main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Demise of Ganner Rhysode

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MysteryWhiteBoy8, Mar 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    All this talk of SbS and DJ has left me with a sense of longing. Longing for Ganner Ryhsode. Not "that" kind of longing, but in the earlier NJO books, especially paired with Corran, he seemed like a pretty decent character with obvious strengths and weaknesses. A lot was done to develop this character.

My question is. . . . after Ganner's obvious lack of activity in the SbS mission, why have we seen a demise in this character's prominence? Unless I am wrong, it was my belief that he was the oldest Jedi among the strike team. Was he merely a good tool utilised well by MAS? Or was he being set up for prominence in Knightfall? With Knightfall cancelled, have the authors just stopped using Ganner?

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this. I thought he was a great character in the Dark Tide duology and was disapointed by his role in SbS. Feed me your knowledge and opinions, oh wonderful esteemed JC EU forum members!

2. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Think of Ganner as Kyp Lite. He was used when Authors needed Kyp's character, but couldn't use Kyp. I'm sure we'll see him again.

3. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Sadly, I think you may be right. It wouldn't take much effort on my part to imagine Ganner rolling up his bindle and heading off to EU Limbo. A wasted opportunity if the authors do not make an effort to maintain and develop his character.

4. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Sadly I think he will be killed off bravly.

5. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Sadly I think you're right chissdude. :(

They may even go the extra mile and kill him off bravely! :eek:

Damn, I really need to stop this.

6. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    No Barns, its my fault...

7. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    DJ did him good. For such a small time used, he got a lot of description. Like I joked once, his few pages gave him more characterisation than Karrde's crew in five books of chances. JE put him in the best NJO moment for me too. SbS showed him alright too, IMO. I preferred these to the DT version of him, where he at times felt like he was there to make Corran look better.

I think he was written to be like he is- a side character. Not everyone has to be main

8. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I really liked Ganner and was very depressed when he disappeared from the NJO for like 5 books. Needless to say, I was psyched out of my gourd when he showed up again. And I think he's got really bad bookage. He was well written in DJ, when he was actually there at all. And I agree with everybody. He probably will die, and I will once again be depressed.

He hasn't been given the amount of action I would give him. I think he should be a bigger character.

For a while there, (call me crazy) I thought he might actually find the balance between the two "factions." That, obviously didn't happen. This was before the whole Conquest thing, and then I thougt Anakin would figure it out, but we all know how THAT ended up. So I'm still waiting.

9. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Ganner is a nice character, an important but not main part of the NJO.

10. mirax_T

mirax_T Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 1999
    I would say that after DT, even though he was stil present, they stopped trying to give him a character and thus he seems more a like a name now. i agree that he is a side character, but it would be nice to see more of his character shine through in his few moments of page-time

11. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    they stopped trying to give him a character and thus he seems more a like a name now. i agree that he is a side character, but it would be nice to see more of his character shine through in his few moments of page-time

IMO, Ganner was given more character in DJ than DT

12. BattleDog

BattleDog Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2002
    Ganner is kinda like Corran's side kick, I think when Corran gets more time we'll see him again. The two go well together.

13. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    He went best with Kyp :)

14. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Yeah, RF. That scene in Jedi Eclipse with them fighting back to back is one of the greatest scenes in the entire NJO.

15. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I gotta go back and read this, Face, JE is the only Lucano book I liked, don't know how I missed this.

16. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I want Ganner back in a big way, too !! :D

17. MysteryWhiteBoy8

Sep 4, 2001
    Personally, if you get Jag Fel out of the picture (which I think is what Chissdude is trying to do at this very moment) Ganner is #1 on the list of guys for Jaina. Forget about Kyp, he's way too old. I thought there was some chemistry there eh ?

18. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Maybe, but unfortunately it isnt going to happen.

19. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    I'm willing to be in on Chissdude's little conspiracy...

Anyways, for about five minutes in Ruin, I was all for Ganner and Jaina. And if Kyp gets killed off, (which unfourtunatly, I'm sure will happen, just because I'm a cynic) I'd be all for the two of them hooking up.

20. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    And if Kyp gets killed off, (which unfourtunatly, I'm sure will happen, just because I'm a cynic)

You're a cynic, I see that DR will want all Jedi to agree with Jacen. ame end result [face_plain]

21. MysteryWhiteBoy8

Sep 4, 2001
    Perhaps. . . . but perhaps Kyp and Jaina will be strictly plutonic. I sure hope so. That relationship would weird me out big time. Especially when you consider her as three year old protecting her uncles body from bad-ass Sith apprentice Kyp. But there are other reasons as well.

Ganner's levelled off considerably during the NJO and become a strong character. I sure hope we see something come of him, though i doubt it will mean that he'll get with Jaina. I think the Jaina/Jag relationship has been pretty much established.

BUT

what if they get together and BREAK UP??? it happens in real life. Not in Star Wars though. The only break up we've seen is the "divorce" of Han and Leia from the GoDV series, but does anyone really consider that when thinking about the GFFA. I didn't say that to get into a canonist or continuity debate though, please people.

I'm thinking hard right now but has anyone actually broken up because their relationship didn't work? Luke and Callista broke up, but it wasn't because they didn't love each other. Luke and Gaeriel were never together. Corran and Erisi were never together.

OH! I got one! Wedge and Qwi broke up! I had forgotten all about that. Great. So much for my theory.

22. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Divorce is a big no no in the GFFA. Nobody does it. Which is not necissarily a bad thing.

23. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Okay...HTML doesn't work...so I'll try UBB...

Quote: "For a while there, (call me crazy) I thought he might actually find the balance between the two "factions." That, obviously didn't happen. This was before the whole Conquest thing, and then I thougt Anakin would figure it out, but we all know how THAT ended up. So I'm still waiting."

*hopes that works*

Anyway, that's interesting. Now that I think about it, it seems as though Michael Stackpole was leading Ganner down that path. After all, Ganner was originally a member of Kyp's faction, but later on, he started seeing things from Corran's (Luke's faction's) perspective.
    After the DT duology, the Del Rey probably decided to scrap that idea, though.

And as for Kyp being too old for Jaina--take a look at Han and Leia. Besides, Kyp and Jaina have got some real fire in between them!

Granted, DR's seemed to pretty much establish that Jaina wants Jag and Jag wants Jaina...and I have to admit, Jag's cool. :)

24. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I think Ganner has been well represented in the NJO. He has gotten his time to shine and has been fleshed out rather well. I wish they would treat more Jedi like they did Ganner, namely Kenth Hamner and Kam Soulsar. I feel that there are many important Jedi who we have just not gotten to know.

25. MysteryWhiteBoy8

Sep 4, 2001
    Good point. Kam Solusar is kind of a weak character in my opinion. In DE II he was pretty nasty and powerful, and now he's kind of a wuss. No offense, the character's concept and his role are still important. I liked how he was portrayed in Union, but i couldn't stand him looking like Bruce Willis.

I don't think i'm gonna get flamed by the Kenth Hamner Fan Club so i'll say this anyway. I think I actually hate Kenth Hamner. His character development sucks, he hasn't DONE ANYTHING, within the NJO except for maybe talk to Luke and Mara a few times. Is he at eclipse? Does anyone care? Maybe i just don't like his name. . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.