main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The dialog needs perfection to make this truly memorable!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jason79, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    In the original trilogy nearly every line and interaction between the characters was often witty, well writted and just a joy to see! It had humor with lines like, "Will somebody get this big walking carpet outta my way?" The trash compactor scene was a hoot too! "One things for sure we're all gonna be alot thinner!"
    The part where 3P0 thinks they're being crushed always makes me chuckle!
    Listen to them R2 they're dying! Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough! It's all my fault!

So yeah anyway you get the picture. If star wars episode VII and the future sequels have dialog this amusing we'll be on the right path! Make a star wars movie that's exciting, well written and fun!
    Because watching star wars is supposed to be all of those things!

TKT and Palpatine77 like this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    OK then.

3. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
  4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Star Wars is not really renowned for great dialogue... although I certianly think it's better than it's often given credit for...

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

joke topic?

6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    just padding my posting stats

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that's cheating!

Darth Punk likes this.
  8. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I guess you guys aren't getting what i meant. :p Sure there's corny dialog in the originals too. Just alot less of it. Think about how boring and dull the dialog from the prequels is. It's all political and sloppy. At least Han never said to Leia, I wish i could wish away my feelings.

9. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I'm already detecting an "in before the lock" vibe going on...

Darkslayer and DarthBreezy like this.
  10. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    maybe we'll just let this one die of natural causes...

11. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    While I agree with the sentiment of the OP.
    [​IMG]

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    You're right that quality humour & good chemistry between characters will be a huge plus for the ST. I think JJ will be all over making sure this is included.

13. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    This topic can also be discussed in the official JJ Abrams thread since the script is his and he'll be directing the actors delivering those lines.

14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    You can type this ****, but you sure as hell can't say it. :p;)

solo77 likes this.
  15. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    Well, keep in mind the original Star Wars film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. Think about the film again. There's plenty of great lines from that film:

"Wonderful girl. Either I'm going to kill her or I'm beginning to like her!"
    "Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?"
    "Boy, you said it Chewie. Where did you dig up that old fossil?"
    "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"
    "I suggest a new strategy, R2: Let the Wookiee win."
    "Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

It's not just individual catchy lines of dialogue though, there's a great back-and-forth between characters, I especially like the back-and-forth between Luke and Han on the Death Star:

Han: "I'm not going anywhere!"
    Luke: "........ she's rich."
    Han: [interested] "Rich?"
    Luke: "Rich, powerful. Listen, if you were to rescue her, the reward would be....."
    Han: "What?"
    Luke: "Well, more wealth than you can imagine!"
    Han: [skeptical] "I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit."

Not to mention the wonderful interactions between Han and Leia. I'm a big fan of George Lucas, but I think he made a mistake in attempting to write all the dialogue himself in the Prequels, when even he himself admitted frequently over the years that was his weak spot in writing. With Lawrence Kasdan back writing, I think the dialogue will be more spirited and closer to the feel of the OT.

D'an, TKT and Ryus like this.
  16. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    A screenplay is far more than just lines of dialogue. While the dialogue was indeed very good, the original film was also fantastically structured and put together at the script level.Dialogue alone wasn't going to get it a nomination.

In my opinion, Star Wars' dialogue has been pretty consistent throughout. From '77 to '05 it has always felt pretty pulply, like something out of an old serial. Sometimes its witty banter, sometimes it is an important philosophic teaching to both the characters and the audience, sometimes its an overdone spilling of emotions by a fireplace, and sometimes it is the Earth-shattering revelation that Vader is Luke's father. It all feels Star Wars to me.

Gallandro likes this.
  17. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    No, Han just said: "I don't trust him either, but he is my friend. Besides, we'll soon be gone." Not exactly snappy prose there. Or, "Did you tell Luke? Is that who you could tell?" That's like Afterschool Special bad dialogue.

Yancy

Ryus likes this.
  18. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Anything's going to better than AOTC dialogue!

TKT and Ryus like this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I hope everyone in the Sequels gets to say: "I can turn him back... to the good side". [face_hypnotized]

And, thanks for another wonderful installment of OT vs PT. 2005 called. It wants its cliches back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.