main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The different voices of Sidious

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Cryogenic, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Well, I couldn't resist: I downloaded the Episode III DVD commentary (can't wait to buy this thing!) and noticed something: in the flecks of film audio I heard, it seems like a conscious choice was made either by Lucas or McDiarmid to give Sidious three voices. The first voice is the fatherly voice of Palpatine, the second is the lowered voice of Sidious in holographic form and the third is the voice of Sidious post-transformation. Sidious really wasn't Sidious until he finally "broke out" after facing and killing Mace. Then, all of a sudden, he's nothing but Sidious. The character really has transformed at this point; he's locked in this guise forever more. If you notice what McDiarmid does with his hands at this point, it's to always have them fairly close together at waist height. This really does suggest an ancient and withered evil; someone who is now "frozen" in this position and cannot go back. I shudder to think how inferior a film Revenge of the Sith would have been if Lucas had had Sidious being able to switch back and forth between himself and Palpatine.

Y'know, I used to think the holographic recordings were mildly ridiculous. The way that McDiarmid simply lowered his voice and dragged out certain syllables seemed silly; but now it accentuates the magnitude of his change in ROTS when it finally happens. Before zapping himself with lightning, Sidious wasn't really free; he was repressed in the bowels of this creation called Palpatine, and whenever Palpatine drew on his real self, he could only draw on it so far. But the transformation permanently changes everything. And the scene itself - which is also when Anakin makes his pledge - becomes significantly darker and creepier as a result. It's amazing how a decision to stick with the Sidious makeup and finally employ the Sidious voice of ROTJ gives the film a sense of dread and a distinct feeling that something horrific has just taken place. Again, one has to admire McDiarmid's vocal choices as the real Sidious; that familiar voice from ROTJ has a venomous quality to it, as if he is literally spitting at you with every other word (the way McDiarmid says "Dark SIIIIDE" is a particular joy). This guy is brilliant at what he does. It's funny how detractors say that the film takes a nosedive when the cackling emperor of ROTJ enters; to me, this is when it shifts up a gear and the Faustian tragedy begins.

So I guess you could say this thread is to sing the praises of Lucas and McDiarmid combined. But the voice issue really intrigued me. The contrast between the three is now very striking. I can't believe how dark this film is!

2. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    one things for sure, McDiarmid will be by far the best supporting actor in any movie this year. whether he gets the nod or not will reflect oscar more than himself.

my favorite voice, when sidious first starts to emerge. "noo . . . nooo . . . you will die!"
    nailed all that monster movie feel. amazing psychological effect, it's completely burned into my brain.

also, the storyteller opera scene. they should submit that clip, no advertising in the trade papers needed, that's an oscar right there.

3. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    Ian was definately the unexpected break-out star of ROTS. His roles were so limited in the other 4 movies(counting the new ESB), but he was a major character this time around.

After watching him in ROTS, I really wish we got to see more of him in AOTC(in Darth Sidious form). Though I still like how he only showed up at the end. It made him even more of a phantom..................a phantom menace, perhaps. [face_beatup]

4. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

Yeah he really did transform with the Windu scene. He became really all powerful, with all real Jedi resistance on Coruscant wiped out and with the help of his new apprentice (who also is the chosen one)

I loooooooove the darkside growl he lets out, utterly terrifying.

5. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    *minor spoiler here*

The commentary reveals that...

...Ian McDiarmid had laryngitis during the opera scene! According to Lucas, the dialogue between Palpatine and Anakin was perfectly fine and audible (no ADR work needed) so he decided to keep it! He thought that McDiarmid's ravished voice added an interesting tonal quality to the scene. It's amazing how illness played a part in this film! (The other example being Lucas lending his real cough to Grievous).

Anyway, yes... I am in total agreement with the "No, no, no!" moment. It's high camp and intense drama rolled into one. Again, detractors feel that it's the lowest part of the film but I think it's terrific. It's the real Sidious breaking through and exacting his revenge on Mace. The lightning sound effect is particularly effective as the blast begins. Kudos to McDiarmid and the sound team.

6. OutcastSith

OutcastSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2005
    Does Ian actually create those abnormal voices? I must say he's pretty talented. I also try to do the same.

7. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    Actually 85 percent of dialogue is re-dubbed later according to Ben Burtt.

8. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    palpatine sure does seem happy to become sidious, even if it was painful. i love how his voice is all echoey in his office for a while. i say, if there's an ultimate collection of all 6 movies, all the emperor scenes should give his voice a little bit of reverb.

9. OutcastSith

OutcastSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2005
    That's interesting. Thank you for that information. The voices Palpatine makes are pretty awesome. He made probably like 3 different sounding voices.

10. jedi_jacks

Jul 17, 2005
    ANAKIN: The Jedi are selfless . . . they only care about others.
    ANAKIN is deep in thought.
    PALPATINE: (*squeak*) Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis "the wise"?

i loved that little squeak in his voice there. talking about selflessness to palpatine was like showing the cross to the devil, palpatine just reacted to it. he had to go in a new direction after that comment. at least thats how i saw it, funny he had a cold.

11. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    one thing u should know

in TPM

Palpatine had the "fatherly voice"
    Sidious in hologram et al. had the "emperor's voice from ROTJ"

in AOTC

Sidious in hologram et al.had the "emperor's voice from ROTJ"
    in ROTS

Sidious in hologram et al.had the "palaptine draggy voice"
    post-lightning Sidious had the "emperor's voice from ROTJ"

the problem is that back in TPM and AOTC lucas wasnt sure how to reveal sidious, and i can assure that in TPM and AOTC palpatine when talking as as sidious had the ROTJ's voice!! no mistake about it

only after ROTS was conceived and the idea of lightning damaging vocal chord cameout that, lucas had the hologram scene with Grevious talking to Sidious; he made Sidious's voice "dragyy" and not with the "palaptine draggy voice"

12. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    So what?

What's the 'Palpatine draggy voice', anyway?

Maybe he was so full of anticipation for his "new apprentice" that his voice dragged a little?

You have to admit it was cool, regardless.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    On "Good Morning America" last May, Ian talked about creating his Sith voice. He said that when he first came up with it, it was very demanding to use it throughout the film. But he was then able to come up with an alternitive that required him to draw deep inside of himself, without hurting himself in the process. Thereby giving him a rich baritone (sp) that was on par with Clive Revell (sp), who was going to ADR over Ian during the post production phase of ROTJ. However, Lucas was convinced that Ian's voice was more than suitable and let it.

McDiarmid's classical training in theatre has paid off in making the Dark Lord's voice(s) distinctive.

14. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Actually, he temporarily shifted between Palps and (pre-transformation) Sids even before.
    What I found extremely well done was the part in the revelation scene:

Palpatine: "Use my knowledge, I beg you!"
    Anakin: "You're the Sith lord!"
    Palpatine suddenly shifting to Sidious voice: "I know what's been troubling you, listen to me!"

Brilliantly done.

15. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    yeah that wicked evil undertone works great. Fantastic voice for a bad guy, it just reeks of evil.

I wasn't too keen on the alteration of his voice after mace reflected the lightning on Palps. His voice didn't return until he put his hood up when talking to Anakin.

16. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    :rolleyes: Double post. Sorry!

17. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks for pointing this out. I guess it's very hard to discern much difference - but only once Sidious has transformed do we get that hissing quality; it's like he's jabbing at you as he speaks. Contrast the way Sidious talks once his face has altered with how he talks to, say, Maul on the balcony in TPM. Although you wouldn't expect him to be cackling wildly in Episode I, he doesn't put any special emphasis on any of the words when he says, "You have been well trained, my young apprentice". But if the Sidious of the second half of ROTS had been talking to him at that moment, I can imagine McDiarmid introducing that sneer he does and putting a little more emphasis on certain syllables. There is a difference in the deliveries. The real Sidious is more sneery, more furious, more snake-like, more intense.

I think the first example of this sudden eruption was during the opera when he issues the command, "Leave us!", to his entourage. Very chilling. I also loved his stand-off with Anakin where Anakin points his sabre, confesses he'd like to kill him and Sidious responds, "I know you would! I can feel your anger. It gives you FO-CCUS!" I was startled on my first viewing in the cinema, and on my second, I was smiling to myself when that bit came up.

18. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    The reason why I liked this sudden change in the revelation scene so much is that the voice change actually is a confirmation of Anakin's statement "you're the Sith lord!" - the voice change basically works as a substitute, it is the unuttered answer "yes".

19. sithjoe

sithjoe Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2002
    "I AM the senate"

My favourite voice change in the whole saga.
    Right there, right then, you just KNOW there's evil in the room.
    When I saw the movie, opening day, the hairs literally stood on the back of my neck when he said that. Quite brilliant.

20. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005

i agree.its the first time we see palps snap on sceen(ROTJ aside of course).

and,no,no,no YOU will die !!!.i love it because he forgets that he is putting up a show for anakin and allows his sith side to get the best of him.

21. Starwars_1977-1983

Starwars_1977-1983 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2004
    When he commands Anakin to kill Dooku "do it !" he is in Sidious mode.

The pre-transformation sidious voice is slightly different from the post-transformation Sidious voice.

The point where the two different sidious voices match is the first time we see him on the TF cruiser bridge in TPM : "the chancellor should never have brought the jedi into this. Kill them immediately!".
    Even his mouth and chin are very close to that of the emperor in that scene.

But it's still slightly different.

The voice changes are what make me think that what we see in ROTS is Sidious transforming into his true self rather than just damaged.

I would never have expected Lucas to give Sidious such an evil and surnatural dimension. As if the dark side itself, or the ancient dark lords spoke through him. He's Dracula, Satan, Sauron and Nixon all rolled into one creepy character !

He is my master now. The Emperor will show you the true nature of vilainy.

22. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    ha ha! Nixon. [face_laugh]

But seriously, that is an AWESOME idea- that all his evil facets (or the facets of OTHER past Sith) speak through him at once. Sooo cool. Good idea, dude.

23. jedi_jacks

Jul 17, 2005
    Starwars_1977-1983
    I would never have expected Lucas to give Sidious such an evil and surnatural dimension. As if the dark side itself, or the ancient dark lords spoke through him. He's Dracula, Satan, Sauron and Nixon all rolled into one creepy character !

He is my master now. The Emperor will show you the true nature of vilainy.

lol!

24. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    You could tell during that scene how excited he was that he knew he no longer had to hide behind the Palpatine veil. In his mind he was free.

25. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i agree and thats why all the faces.he is not just making stupid faces,he is finally enjoying the fact that after decades he doesnt have to pretend that he is a good guy anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.