main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the release of Frozen, my love for Disney has skyrocketed once again and made me put in perspective what Disney has done for nearly everybody in the world.

The longevity of Disney, from the release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves in 1937, to the release of Frozen in 2013, and all other Disney movies in the future ensures that everybody in their lifetime has at least watched one Disney movie. We may joke, snark or be serious in our rants at how Disney is a giant corporate and soulless monster that devours its competition or assimilates it, but we cannot deny that we as children have been touched by their movies. For some of us, Disney is part of our childhood as much as any 80's/90's/2000's television show, book or video game.

As children we find simple joy in these movies, but as we grow older we begin to see in perspective just what made some of these movies brilliant in the first place. Whether it be writing, animation, characters, music, themes, or story, at least one of these elements plays a part in that one Disney movie or movies we all hold dear to us.

Now, strictly speaking I'm mostly talking about the movies of the Disney Animated Canon; the Big 53 as I like to call them, but for other people they may find other aspects just as enjoyable; the live action Disney movies, the Pixar movies, even the DisneyToon movies/Sequels. Though I'm more well-versed in the Big 53, I am sure the other branches are just as loved and enjoyed by others.

So this thread can be for anything relating to Disney movies, our own favorites, why we like them, our personal Disney history etc. So with that out of the way, I'll start with what I have been saying in the general movie thread:

Frozen is awesome go see it with as many people as you can whether they be your siblings parents grandparents friends or significant other I swear it's one of the best Disney movies ever made worthy to stand next to Little Mermaid-Lion King and best of the Revival Era so far trust me you will get your money's worth.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Frozen is one of few non-Star-Wars movies I've considered seeing in the theater twice. It's that good, the best film of 2013 IMO, and this has been a decent year for movies.

My favorites as a kid were The Fox and the Hound and Lady and the Tramp. I dunno, I guess I liked dog stories? j/k It was the unorthodox friendship and the forbidden romance aspect that I found appealing.

Little Mermaid came out when I was in high school and thought I was too cool for Disney movies so I didn't see it in the theater, but my best friend got it on VHS; I got a phone call saying I had to come to his house right away because I had to see this movie. "These frogs are sitting on this paddle singing; they go under water and come back up and they're still singing." We both laughed at that one for awhile.

That era is probably my favorite as far as stories and music: The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King. I remember a lot of complaints about Pocahontas because she was supposed to be a 12-year-old girl and wasn't supposed to look like Native American Barbie but meh, the animation and music were still spectacular. The Lion King stands out to me as the one my brother called "Hamlet with animals and a happy ending". It also has IMO the best Disney love song with "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?", the best along with Little Mermaid's "Part of Your World".

Little Mermaid's soundtrack is funny in its own way and I dunno, the most singable? "Kiss the Girl" with the paddling frogs, "Le Poisson" which I used to sing to my cats as I fed them, "Poor Unfortunate Souls", "Under the Sea"...definitely one of the better soundtracks.

I love what Disney has done with 3D animation in the modern era. Tangled and Frozen, in addition to being great stories, look spectacular, enough that I own Tangled in HD instant video and I'll buy Frozen either that way or on Blu-Ray. And again, soundtracks...Disney has outdone itself. Wreck-It Ralph...I like the concept and the old-school video game references but it was a disappointment compared to the others.

Darth Xalfrea likes this.
  3. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I enjoy the Canon, Pixar, and some of the live action films.

Lion King is probably my favorite DAC, though the Pumbaa flatuence scenes are just a bit over the top. The first six fairytale DACs are very, very good. And, surprisingly, I've developed a geniune liking for Hunchback of Notre Dame. Disney really took a risk with that one, with the "****fire" song and Esmeralda dancing in Frollo's imagination scene, but it all works well. I probably wouldn't let anyone younger than 10 (at least) watch it though, because awkward questions might be raised that may be best left for later, but that's just my opinion.

I loathe the DTV sequels. I used to have a few on VHS and I've watched others, but over the years I've come to realize just how bad most of them are. The only one I have on DVD now is Pocahontas II, and that only because Disney couldn't be bothered to sell the original and sequel separately when they issued the new DVDs last year. *frown*

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I watch the old movies still, but I haven't liked an actual disney movie since eh, treasure planet? I enjoyed princess and the frog a lot, but I wouldn't say it was a great movie. I'm not going to count the Pixar movies as disney because that's like counting the marvel movies as them too....it's just a company owned. Not the same studios.

I'm not going to see Frozen in theaters though also because, well, Tangled was a pretty piece of crap with some sprinkles on top. The story was fine, the humor was dull, the art was bland (look at those overly blank landscapes in the background compared to the detail of a Pixar film), the main character really annoying. Overall enjoyable, but not a great film. Frozen just looks like it's catering to the same crowd but with added juvenile humor. I know that's speaking too soon since I haven't actually seen it, but I don't feel like dropping $20 on a ticket to see something that could be just as bad as Tangled (which everyone also raves about).

Bacon164 likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut is my favorite Disney film.

