main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Development Of The Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Artoo-Dion , Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    For one IIRC that was 2B in cash. Which is not much at all to them then 2B in stock. They got SW super-cheap. On the open market Lucas might get Pixar money. Certainly another billion or more at least.

Sure because he's constantly shifting and adjusting it just like from 1973 forwards. As he says he sees it all through a fog or haze and has to get through that and get it down to the details.

Well again anyone really paying attention (and that is plenty of people especially we here on these fan boards) knew that long ago before the letter he sent to the LOST crew for the finale.

He knew Anakin was going to become Vader but until months after ROTS' principle shoot he didn't really lock down why.

2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    KK said it would take Arndt much longer to really create something fantastic than Disney was willing to give in time. I assume Arndt was working on Lucas's conception. It was then that JJ took over as writer and in order to secure legit status Kasdan became his mentor and co-writer. At that point I think Lucas was out, because it was all start from scratch. Can anyone blame Disney for wanting to pump out a product to make returns on investment, pleasing fans and stakeholder? No. It's just the crunch between time, the creative process and business that doesn't allow for the trifecta of all those competing forces to come out on top equally, in harmony.

I agree that Lucas would have added a layer of originality and I would like to have seen his vision satisfied while others write, direct and create it. It wasn't to be. Now it's all this disharmony. What ever will we do, lol.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    He would’ve scored 10/10 for originality. Hard to get more original than delving into a micro-biotic world. Originality isn’t everything.

WriterMan and heels1785 like this.
  4. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    It appears that that's the motto of the ST creators. Congrats, 4/10 for originality. Hey, it isn't everything! What you're supposing is Lucas's original ideas isn't that original and I doubt it's anything like you're surmising.

5. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    That's the thing, I don't want 10/10 originality. Not in Eps 7-9 of an ongoing saga. Feeling like a continuation means retaining familiar elements that came before. Nothing in ANH-TESB-ROTJ leads me think that the natural next step in the next episode is a micro-biotic world. Though perhaps it was in the OT & was just too small to see.

WriterMan likes this.
  6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Because he knew full well he couldn't do that. He said as much in the Charlie Rose interview. He probably would have ended up taking charge once again. That's pretty similar to how TCW series started. Lucas, in the early seasons, wasn't even on the periphery. But as it went on, Filoni said he gradually got more and more involved. Eventually, most of the stories ended up coming from him. That's probably what would have happened here, but he didn't want to devote ten years worth of his twilight years on this undertaking. So really, he did the bravest thing of all (and in all honesty, the most professional): moved away from it.

Completely agree. Such a shame it didn't work out.

7. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Well, first off, the narrative was never told chronologically. Yes, numbers go 1, 2, 3,...but the last film(s) produced in the series do suggest it. But if we want to ignore it or you didn't like it, that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact. There is no continuation when what was given before is only redressed again and not addressed as a proper continuation of those themes and concepts given when last left off. Whatever your view of the PT it did expand our understanding of the galaxy and introduce concepts about the Force that have yet to be explained. Now we have stories that are familiar but not progressive, even regressive.

jedi-soon likes this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It's not just about us. The saga is also designed for new young audiences & future audiences. For years, decades & generations ahead. Ep VII directly follows Ep VI. It's the way it is, & some jarring wacko left turn in the 7th episode into the micro world doesn't sound like a smart way to go. IMO.

9. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, because inexplicably they would not be able to understand the natural, organic development of a story across generations. Your characterizations are completely unfounded. They might 'sound wacko', but so does a giant walking dog who walks on two legs and co-pilots a space ship without proper context. You make it sound as if all would be unintelligible. I hope you're not suggesting Lucas stupid or not smart. I'm fairly certain that anything Lucas and Arndt might have developed together would have worked whether one watched the episodes as released or chronologically.

KSennia and The_Phantom_Calamari like this.
  10. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    What a bizarre way of interpreting something so innocuous. That wasn't Jar Jar's voice, and Matthew Wood was the one who added it to the soundtrack on his own initiative (it's his voice). George just kept it in because he apparently either liked it or didn't mind it.

KSennia and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Sorry but what are you talking about? Micro-world? Where are you even getting this? We know what Lucas' VII was about and aspects of it were in the VII and VIII that were made. Anything to do with the Whills would be another layer.

The real "wacko" left turn to the entire saga of 9 is in TLJ which effectively disregards the previous 7 movies.

I've never heard Lucas was ever anything but completely involved in TCW from the start. If there was some idea from him that after setting it up he could move back more it seems to have never have happened or if it did then not for long.

