main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Demotion of Strilo

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ObiWan506, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Keeping to the basic facts, would both camps agree that:

1. Strilo is really passionate about continuing to serve as a mod;

2. Stilo, in his own forum, is good at his job;

3. Strilo must change his behaviour in Mod Squad if he wants to keep said job.

If Strilo is as keen as he says to stay mod, and agrees to make changes in his behaviour, then a probationary period overseen by an impartial party (agreed on by both sides) would seem to be the way to go. There can't be that many people lining up to mod the forums these days; getting rid of someone who is very keen to do the job, and is good at the major requirements, seems something of a waste.

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    In theory, a solution like that should be a simple solution. To bad there are to many hard heads involved to solve this issue that way.

3. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I find this interesting. Exactly what action are you going to take and what are you going to base it on. While it was ignored in my mega post a few pages back I'll point it out to you again in a snap shot:

1. The very existence of this thread violates your own Rules. And this thread is the SECOND example of the violation of those rules.So you break your own rules by allowing the existence of this thread, but are going to enforce other rules within the thread that shouldn't be here. Wow, Really??

2. Early on the those in power waved the banner of not addressing the issue publicly, but allowed yourselves to be sucked right in and have gone back on that statement. The result of your continuing chatter on the subject that you weren't going to be discussion has lead some pretty interesting places.

3. Despite several admissions this entire thing has been bungled from the start not the least of which being that the complaint process and it's resolution was corrupted from the start by personal feelings (people are human) and did not exactly follow your own rules for moderators, and instead of all parties coming to a reasonable agreement we are what, 15, 16 pages into the debate. If you are going to continue to be the powers that be then for ONCE show some fortitude and shut this thread down and stick by your guns and stand by your decision. If you are going to continue to waffle as evidenced by the existence of this thread contrary to your rules which seem to an outsider to be followed as convenient then go back to square one and go with one of the handful of good suggestions that have come forth to resolve this. Otherwise, continue to have a section of the board polarized and continue have nothing good come from this.

4. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    No, this thread is not against our forum rules and regulations. The userbase has always had the opportunity to question the Mod Squad upon decisions that impact the forums as long as they are done so in an appropriate fashion. It has been this way for over 10 years and will continue to occur as part of the efforts to ensure as much transparency as possible is provided in the way in which those who help to run these forums operate.

Initially these matters were treated in a fashion to preserve the privacy of effected individuals. When they chose to waive that, full disclosure has been provided.

Finally, the roles undertaken in running these forums require a lot of varied responses from those of us asked to do so. Sometimes it will require us to make the hard decisions and stand by those no matter what. At other times it will require us to actively consult with the userbase as to what directions we should take. It does not undermine the administration to actively engage with the users in an effort to explain the fashion in which major actions are undertaken, nor to deal with and understand their concerns over decisions that will have an active impact upon their experience using these forums.

It is duly noted that you disagree with all of the above and you believe it goes against our rules. This is a view not shared by the administration nor a majority of users, but you are welcome to that viewpoint.

Edit: Grammar.

5. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I agree to disagree with your disagreement over what I disagree with.

That being said, you do have a mess on your hands, good luck.

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    =D==D==D=

Just as an aside, I really dislike seeing the "Pig Pile on Strilo" that permeates this discussion from some of the users - really unnecessary, guys.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'd like to mod The Arena some day.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

8. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm still in the process of wading through this thread, but I thought I'd throw in my $.02 regarding personality conflicts in the MS.

When I modded here (both in the individual prequel movie forums and in YJCC), YodaJeff and I routinely and openly argued with each other (sometimes bitterly), without any repercussion. My only ban (or any memorable punishment) came from a Senate argument well after I stepped down.

9. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    Well I just read through most of this and don't really know either of the personalities, but KW is right. This was a PR disaster. If you admins had bothered to release a detailed public statement outlining your reasons it wouldn't have been that hard to get Strilo's consent first. Then you would have it all out there and there wouldn't need to be this back and forth. Instead due to institutional hubris you wait until the massive backlash from your decisions come to respond.

You might as a show of good faith recognize how poorly you handled this decision, even if in the end it was the right one. Because right now all I can surmise is that Grimby is Michael Scott and Strilo is Stanley.

This forum is almost dead, why do you care about all these stupid rules? If you had fewer rules there would be less to argue about. And why is some fake position of authority so important? Move on with your life Strilo, is all this drama really worth it? Is there really nobody else that can do the service you provided? If whatever forum you are on is like 10 people anyways maybe so, but then why does management care about that little corner? Just tell him to stay out of MS issues.

All I know is that KK was a good mod, so if you were the one who pushed him out then maybe you've had it coming. I don't know and don't really care. Get a life people, seriously. Thanks for keeping this place spam and bully free but these little power trips are just sad.

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I haven't been online much since page 4, but reading through the thread brought up two or three things I have to raise my eyebrows about.

