main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Deleted/Missing Scenes Thread!

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Avnar, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    probably the same reason snowspeeder scene was cut from TFA... it disturbed the pacing or something..

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Agreed 100%

I would pay just for the sake of curiosity if they release the original cut. But the current cut of Rogue One is AMAAAZING, so it is just for curiosity.

Knightstalker137 and JediLight like this.
  3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    "Just for the trailer" is the vast exception to the rule. Like you said, its easy to see where it fit in, and while it was a great shot, like most of the stuff that seems cut it doesn't really change anything at the end of the day.

Bohdi got a lot more. Its clear now why Riz has been more open/talkative about the reshoots. They all centered around him (like he said).

4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm wondering if in the original cut some of the characters survived while in the version we got they all died. I could see Disney wanting to just get rid of all the characters so they wouldn't have to explain why none of them are in the OT.

Also the final battle may have been shortened so they could add a bit more character development into the movie.

5. Darth Zitious

Darth Zitious Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 2, 2016
    It would have been cool to see the tie fighter hover over her, and her staring at it accepting her fate. Then suddenly an X-Wing comes out of nowhere to save the day!

Avnar likes this.
  6. weezer

May 16, 2001
    It would be such a non issue for LFL to explain that. Of all the justifications/reasoning of everyone dying I think that would be the least likely reason to change it.
    Thats probably exactly what it was, or a variant on it. Sure it would have been cool, but part of the problem really seems like there was lots of "cool" with little answer of how to put it all together.

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so has anyone read the novelization ? I'm wondering if it includes the original material

whostheBossk and GunganSlayer like this.
  8. jedi_jra

jedi_jra Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2011
    The Bohdi scenes were what changed everything. Rather than receive a transmission, Galen sent Bohdi. For the final battle, Bohdi having to connect the cable to the ship to communicate with the fleet to prepare for a transmission was added to enhance (and provide the challenge) for the transmission from the citadel tower. If I had to guess, the original cut had Jyne, Cassian, K2SO returning to the ship, Bodhi then took Jyn to the tower to transmit, but it was destroyed killing an underdeveloped Bohdi just as Jyn was dropped off at the tower. The tie fighter was then Cassian, or another rebel, coming to save Jyn. Or this could have been her death scene thus eliminating the touching scene with Jyn and Cassian on the beach.

The rewrite not only enhanced Bohdi's character and death, enhanced K2S0s death by sacrifice, but eliminated the time and need to get from the data room to the beach, and then back to the tower. And as mentioned may have given us the touching scene at the end with Jyn and Cassian.

In the end, we sacrificed some great beach action scenes for character development and payoffs.

9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Forgive me if this has already come up, but that first shot we ever saw of Krennic standing with his pistol in hand on the Death Star is not in the movie is it?

[​IMG]

Shadojoker likes this.
  10. DV-213

DV-213 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 18, 2014

[​IMG]

I thought the Tie Fighter scene in the trailer was somewhat similar to the scene in Aliens (1986) where the dropship arrives from below at the unstable platform.

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    what i wanna know is what happened to the partisans when they were trying to escape Jedha. did they make it or did they get wiped out?

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    They both knew they were about to die. Holding hands meant way more than kissing would have. Kissing in that situation would have been absurd and wouldn't have fit either of their characters. I don't think they're 'afraid' of romance, but I'm hoping they're going to hold off on them until it makes sense in context.

CowMoo likes this.
  13. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I second (or eighth) this. What made it thru to the novelization, something in progress and edits during the turmoil of the reshoots?

The book is a good 20% longer than TFA's, yet the movies are of comparable length. How much more did Alexander Freed put in?

I think we have an extended sequence with am adolescent Jyn and still-bald Saw, that whole "What will you do" speech. She wants to join up, he resists, lies and leaves her. If not in the book, it might be a deleted scene.

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I think "what will you do" plays into the beginning. On screen Saw was in the same position, back drop, etc. He even said something to the effect of "now you know what to do" or something like that.

15. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    The door is the same I think.

16. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Also, this wasn't in the movie either.
    [​IMG]

It's fascinating to find so much cut stuff and makes speculation great fun too. Lots of things to wonder about until the bluray release.

whostheBossk and vncredleader like this.
  17. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Great thread! I was expecting there to be one on this subject, because there is a ton of material to discuss.

It's pretty evident that the reshoots were very substantial, and because so much was actually changed from previous versions of the film, I doubt we'll ever get an "extended" or "director's cut" of the film.

I'm curious about the novelization. What was left in that? Anyone have a chance to get a hold of it yet?

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    It's a fun thread. I definitely noticed scenes from the trailers that didn't make the cut. Since I loved RO so much, I'm going with that the scenes were cut for a reason.

19. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    The phrase on the cover of this forum is not in the movie.

[​IMG]

xezene, Shadojoker, DV-213 and 2 others like this.
  20. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    I will see a director's cut in the future.

Avnar likes this.
  21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah I was thrown off by how that wasn't in the film. When then were climbing up to the radar dish I was thinking, "well I've seen them in the trailer running on the beach with the tapes and I remember seeing a tie fighter appear on front of Jyn when she's on the bridge so I guess the tie fighter is going to blow up the radar and Jyn and Diego Luna's character will have to work their way down to the beach." Buuuuuut...none of that happened. I'm guessing some version of what I just described didn't work as well as what ended up in the movie. Still I was looking forward to that tie fighter/Jyn standoff moment. Oh well.

22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015

I wanted to like that line but yeah...I'm glad they cut it.

23. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    As was previously mentioned, the line "The POWAH we are dealing with here, is immeasurable." was missing.

I found it interesting because in that little clip, he seeming very confident around Vader, whereas in the film he seemed much more timid and fearful of him. I wonder if that was something that was changed in those reshoots.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  24. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Oh yeah, that too... In the end, Krennic became like what happened to Ben himself (as well as Mads), when filming with Darth Vader - a huge bag of nerves because of being in insane awe when in the presence of the Dark Lord!

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/15/rogue...one-lost-their-st-around-darth-vader-6325001/

Sent from MillenniumFalcon.exe using Tapatalk

25. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I think the plans were in another building on Scarif. Jyn, Cassian, and K2 steal the plans then have to make their way across the battlefield to the tower to transmit while being chased by Krennic. The ending was simplified by putting it all in one building. The third act was probably running too long and this was a way to take out an extra step and get to the ending quicker.