Depends how you mean it. Was Shakespeare original? He did his own versions of play that existed before or historical events. Were The Beatles original? Yet for years they didn't do anything startlingly original as such. It came out of the way they did it. Likewise is there anything so original in Star Wars in 1977? The technology was used before, the stories were done before but it was in the telling that was original and using all those elements that existed but never done quite that way before.

Lucas in essence remade ANH over and over again in one way or another. The new films have remade ANH over and over again (including R1 and Solo) yet the far more distinctive difference in Lucas' approach and method to the others is evident. It would have been again particularly for the ST since the ones made are quite evident in their remakery-ness.

Nothing in IV-VI made you think that the story should go into the Will of the Force?

Of course the term Will of the Force was never actually said in the OT, nor was the Living Force, balance of the Force, Prophecy of the Chosen One, the Sith, the Rule of Two etc etc.

Most of the saga's actual mysticism is derived from it's introduction in the PT which then flows by story into the OT.

In this case the exciting thing would be that the ST would get into the Will/Whills of the Force then that story would flow backwards and add more layers to the entire saga so just as the PT made the OT a way better story I think we'd see the same again and the ST would made I-VI far better stories.

jedi-soon and KSennia like this.
  12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    The fandom embraced TLJ? where have you been?

As for TFA and RO, they didn't get let off easy when it came to criticism.

Not really. Lucas adapted the prequels each film every time there was criticism, which is why Jar Jar ended up being pushed into the background.

Although perhaps he was pressured to do so, who knows.

Disney won't be controlled by the fandom though. especially not helped when some fans are harassing actors for their work in the film.

I'l leave this RJ quote here

13. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    This thread really didn't disappoint.

For what it's worth, I now do think it possible that Disney could create films worse than Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace because that's what these films by Lucas would've been.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    You don't know anything about what they would have been like. No one in this thread does. That's why even the people in this thread excited about Lucas's ideas have admitted that they could have been disasters or they could have been great. But one thing they wouldn't have been is soulless re-treads of old material like the movies we have are.

The way it went is I believe he was very involved right from the start, but by the second season he was so involved that literally every story was now being broken by him. If anything, as the show went on I believe Dave Filoni noted that George was able to step back a bit more and not micro-manage so much since he trusted Dave and his team to know what he would want. But he was still very involved, broke all the stories, approved and line-edited scripts, and critiqued and approved episodes at various points throughout the production process.

And yet in ANH Ben does tell Luke that the Force "partially" controls his actions. So clearly there is some will at play there.

darkspine10 and Immortiss like this.
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    We will never know that.

@The_Phantom_Calamari regrading your last point about Obi-Wan and free will: in fact, it could be argued Luke proved the whole concept of destiny and will of the Force wrong in ROTJ when he succeeds in turning his father. Luke really upends things.

16. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    So The Last Jedi is a soulless retread now? I thought it was too different and did too many things out of the ordinary?

I grant you that we will never know what the films would've been like. Perhaps I am jumping to conclusions too quickly and if the films were to come out, I'd have given them a chance. But I also hold to the fact that these ideas are flawed for the many reasons that this forum and others like have been explaining for almost twenty years with midi-chlorians.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  17. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    If anyone is curious, "The Myth Buster" from Legends of Luke Skywalker is a hilarious meta-commentary on SW fandom...

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I think right now, some of you may not want GL originality, but a lot us that were there back in the 70's and early 80's, the late 90's and early 2000's with the original eu would say that we would take GL originality over anything that Disney has come out with. BO success or not. I'd rather have GL's true vision than Disney's.

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I would have one contingency: surround yourself with directors and screenwriters to take your ideas and make them the best they can be ala Kershner with TESB.

vong333 likes this.
  20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    We now have 4 Disney movies that are "worse" than AOTC and TPM, so there's that.

KSennia and Oryx-I like this.
  21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    No we don't. R1 was better than AOTC.

22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_phbbbbt] Well someone was bound to say it! :D

Actually, I would have preferred Disney combine R1/TFA and TLJ elements into two films. Conservation of ideas.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    R1 was a very good movie. TPM and AOTC gets a bit of getting use to, but, what I can say is that none of GL's star wars movies with the exception of the Clone War movie (but even that was a success) were as low as Solo. Solo is just rock bottom period.

If Solo can ever go over $200 million I'll jump up and down. Internationally, if it can get to $150 I'll do the same. Solo at $350 million really truly completely sucks. It got beaten by Fifty Shades of Boredom and a surprisingly good Ready Player One movie. Incredibles 2 is going to torch this movie plus anything else that's up for the rest of the year, and the sad part is we got to leave with this until Episode 9 starts to rake the box office.

25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    That's what I have heard. I actually like all of the PT films because they are George's films even with all of their faults. It is interesting to see him telling these stories.

KSennia and Immortiss like this.