main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Death Star

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Devilanse, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Hello. I was watching Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan the other day. It got to the part where Kirk was viewing that Genesis Device video. When it showed the graphic of the device being used on a planet, an idea popped into my head.

What would happen if the Genesis Device was used on the Death Star?

I know, I know...this question drips with geekyness.

Would it have an effect on a mechanical "planet"?

Would the Death Star's shields be enough to defeat it?

I'm no Star Trek genius, but I figure it would turn the Death Star into a miniature, moon sized planet.

For those who are more knowledgeable about this, I welcome your ideas.

2. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Looks like no one knows what youre talking about. Apparently their loyalties lie elsewhere...

Well,
    This Weenie doesnt think so. The genesis device didnt come with a bunch of minature appleseeds and fertile soil stuffed inside the genesis missle. It gave brought dead things back to life.

To terraform a planet the planet had to have the ABILITY to hold life. The genesis device would make something grow in dirt, but it wouldnt create the dirt.

So if it were to make a beautiful planet out of the deathstar, do you also think that if the missile were to hit a Star Destroyer or the Enterprise, that they would instantly grow grass and pretty flowers all around their hull like a giant beautiful Chia-pet with warp drive? Nahhh...

YEs, that was geeky. Now heres one, how would the genesis device react if you shot a person with it? Would his hair (the dead cells) shoot out at incredible speeds until it completely engulfed him and he died from lack of oxygen being able to get through the thick hair? Or would he simply start growing trees out of his skin?

3. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Weenie...if you've seen Trek II, you know that the device blew up at the end WITHOUT hitting a planet.

What happened?

A planet was made out of scratch.

Also...

The genesis thingy was going to be used on a "Lifeless Space Body". It didn't need to have sustained life in the past.

4. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    Thats not true. It hit an already existing albeit dead planet. Hence we got Star Trek III.

Well, come to think of it... maybe youre right...the Weenie cant really remember...

5. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    IIRC the device was fired into a nebula which had the basic elements required for creating a planet. IMHO it would not be able to do the same to hunk of metal like the death star.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The worlds the Genesis device were supposed to work on were not even to have "so much as a microbe". It may indeed take raw materials and convert them.

The DS is a whole lot of metal, so as everyone has already said you won't turn the DS into a living world, but alot of destruction could take place over the surface.

The problem for the Genesis device is that it looks like anything might interrupt its ability to work it's magic. The damage it could cause would be diminished anyway, but with the various force fields, exhausts, the magnetic field that surrounds the DS and so on, such destruction would be weakened even more.

I can picture Tarkin sitting on the bridge of the DS when an officer runs up, "Sir! We were hit with a Genesis torpedo!"

"Really, how nice. Go get me some Jawa juice will you? And use real Jawas this time I hate that fabricated stuff."--Tarkin.

7. QuiGonTim

QuiGonTim Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I think the Genisis device was supposed to re arange matter on a molecular level and set up the basic bulding blocks for life to evolve. The one used in the movie was tampered with to speed up the evolution.
    It could concivably turn Metal into Soil and create rapidly evolving life on the death star.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I think your right, it was "Life from lifelessness" afterall. I still wonder about the various systems, energies, fields and so forth interupting the process.

9. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    But "life from lifelessness" doesnt necessarily mean it creates life out of thin air. It could just mean that it would turn a "lifeless" planet like OT Tatooine or Geonosis into a thriving paradise. That would fill the meaning of "life from lifelessness" just as well, but doesnt necessarily mean what the Weenie said either.

So, if it were to hit the Enterprise, (or Star Destroyer we'll say, so this doesnt get locked) you think it would rearrange the molecules of the hull until it was a giant carnation? Or what?

Hey, have any of you guys seen Captain EO? Awesome movie! Do you think Michael Jackson was shooting little versions of the genesis torpedo out of his hands? They did turn robots and statues into beautiful dancing humans after all...

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    At the very basis of nanothechnology is the ability to turn anything into anything else. The only thing that separates a hunk of rock from a patato is the arrangment of the atoms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.