main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The difference between ARCs and Commandos

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tyrantus, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    Ok, I just finished Hard Contact(great book) and now I'm wondering, between ARCs and Commandos, is there much difference?

ARC Troopers:
    Trained personally by Jango Fett.
    Have more free will.
    Were trained to work alone.
    Could be leaders of a squad if needed.

Republic Commandos:
    Were trained to work in 4-man squads, as teamwork was key to success.
    Trained by various military teachers, like Kaminoans and army veterans.
    Specialized in espionage, hostage taking, assassination, kidnapping, artillery and other special forces.
    Although they were trained to fight as squads, they manage very well on their own as well, as seen by Darman's performance.

The main point I want cleared out is this question: Were Commando's will modified like the ARC's to be more intelligent and to think intelligently? As I was reading Hard Contact, the way the Commandos thought and acted reminded me of the ARCs in Cestus Deception, mainly Jangotat. It just doesn't seem possible that Commandos have no modified will and are just like regular troopers.

2. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    RCs are more independent, but not to the extent of ARCs...

ARCs (according to several sources) have no genetic tampering except growth acceleration. That means they are effectively "pure Jango."

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    You'll want to check out this thread: ARC Thread

4. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    So you both are saying ARCs actually have more independence? I'd think RCs would, owing to the kind of work they do. It seems funny, but hey, so be it then.

5. Ryan_Kaufman

Ryan_Kaufman DHC Author & Former LucasArts Content Supervisor star 3 VIP

Mar 15, 2005
    The answer is fairly simple: The ARC Troopers are unfiltered Jango. So they are more independent, and independent-minded as well.

The commandos are genetically the same as rank and file clone troopers, however... as you read in the book, the commandos have had the benefit of instruction by Mandalorian warriors, so they're a bit more on the ball than their clone brethren.

So, while they have the same docility genes as the clone troopers... their minds have been expanded and challenged, and so they're able to tap into their free will and creative thinking a bit more.

Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.