Strilo's refusal to work with the head admin under the described circumstances might have been said in the heat of the moment and he might have regretted it by now, but it's not exactly an entirely unreasonable position. At least he said so, most people (like me) just kinda stop some day, if indeed they ever did anything in the first place. I was ready to stop talking to 2 or 3 head admins, but they stepped down before I had a chance, so now I look silly saying bold manly things like that. I and many others before me, however, simply stopped bothering with MS at a certain point.

No, I know this isn't about doing something or nothing in MS. It's about How. The word "inevitable" crept up a few times here and I must say: Really? His demotion was inevitable? Why? Because he's been doing the same thing for 7 years? Well... duh! Half the time it worked, and I can't have been the only one trying to take notes from that sometimes (L_S thread anyone?).

Some people here wonder why Strilo didn't just change and improve and all that. It may be worth a thought, but I honestly wonder how badly half the MS and all of the admins handle one grumpy old (37, not old) shouty person. If a Strilo post in MS intimidates you enough so that you back off quietly, at the very least stop posting in MS entirely (aka Join the Majority, heyoo!), at best step down. You don't have to like it, but even if your forum is quiet (and today even JCC is quiet) and your users are never like that, you should still be able to deal with things like that. The conflict-thing is in the mod questionnaire for crying out loud.
    And this is me, recent ex-mod, outright telling you to shut up and go away. Tim did no such thing, ever; he merely assumed that if people have something to say, they'll bloody well say it, no matter what. You know, like he was doing. Like MS reportedly wants it out of their mods - or they wouldn't have said they missed my (admittedly much much friendlier) way of being blunt.

And that ******* goes for you, too, admin team. You are the first one to go this far (and promptly went too far). That's not because his demotion's inevitability has an expiration date of November 11 2010, it's because MS has been in hibernation for over a year (the reason I stepped down). I know it's dreadful to be woken up loudly and suddenly and having to deal with **** again all of a sudden, but you didn't even wait for coffee in this mangled morning-metaphor.
    Oh yes, I said wait. I know, you keep claiming this has gone on for years, but others weren't too lenient, they were just able to take it for what it was, inherent problems included. What, did Sape, roo and 506 do nothing but say "oh it'll work out somehow"? Kinda hard to believe, esp. for roo. And 506 isn't lenient - he told the broken JCC team 2 years ago to shape up or else, forced a Latin-lover on us and lured me away from JCC with promises of candy. He's a manipulative stubborn bastard who walks on corpses and breaks hearts - and I mean that in the nicest way possible as he's the only head admin I never stayed mad at.

Sure, that's easy for me to say, I never saw the dozens of complaint-PMs and I don't remember ever receiving Strilo's "wrath" (...), but I also never saw an issue end unsatisfactorily after all the good mods ran away from the lidless Eye of Strilo, wreathed in flame. (I only know of one issue that died down without an end, and I'd take the lord's name in vain in frustration, but I still can't!). If work (what little there is left to do) still gets done and everyone follows the rules (the actual rules...) then...

... then Strilo was demoted because he made people, including the head admin, uncomfortable? Can I send an admin a list of JCCers who made me more than uncomfortable? (I was an awesome mod, you meanie-heads!)

Okay, fine, I realise how that all sounds. "Just deal with it" is kind of a sorry excus

11. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    =D=

For that senny, you can have a cookie. You channeling Chyren by any chance?

12. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Love you too, buddy.

Hey guys. Any chance of a progress report at this stage? I'm not rushing anything, just looking for an update since it's been a few days.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    We've been discussing it, both among the admins as well as in MS generally. We should have something to say pretty soon.

14. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    And by "soon" you mean.... ?

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Probably tomorrow.

16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Do it today, I don't care.

17. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    I have a question about this little paragraph here.

Was this the message that was put forward to the other admins, was it a case of back me or I leave?

Because if so, how would or could they not agree with him? Seeing as we are moving and it appears that Grimby is doing a lot of the work involeved in that as well as running the board on behalf of the owners, how could the other admins not agree to his wishes?

Also by the sounds of things strilo already knows the answer to the current discussion, so why drag it out any longer, reading through all of this thread the admins are pretty clear that they want him out and are not going to change their collective minds about this.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    He said if the other two admins disagreed with him, he would stand down.

Note that "stand down" here basically meant he would rescind his request for Strilo to step down ("stand down" from his stance), not step down from his position at MS. Grimby's involvement with the move was completely irrelevant to the discussion and was not considered.

19. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Did he ever suggest that either you, or Lag step down, if either of you did not agree with him?

I mean, he apparently wants everyone in MS involved in this, and I'd imagine he expects the MS to back him up in full on the matter.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No one in MS has been asked to either fall in line with Strilo's demotion or step down. Don't be ridiculous.

21. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I actually never used the term "stand down". I said I would concede if the other admins didn't agree.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Not in the slightest. Had we disagreed, Grimby would have conceded, his request for Strilo to step down would have been rescinded, and that would have been that.

23. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Fair enough.....

So, why is it still being discussed in MS then?

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Because this time we don't want people to think we're not ready and/or imprivising things. You'd do it too. :p

25. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    lol, why not end it the way it was started, and worry about not improvising for the next demotion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.