main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The defiance thread: What EU will you still be buying and why?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Enough of the doom-mongering over the antics of a mouse and a sequel!

I have decided I will still be buying those items I have preordered, neither will i be ceasing my interest in 2 upcoming books. The items?

Books: Scoundrels and Kenobi - anyone who messes with the latter gets an instant death mark!

Comics: KOTOR: War TPB, Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm, Blood Ties: Boba Fett Is Dead, Dark Times: Out of the Wilderness, Knight Errant: Escape, Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison, Dawn of the Jedi: Prisoner of Bogan, Lost Tribe of the Sith: Spiral

Why? Because the future remains unclear. If there is a reboot, then I am unlikely to partake of the future stories that arise out of it. If there isn't, things continue as they are. Whatever the case I see no reason why I should give up my interest in these items.

Plus, I've been buying DHC SW comics, in one form or another, for 20 years now. I like their work a great deal and wish to reward the creators of that with sales. Should Disney be dumb enough to transfer the licence to Marvel, I'll respond accordingly. Of the above stories only Dawn of the Jedi might be curtailed but John and Jan have been at this a long time, I'm certain they have a contingency plan. Dark Times too can, if required, wrap up fast.

My overall conclusion is that I'll continue to enjoy the ride with those works I wish to get. After that? Who knows? I'm certainly at the point where it's no longer enough to put something out with Star Wars in the title and I'll buy it. No, I want Star Wars + creator X, where X is someone I know, have prior work I've enjoyed greatly or is new but has one hell of a buzz about on these boards.

You?

TypoCelchu and Sinrebirth like this.
  2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Anything with "Dark Horse" on the cover.

You know why.

3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Still buying Scoudrels and plan to buy Kenobi.

My plans for Crucible and SOTJ remain the same as before, check them out of the library and if they are good I will buy them, but I would be surprised if I find them good enough to purchase.

Comic wise I rely on my better half to bring those home :)

4. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    If the post-ROTJ were to be wiped out, I wouldn't mind much, as most of the EU I follow in around the Prequels or the Old Republic. I'd still buy that stuff. If ALL the EU were to be retconned somehow (which I don't see happening, unless they were to completely disregard the Prequels), I'd probably finish up a few books I'm interested in, and then just be ready to move on.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Still buying Lost Tribe, Crucible and all of Sword of the Jedi :) I love the post-Endor EU, and will love it even if it is trampled. I have invested far too much into the Tragedy of Jacen Solo, and I am looking forward to the aftermath - the open story that Apocalypse have us has the potential to work just as we'll for be EU as it will Episode 7...I can only hope that they take advantage of it!

6. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Ditto. Especially if there is a reboot, I want to live it up while I still can, so I'm staying the course until I have cause to do otherwise.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Jar Jar Coloring Book.

They'll take it out of my cold, dead fingers. :mad:

Zorrixor, WIERD_GREEN_MAN and RC-1991 like this.
  8. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I'll still buy all the EU books just as I always have, and one day have them on a shelf in chronological order. (Probably gonna have to replace a few battered ones though)

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and Guinastasia like this.
  9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Everything

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Keep calm and carry on. I'll buy anything and everything I can get my hands on.

11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    If I can somehow find Dark Times: Fire Carrier, I'll buy it. (even if K'Kruhk probably isn't triumvir anymore :( )

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I don't plan on altering my buying patterns for Star Wars until more information comes forward. The only difference right now is that I'll keep my eyes open for news, but that's it.

13. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    They're making a Jar Jar colouring book? OMG!

Zorrixor likes this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Mine will remain unchanged (unless someone makes an official announcement saying all post-ROTJ EU is gone or something). But I've never been the kind of fan with the need to BUY EVERYTHING anyways (though I do like to know what goes on in everything!)

I'll still be buying DOTJ.

I'll very likely buy CRUCIBLE no matter what (even before the Episode 7 announcement, I was betting that this would be their last big story).

I still plan on looking into SOTJ and buying it, if the reviews for the first book are decent enough. It's time for someone from the new generation to finally take the lead, especially a woman.

The rest will depend on how good the reviews are.

15. Shepherd492

Shepherd492 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2011
    I will buy whatever catches my fancy right up until they say the EU is no longer canon, or Dark Horse loses the comics license. After either of these, I'm done with the franchise.

This means I'm still excited about pretty much everything except Sword of the Jedi and TOR: Annihilation.

16. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Same for me, which has been my MO for quite awhile.

So, most likely trades for Agent of the Empire and LToTS, Scoundrels and Kenobi.

17. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Pretty much everything, just like I always have. (Well, when I can afford it. Books are so expensive nowadays! I mostly check them out of the library, and buy the ones I really like, or from discount bookstores, used books, etc) But I'll definitely keep on reading them. Except Kevin J. Anderson. Is he still known as Burger Boy?

18. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    The only thing's i'll show no interest in buying would probably be anything concerning the movies, depending on what the movies are based on (Alternate timeline, reboot, etc.) If they're good though i'll buy books surrounding them, if they're like TCW i'll avoid them, just like I do those books.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'll keep buying books and comics. I just got the Darth Plagueis paperback today, even though I've already read it. Why? Because I like arranging the paperback books in chronological order. The few hardcovers I have get a separate spot, but I only have two of those, the reason being they're signed.

I think it was Jennifer Heddle who already mentioned working on novelizing the new movies, or plans to do so. SW literature isn't going anywhere, even if canon is.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like arranging the books chronologically as well and got Darth Plagueis and Revan last night. I almost missed getting DP. Didn't see until I was going up to buy Revan. I looked in the area it was earlier but it wasn't there.

21. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Alot of my books are in the attic, as I just don't have room for all of them. :( But again, thank God for my local library.

(I always arranged my books chronologically too)

22. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    When Legacy Omnibus comes out...

BoromirsFan likes this.
  23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Why was he known as Burger Boy?

24. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    Pretty much this. I myself don't really have much if any interest in the post ROTJ EU (save for Legacy maybe) so my purchasing wouldn't really change. I'm used to major franchise shifts by now, having lived through the debacle of Duke Nukem Forever and the introduction of Prometheus and it's themes to the Aliens universe. And all I can honestly say is, sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches. ;)

25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm guessing I'm a bit of a rarity here as already the only SW products I bought were what Dark Horse comics interested me. In the rare event a book looked like it wasn't a complete waste of paper, I get it from the library, since I don't see a reason to gamble my money with the possibility that Lucasbooks might put out something decent.

My attitude probably won't change a whole lot.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.