"Shut your ****ing face Uncle ****er!"

6. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Those were my favorites too. I guess I just liked animals better then people. :p
    My (other) favorites now are Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, and Tangled. Not counting Pixar, because that's a whole separate category for me. ;)
    I'm hoping to see Frozen next week. If it's as good as everyone says it is, my favorites list will soon have a new member.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Disney certainly have produced many great animated classics in their time.
    Many of the true greats are from Walt's lifetime and some decline followed his death, but the Second Golden Age of the late 1980s until the rise of Pixar restored the studio to the glory it had not seen since those years.

They don't hand animate anymore or do musicals, but they can still produce some good stories even without help from Pixar.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Lion King IMO is the greatest Disney Animated ever made

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I definitely loved the Renaissance-era films as a kid. Even extending beyond that, with Atlantis and Treasure Planet being two favorites of mine. But Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Mulan, Hercules- all greatly enjoyable. And of course some of the classics, like Pinocchio, Cinderalla, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, The Sword in the Stone, and Snow White.

I'd count myself as a fan of the Revival-era films. Princess and the Frog was definitely a great film, and though it may not be a great film itself, Tangled is at least beautifully animated. I did enjoy it pretty well, though. I liked everything about Wreck-It Ralph, too.

Live action has been more of a mixed bag, sliding both ways on the hit-or-miss scale. Besides Mary Poppins and Tron I haven't really seen any LA Disney films that came out pre-1990. Pirates 1 is a more recent example of an actually good live action Disney movie.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I loved Meet the Robinsons!

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Can I mention how atrocious Home on the Range is? It's like they weren't even trying at that point.

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

I used to think it was one of those Nickelodeon films because of how bad it looked. I didn't realize it was Disney until fairly recently.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I've gotten back into watching Disney movies since having kids (who are now 4 and 7). The amazing thing about most (not all, but most) of their movies is how much they put into the story. Many animated or "kids" movies made by other companies seem to treat the story as an afterthought and think kids can be won over with bright colors, fast action, and dumb jokes. Disney knows kids are generally deeper than that, and they almost always give something storywise that is much deeper and more heartfelt (and which can appeal to all ages, too). This is definitely true if you're including the Pixar movies as well.

And I agree with those above who said that Frozen was great.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I am glad that we no longer have to put up with those horrid Direct-to-Video sequels of beloved classics.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Was Lion King 2 DTV? If so, that was the exception. It was by no means as good as 1, but I still liked it a lot. But yeah, the other DTV films are a special kind of bad.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I kinda liked Lion King 2. And Beauty and the Beast Enchanted Christmas. Didn't bother with any of the others though, the concepts alone looked bad.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think I like Disney stuff more now than when I was a kid. I think I liked them a little, I always liked the songs, but I found all the cheesy/romantic/mushy Aesop stuff really, really annoying. I guess I was just too cool for Disney at the time. Or rather, having to watch at least one Disney movie a day while I babysat my little sister got on my 7-10 year old nerves.

I think it was Tangled that got me to give these kinds of movies a chance again, but I still don't see this **** in theaters, though.

I've seen pretty much all of the animated Disney movies, at least all that came out pre-2000, there's plenty that came out post-2000 that I haven't seen and probably never will.

I guess Beauty and the Beast is my favorite. I think it's the sweetest, has the best Princess and great songs.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have still not seen The Lion King.

Do modern Disney flicks still like to make you cry like Old Yeller and Bambi and The Fox And The Hound?

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Lion King was the last one that made me cry. So...no.

21. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Simba's Pride and Enchanted Christmas were actually fairly good. So was Aladdin and the King of Thieves. The other DTVs were pure junk. Cinderella II ... oh, Lord! That one was baaaad. So was Milo's Return, even though the original Atlantis is one of my favorites.

In live action I love Mary Poppins, the first 3 Pirates, and both National Treasures. On Stranger Tides ... not so much. I still don't have it on DVD and probably never will. Swiss Family Robinson, both Parent Trap movies, Pollyanna, and Old Yeller are good, but my interest in them has kind of waned over the last few years.

22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, I forgot National Treasure was Disney. The first was good as a popcorn flick, while the second was good as a Nic Cage popcorn flick.

I also enjoyed John Carter quite a bit. Never read the books, but hell if it wasn't both pretty and fun. Even Prince of Persia was decent. Certainly among the best video game movies ever (though admittedly that's not saying much :p). Actually, Pirates at least takes inspiration from Monkey Island, so it may as well also be considered a video game movie. Better than being considered a theme park ride movie, IMO.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Aladdin and the King of Thieves is the only ONLY exception to the DTV rule mainly because they got Robin Williams to come back.

PCCViking likes this.
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Isn't Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory a Disney movie? That's a fun movie.

The Muppets Treasure Island & Christmas Carol are also very enjoyable.

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Brother Bear and Wreck-It-Ralph are another couple of my favorites. Also, with Frozen, it was interesting to see a Disney movie's take on the standard Disney movie trope of the whirlwind romance.