death.
    Leia, while popular, has always been the least of the big 3 for a lot of fans. She also gets most penalized for her portrayer no longer being a nerd pinup.

Luke was THE central character of the OT (even if Anakin is of the entire saga so far). Plenty of diehard fans aren't prepared for the lead to even become support, much less die. While Leia represents the politics, and Han the roguish cool of the GFFA, Luke represents the Jedi, and for a lot of fans Star Wars is mainly about the Force.

Having said that I do feel like a poll taken among casual fans and audience goers would likely yield Han as the character people in general would want to keep around.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  7. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Palpatine's already dead.

Hopefully Luke will live through a film or two.

8. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Obi-Wan Kenobi is my favorite character in the entire series and I have no problem with him being dead. The death of a character can be a good way to end a character. Perhaps it's lazy to some, but depending on how well it's executed, then why not?

Mystery Roach, DarthPinoy and jaqen like this.
  9. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I have a good feeling that R2 will be in all nine movies and probably 3PO; but I honestly think the others are all dispensible. For me that's one of the things that makes Ep VII intriguing as this will be a trilogy about another generation. I don't think any of the other four are safe from getting killed off and it's an obvious way of 'handing on the baton' even if it may be predictable, unpleasant and not what some fans want.

I don't want to see a character killed off gratuitously just becasue the actor may be less than keen to reprise their role in VIII or IX ;) so a good death scene for Han, er... I mean the character who cops it at the end of VII, will hopefully be integral to the plot and set up the story arc nicely for the other movies.

But to answer the question? I've always had a soft spot for Chewie...

Mystery Roach likes this.
  10. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Killing off Luke would be a huge bombshell. It would shake up the story more than any other death. Would probably affect the balance of power in the galaxy more than any other. Something tells me it's a real possibility. I have a feeling they may want to subvert people's expectations on how the story will unfold. Everyone seems to assume Luke will go through the ST as the wise old Jedi Master. His arc may be more like Obi-Wan's in the OT.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin and Luke.
    Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    R2D2. Episodes VIII and IX wouldn't feel like Star Wars without him. They can kill the rest and I wouldn't mind too much. Heck, I'm kind of expecting Luke to die in Episode VII(especially if they want him to go out similar to Obi Wan's death in ANH). If he makes it out alive maybe Han will get the axe.

13. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    If it happens, I'll just tell myself "its only a movie".
    That said, I would still feel like I'm lying to myself.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Story-wise, Luke's death would serve the most impact, and he can come back as a force ghost, so it's easiest to tolerate. I'd hate to lose R2 above anyone!

15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Not many seem too bothered about Leia biting the dust.

16. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Couldn't the droids technically never die? Like they can't just download 3PO or R2's memory into a computer at some point...have the droid die...then just replace the hardware with a replica....with the downloaded data? I'm not sure about things like this in the Star Wars universe honestly, but it SEEMS like they would have this tech.

I picked Luke as the one I don't want to see go. But....I got this bad feeling....like they're gonna try to mimic Obi-Wan and have Luke sacrifice himself somehow for the younger kids.

I think it's safe to say whoever dies will do so heroically, and it will definitely not be something stupid...like...Han dies of heart attack...that would just be lame.

17. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    It seems to me if all a droid was, was his memory and his parts, every droid would be the same other than different data here and there... but each droid has an inherent personality in the SW universe, so there seems to be much more to it than that. R2 almost died in ANH, but they were able to repair him... I wouldn't take it for granted myself.

18. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    Yeah but wouldn't that personality technically still just be a bunch of 1's and 0's on a 'hard drive' in the robot? I mean...what you're suggesting is that maybe they have some kind of....soul or spirit, but I just don't see it that way myself. BTW they theorize in 15-20 years they will be able to actually do this with a human brain as well.

19. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm not saying they have a soul or spirit... I'm saying sometimes the hardware and data come together in unique ways. Hell... I'm not even convinced PEOPLE have souls or spirits. :p

I'll put it this way... you download Artoo's hard drive into a completely different R2 unit... I do not think it will be Artoo.

As 3PO once said... "This little R2 unit has always been a bit... odd."

20. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    Oh I'm with you on that...I think if people had souls we would have found them by now. :D

EviL_eLF likes this.
  21. jedinightwing

Aug 4, 2009
    We don't know that Luke could become a Force Ghost. For what we know it's highly possible that he ran off to face Vader before Ben or Yoda had a chance to teach him that trick. Would make it a lot harder to take methinks.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    30 years though since the OT.

23. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Well, we know that Yoda and Ben learned from Qui-Gon's ghost. We also know that Yoda and Ben enabled Anakin to become a force Ghost without his needing to be taught... I'm sure they would gladly help teach Luke the force ghost trick...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. jedinightwing

Aug 4, 2009
    True, but we don't know what happened during the past 35 years or so since ROTJ. Is it possible, yes. However at this point going off what we know (EU is out), We really don't know what Luke knows.
    My original point was not whether he knows how or not, but that if he hasn't learned how to do it, that means we wont have "Shadowy Blue-guy" Luke and his death would be a lot harder to take.

25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    If there's something left to repair then you're probably right. If the droids are on a ship that is completely destroyed then it's a different story. It would be a cheap trick to say "luckily we backed up up R2's personality onto this data disk"

EviL_eLF likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.