main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The difference between blue and green screens?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by shadesaw, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadesaw

shadesaw Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    I know that both type of screens are use in special effects. What is the difference?

For example rayan-w.com] click on special effect, then misc. effects. Click and watch movie from AOTC. That use of green screen.

When do you use a blue screen and why?

2. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    One is blue and one is green. No, really. That's it.

If you light your screen and actors correctly you can use either to good results. It seems that for blonde haired blue eyed actors you are better off with the greenscreen. If your actors are wearing one of the colors then pick the other color. Actor in green - choose bluescreen, etc...

Either way, you can pull a good key if you light correctly.

Do a search on the fan films board for blue or green screen and you'll get plenty of threads on this subject.

3. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    That's pretty much the only difference, is in what color your actor is wearing when standing in front of it. You also want to consider what you're filming on.. For film, it really makes no difference at all, they key equally well. For DV, green is better since the green shows up clearer in the luminance channel of the footage (it's a "brighter" color than blue), and can be used to get rid of the otherwise inescapable jagged edges inherent to DV footage.

4. shadesaw

shadesaw Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Thank you everyone.

5. Only-One-Tea-Cozy

Only-One-Tea-Cozy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    I used tellow once when it was all I had, it worked perfectly fine too. :)
    well it wasnt a screen it was a big yellow corner hunk of chipboard. Still worked fine :)

6. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.