main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The death penalty: are you for or against?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by MASTER_OBI-DAN, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    How about you get me stats on how many extra unnecassery griefing people there is from the death penalty?? The only positive thing that can be said about the death penalty is that the executed will never be able to commit a crime again. I don't think its worth it for that reason alone.

2. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    The only positive thing that can be said about the death penalty is that the executed will never be able to commit a crime again.

And I will disagree with this part, as it is the government's role to take care of its populace, and if that means putting to death those that are judged by their peers to be a menace to the good of society, then so be it.

Here is a link for you concerning your rehabilitation theory.

3. phantom31415

phantom31415 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2002
    How about you get me stats on how many extra unnecassery griefing people there is from the death penalty??

Sure, as soon as you get me the stats about the grief murderers cause.

As I have said, the murderer didn't have to kill anybody. The grief he brings upon his friends and family are his own choice. The victim had no such luxury.

4. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    How about you get me stats on how many extra unnecassery griefing people there is from the death penalty?? The only positive thing that can be said about the death penalty is that the executed will never be able to commit a crime again. I don't think its worth it for that reason alone.

1. I think the grief of the victims families need to be addressed more than the grief of the murderers.

2. As for preventing further murders. I find it ample justification for the death penalty. How would you like to explain to a mother that her child had been killed by a convicted murderer who could of been executed but was spared so he/she could kill again.

The trouble with all the do-gooders in society is that they put the rights of criminals on a par of those of law abiding people.

5. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Maveric... that's pretty scary. I can't believe a program like that was ever implemented. I'm so glad it was done away with.

6. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    "Sure, as soon as you get me the stats about the grief murderers cause.

As I have said, the murderer didn't have to kill anybody. The grief he brings upon his friends and family are his own choice. The victim had no such luxury."

Quite simply, two wrongs never make a right.

"1. I think the grief of the victims families need to be addressed more than the grief of the murderers."

I'm confussed. Is their grief not equal? Is the families of the murderer not innocent of the crime? Why should they have to suffer because of someone elses mistake?

"2. As for preventing further murders. I find it ample justification for the death penalty. How would you like to explain to a mother that her child had been killed by a convicted murderer who could of been executed but was spared so he/she could kill again."

The only people he/she would be able to kill are fellow inmates, if even. And when they finally get out of prison, there is always the chance that the murderer has been rehabilitated. There is no telling what an ex-criminal could achieve once back in society. There is a risk, of course. Its up to the system to not get it wrong, and lock the murderer up for his/her entire life if needs be.

7. DarthKarde

Jun 28, 2002
    Put in the most simple terms

Murderers are not worthy of life

8. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Ah, of course. How silly of me. *rolls eyes*

9. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I'm not completely for or against it. I think it may be overused, but there are some cases where I feel it is necessary.

I think we can all agree that killing in self-defense is justifiable. That being the case, answer this: if it is acceptable for you to kill someone to defend your own life, how sacred or precious is the life of your assailant in that moment? And is his death at that point in time is justifiable, at what point does his life suddenly become valuable again? When he ends yours?

10. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    A parent would discipline their kid if they do something wrong, and a criminal must be punished. If the family is sad about their member?s wrong doings, then maybe they should have done something about it.

If say my mother did commit a cold blooded murder rampage (you don?t know how ludicrous this sounds to me) I would be sad if she was killed by the state, but it would still be well a deserved punishment.

I find it funny anytime a crime happens, and they say how many signs there were that the person would do it, and then the relatives say "I can?t believe it." What, were they, blind?

I think that the death penalty is slightly overused in some ways, and underused in others. It needs a bit of tweaking, but it should not be gotten rid of at all.

11. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    "I think we can all agree that killing in self-defense is justifiable. That being the case, answer this: if it is acceptable for you to kill someone to defend your own life, how sacred or precious is the life of your assailant in that moment? And is his death at that point in time is justifiable, at what point does his life suddenly become valuable again? When he ends yours?"

I would say when innocent life is no longer in direct danger is when the criminal shouldn't be killed.

12. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    I would say when innocent life is no longer in direct danger is when the criminal shouldn't be killed.

Actually killing someone is far worse than just endangering their lives, but somehow the sanctity of human life kicks back in once the act is committed? If an individual can be justified in taking a life, then surely the state can. Once you've made an attempt on a human life, you've declared open season on yourself.

13. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    "Actually killing someone is far worse than just endangering their lives, but somehow the sanctity of human life kicks back in once the act is committed? If an individual can be justified in taking a life, then surely the state can. Once you've made an attempt on a human life, you've declared open season on yourself."

Killing the murderer AFTER the act of murder has been committed won't change a thing. An individuel isn't justified in taking anothers life unless their life is in direct danger, thats why we punish criminals. But, the unjustified murder of a human being doesn't give the state the justification to kill another.

14. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    the unjustified murder of a human being doesn't give the state the justification to kill another.

The point is not whether killing after the fact will change anything. If someone shows a blatant disregard for another's life, then he has no right to his own. You can't regain your right to live through taking someone else's. For endagering a life, you can die, but for taking one you should live? That doesn't work.

15. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    The reason why it is acceptable to kill a person who is endangering an innocent's life isn't for punishment or justice sake, but to SAVE a life. After the act, there is no longer a person to save, therefore killing the person ceases to be acceptable.

16. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    So what if a murderer excapes for a prison and kills again and is recaptured? At that point, he has shown he is still a threat to society, even when locked up. What about then?

I am not saying we should kill criminals of what they might do, but for what they have done, like in that case above.

17. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Lock him up in a more secure cell or prison.

18. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    Once you have him locked up, someone has to pay for him. To feed him at least. Someone also pays to keep prisons running, and to build more when they are needed, all because we are keeping alive people who are dangerous to themselves and others, and would be dangerous inside or outside of jail.

19. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Then build concentration camps where the sole purpose is to kill all the inmates!!

God, i'm beginning to think thats what you guys want. I know prison doesn't seem to deter criminals, but its the best thing we have short of sacrificing our own humanity to get rid of them. Until we come up with a better system than prison, we will always have to build mroe and more prisons and pay for their living conditions.

20. DarthKarde

Jun 28, 2002
    There is nothing inhumane in executing murderers. They give up their right to life when they unlawfully take a life.

21. phantom31415

phantom31415 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2002
    Until we come up with a better system than prison, we will always have to build mroe and more prisons and pay for their living conditions.

The irony. This may come as a shock to you, but there is a better system. It's called the death penalty.

No building more prisons for murderers and paying for their cable. Why?

Because they will have ceased to be.

22. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    "They give up their right to life when they unlawfully take a life."

Who made this rule? You? A judge? The president? God??

Lets make it apply to the animal kingdom aswell. Any lion who kills gives up its right to life. Any bear who kills gives up its right to life. How rediculous does that sound?

23. DarthKarde

Jun 28, 2002
    Why are we just refering to murderers?

Anyone else think that some drug delaers should face the death penalty?

24. DarthKarde

Jun 28, 2002
    Who made this rule? You? A judge? The president? God??

Lets make it apply to the animal kingdom aswell. Any lion who kills gives up its right to life. Any bear who kills gives up its right to life. How rediculous does that sound?

I was stating an opinion. I apolagise for not making it clear.

However comparing humans to animals is pathetic. A five year old could see the diference. I'm not going to justify your arguement by argueing back.

25. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Why not people that drive cars and smoke? After all, the car fumes make our environment all crappy, thus killing people, and second hand smoking kills too. These people forfeit their right to live!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.