main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The difference in the attitude of the jedi - PT compared to OT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthWolvo23, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I think that Luke, in his own way, was just as self-centered as Anakin. Or perhaps self-righteous. He was simply able to overcome this trait when the time came. Don't forget . . . he almost followed his father's footsteps and failed.

2. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Reviving old thread for current reasons. :)

Some more thoughts on the restructuring of training methods. "No more training do you require", Yoda said to Luke in ROTJ, after a comparably small amount of training Luke had received. "He still has much to learn", Obi-Wan said on Anakin after more than ten years of training. My impression is that Luke was just taught the basic, most important stuff and had to walk the greater part of his path alone, while with Anakin they took great care that he was kept on the leash. "Don't do anything without consulting either myself or the council." Yet Luke, albeit not without some difficulties, succeeded in channelling his talents, while Anakin did not. What does that mean? It seems to me that during the OT, the Jedi relied more on the student learning on his own, while during the PT, students were instructed very carefully how to act and what to do. This might in part be due to a lack of opportunity to keep a closer eye on Luke in the OT, but I don't think that this is the only reason. In the Stover novelization, Obi-Wan suggests the children should be raised as Anakin should have been, but Yoda declines and instead suggests that they should be raised as normal children and be introduced to the Jedi teachings only later, when the time is right for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.