main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The difference between OT and PT blaster bolts

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by qui-gon-kim, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    [image=http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6514/obiblaster4an.jpg]

[image=http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7885/hanblaster1gt.jpg]

It seems that there is a huge difference in blaster bolts in the OT and PT.

In the OT, the bolts are solid red (or green) and thin.

In the OT, the bolts are much wider, and like lightsabers have a white core with colored light surrounding it.

Why the difference?

2. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    Personally, I think it's just a difference in the technology used to make the blaster bolts.

3. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    you put OT twice.

4. qui-gon-kim

Apr 19, 2001
    What I meant was:

In the PT, the bolts are much wider, and like lightsabers have a white core with colored light surrounding it.

5. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    I'd say the in-universe explanation is that blasters in the OT are improved, compacting the beams and thus delivering more energy/force to a smaller point. Would make for much better armor-piercing weaponry (notice how blaster bolts in the OT go straight through stormtrooper armor).

Out of universe is probably that the FX team tried to make the bolts look a bit cooler for the PT.

6. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    It's clearly a different calibre blaster- so it makes sense the bolts look difference.

What's the point in owning a different type of blaster if they produce exactly the same kind of effect?

Or maybe it's another HUGE plot hole.

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I like the different caliber blaster thought.

8. qui-gon-kim

Apr 19, 2001
    Actually, if you look at stormtrooper blaster bolts, they look exactly the same as Han's pistol (solid red and thin).

9. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Well what is better? A huge laser bolt or a small one? I don't live in the Star Wars Universe, but I think that after 20 years the technology got better. So if that's the case then a small laser bolt appears to be better for some reason. You could argue that they had shorter, condensed laser bolts to conserve energy so that they would have more shots.

10. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    i really liked the laser effects of the ot thought they looked better, also feel that way about the lightsabers. everything looks too synthetic in the PT, i don't neccessarily think its the fault of cg just how it was used

11. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I really like the blue blaster shots, and I think the Lightsabers look A LOT better in the PT. Especially during the Kenobi vs. Vader battle in Ep. III

12. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I agree that the sabers look better in the PT.I had no problem with the OT sabers and blasters either though...Until the dvd version which had some weird effects going on with the sabers.Maybe they will fix that some day...

13. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Well of course they're going to be different. Three movies were made 20 years before the other three. Technology made it easier and better looking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.