main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Digital Theater weekend debate

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by TheWampas1138, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkyJammer

SkyJammer Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Oh, yes, I always take Willow Rd. to 53 when I go to Schaumburg. Much easier than dealing with Golf Rd. traffic. And every time I drive it, "Palantine" always morphs into "Palpatine" for some odd reason..... :)

In other news, I will not be carpooling with anyone there; I am meeting up with my friend at the digital showing (and another friend is coming along, too). Don't worry, BYOB, I just bought tickets off Fandango myself for these two extra people, so they're all taken care of. I will probably meet you guys at the park and ride on Ryan still, but after the movie, I think my friends and I will be doing our own thing.....

-SJ

2. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Whoops, did I miss something? We are for sure meeting at the Park-n-Ride at Ryan Road? (It's been a looooonnng morning so far.) ;)

3. volkswagon_jedi

volkswagon_jedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2002
    Re: Milwaukee Carpool for the 12:45 screening of ATOC in Chicago this Saturday, June 15, 2002.

I just emailed BYOB Kenobi and we agreed to meet at 9:45 at the HWY 94 and Ryan Road Park and Ride. There we will get our plan of attack (no clones yet) and leave no later than 10:00 a.m. There we can distribute people for car pools if need be. So come with your tanks filled with gas!

Again meet at 9:45 A.M. at the Ryan Road Park and Ride.

4. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Once again, the movie is showing at 12:30, not 12:45.

5. Zepo

Zepo Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    Have fun guys. Sorry i can't be there. :(

6. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    Sorry you can't join us, Zeppo. Maybe you'll make it to the meeting/party on the 29th?

7. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Have a great time everybody! Sorry I can't make it, but I'll see ya on the 29th. :)

8. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    [valleygirl_voice]Okay, so like oh my gawd! You guys yesterday were like so kewl and I like totally had such a marvy time at the movie and stuff. It was like really gnarly. Normally I'm like so Poindexter around people, but like okay, I felt so like not out of place that it was totally tubular! I like for sure can't wait to like meet you all again at like the party at Jedisisters! Toodles!![/valleygirl_voice]

[radioannouncer_voice]Let's give a big shout out to the Milwookie Council. Yeah!![/radioannouncer_voice]

9. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    Hello to everyone who came to Schaumburg
    for the movie! It was great meeting you
    there & hanging around the BBQ together.

Let us know if you're coming to Great
    America & we'll make a party of it.

Mary of Chicago Force

10. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    So what did you think of DLP? Did you meet up with the Chicago or Minnesota FF? Did you go to the BBQ?

Those of us who went last week would like to compare notes with you!

11. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    Let's see...synopsis:

DLP was awesome. I'll never enjoy celluloid again.

Met up with Chicago and Minnesota at the theater and were given directions to the BBQ (though I don't think anyone from MN went due to the length of drive home).

Stopped at Gameworks quickly and looked around before going to the BBQ...impressive.

BBQ was quite nice, hosted by JodoKast74. His dog was a riot (Just ask BYOB_Kenobi ;)).

Afterwards, around 6:30pm, jedihexer suggested Big Bowl for dinner so 8 of us Milwookies went out for Chineese...I don't think the restaurant will ever be the same after us. :)

All in all, a very good time was had!!

PS. Sy, thanks for riding with me. It was a blast.

12. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    "I'll never enjoy celluloid again."

That seems a bit extreme. Sure, the picture was sharper, the colors were brighter, but that didn't make it a better movie. If you saw Battlefield Earth on a DLP screen it would still be a craplousy movie. Likewise, if you saw O Brother, Where Art Thou? on celluloid it would still be a dag-burned hootnanny of a movin' picture show. Besides, DLP has its quirks just like celluloid. The only difference is the quirks are the same every time you see it.

13. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    No, I didn't say that the movie was any better because of DLP, I'm saying that the quality of DLP is far superior to celluloid. A bad movie would still be a bad movie...it would just be a much sharper, colorful bad movie. :) There is a difference.

14. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Yeah... That's what I said. ;)

DLP still isn't perfect though. I'd like to see the resolution bumped up a tad so you can't see pixellation on the edges of the text. Apart from that, the only thing in the movie I saw that was pixellated was Tatooine's second and third, smaller moons.

15. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    See, I'm not into computer gaming, and my computer at home (oh the horror!) is still a Celeron 266 (I think). So for me, that was the best thing I've ever seen. I'm a little technology deprived. *whimper*

16. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    sooo much better on the DLP! :)

It was nice to meet you all at the movie...sorry I couldn't go to the BBQ and get to know Milwookiee better.

17. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Finally I have to opportunity to chime in with my two cents.

I was very impressed by the digital picture and sound. There were shortcomings as BYOB_Kenobi mentioned (the pixels kinda bothered me too), but it was still better than celluloid.

The last scene in the digital version was indeed more haunting than the non-digital version. I'm curious, did Lucas not show the prostetic hand hold in the non-digital version so people would have to see the flick in a digital theater for that "extra"? From a basic story telling point of view, that was a very poignant moment and should not have been omitted for any reason. I have had my quams about Lucas since the Special Editions were released, but now I'm becoming more disturbed. Fascism isn't always a good thing.

As for the socializing portion of the experience, I had a splendid time. Thank you Idaara for the ride. I always enjoy good conversation. Thank you Judo_Kast for your hospitality. I thought it was interesting how (I assume) unintentionally the two groups segregated and basically talked amongst themselves. And although Lars Ulrich left much to be desired as a waiter, the post bar-b-cue meal was very nice. Even if the ride there wasn't. (Eric!)

All in all a wonderful time had by me. I am eagerly anticipating the marathon viewing. By the way, are we going to be allowed to talk during the films? Maybe a la MST3K? Sometimes I can't help myself. Just a warning.

Catie

18. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
  19. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    "Fascism isn't always a good thing."

Is it ever? ?[face_plain]

"That addition is by far the most noticeable change, but we actually made over 70 enhancements for D-cinema. Most involved sharpening, tweaking wipes and color adjustments. However, there are a handful that are definite visual effects changes. I'd be curious to hear if any fans have found any of the other changes."

That's right, Rick. Don't list off the differences 'cause you don't know crap ...stupid marketing weasel. :mad:

20. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    Now, now, Kenobi, I think Catie meant fanaticism. It was probably just a minor case of malapropism. :)

Edit: You know, though, with Lucas, fascism/fanaticism isn't it the same thing?

is going to keep her dictionary close by from here on out 8-}

21. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    No, she meant fascism.

Y'know, watching the "D-Cinema" version (man, I feel all Hollywood using a term like that), I thought they probably changed a lot up. The greener Acklay, the green refugee ship, the really red sunset... Y'know, Lucas is actually trying to push D-Cinema using trickery and skullduggery and I'm actually kinda pissed now.

Jeff

22. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    -- "Fascism isn't always a good thing." --

-- "Is it ever?" --

It depends on what side you're on.

And yes, I did mean fascism.

23. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    [image=http://www.injektilo-ftp.com/images/Banned.jpg]

24. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I'm not really that concerned with hand holding versus none. I guess maybe because it's not what I consider to be the exciting part of the story. I know that they go way beyond hand holding, and that appeared to be a wedding, so I don't think the digital aspect really adds much in that regard. I'm all for digital screenings, I think it shows off color and sound better. Plus it doesn't suffer from the 100th viewing looking worse than the first. However, I am against how much Rick McCallum's almost obscene amount of marketing it to us at C2. I don't have any doubt that there's a monitary interest in it for him, perhaps he has a lot of stock in digital projection companies. For crying out loud, before George Lucas came along and found him, he was doing two-bit films. Now, he's center stage and making money. It's gone to his big mushroom head. I wasn't attending Digital Projector Celebration, I was at the Star Wars Celebration. Personally, and being one for a strong belief in fairness (though I ended up the Emperor anyway) I think that other than their presentation, both traditional film and digital versions should be identical, shot by shot. A lot of people don't have access to digital screenings, as we're all aware given our necessity to caravan to a theater with it. And we all know how loyal Star Wars fans can be. How many fans have multiple versions of the films? We're not talking about the difference between half circle on the hand Boba Fett action figure versus full circle, we're talking about something that some people (not really me) would include a big difference in the final scene. You shouldn't do that to people just to sell something completely unrelated to the film to them. Rick, if you want people to go to digital theaters, spend your money advertising it, don't try to force me to spend mine. If you expect solidarity from me, next time don't sell tickets to your film when people are at your convention.

Dwayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.