main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The difference between lasers and blasters

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by MOSEP, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    What is the difference between a blaster rifle and a laser rifle, for example?

They all use blaster gas (plasma), right?
    And for bigger weapons, like cannons on ships, do they fire another type of bolts?

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I guess laser is the technical term, but many people in the SW universe consider 'blasters' to sound cooler/deadlier.

3. MOSEP

May 22, 2002
    Well, maybe it is so.
    The main reason i`m wondering is the facts in the "Visual dictionary", where some weapons are named "lasers" and others "blasters".

4. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Lasers are devices which use a photonic beam generator to combine coherent energy into packets that can be aimed at a target. Upon striking the target, the packets split the target's molecular structure to varying degrees, based on the strength of the packets emitted. The packets can be generated to lightly stun a target or completely vaporize it.

Blaster is a common name given to any hand-held laser weapon. They come in all shapes and sizes, from small holdout weapons to heavy repeating rifles. They most often employ a small power pack consisting of a ionized cryogenic cells. The power packs generate coherent packets of light, much like a ship-mounted laser. They can be set to various power outputs, from stun to vaporation.

There you have it. Lasers are a generic catagory that is commonly used to refer to ship-mounted weapons and larger weaponry, while Blasters are more of a personal, "hand-held" version of a laser weapon.

Ken Kenobi- And you have a Happy Valentine's Day [face_love] ;)

5. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    My Explanation

The green continious beam coming from the Gunship is a Laser also the Blue beam that takes down the Trade Federation ship and The Death Star Ray are also Lasers.

All the other weapons fire Plasma Bolts some sort of Compressed gas. Even if some of the larger weapons are called Turbo Lasers? They are not lasers.

From my understanding.
    Info taken from the Visual Dictionary
    Though the AOTC VD does say the the laser dish on one vehicle is a crew hatch?

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    There are no lasers at all in any of the Star Wars movies. A laser travels at the speed of light; all of the "laser" beams seen in the films go much, much slower. Therefore, they are not lasers.

7. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Actually, according to the Star Wars Official Site, laser batteries and laser cannons are used in the Star Wars Universe, following the categorization I explained in my above post. ;) :)

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    They're called lasers, but they aren't really lasers.

The brightly colored beams we see in the films are actually plasma.

9. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Exactly, which is, again, pointing to my original post here as to how the weapon charges are classified. ;) :)

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I think we're talking Star Wars Physics again.

11. MOSEP

May 22, 2002
    yes, we propably are.
    1:Blasters fire Plasma.

2:All hand-held weapons are called blasters,
    although rifles and carbines are sometimes called "lasers".

3:Even though they are called "lasers"
    they still fire blaster gas.

Laser=plasma?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.