main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And it is itself just another adaptation of one of Shakespeare's plays
    Fixed it for you.
    And many of them had. Also if we are talking about originality why dose it mater if they have/have not been adapted into a cinematic medium previously if they are not original stories?

2. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It's ultimately not my place to tell people whether they should ancitipate or enjoy these remakes. I just think that Disney, a studio that was once the king of brilliant and imaginative cinematic storytelling, has gotten lazy by relying on name brand properties to provoke Pavlovian reactions from audiences. It encourages complacency over discovery.

3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    You do realize that it's a cardinal sin to change an author's words without their permission? :)))

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oh, dear that most be something that they added in the book of sins of lately since adapting and changing stuff without the author permission have been done for quite some time :p

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    FTFY

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Is that a legit pic?

Why does Emma look disgusted or otherwise not enthusiastic, and why does the Beast look all sad?

I hope they don't go full deconstruction, don't go full forced hostage situation.

Yes, yes, it's just one pic.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So I saw Pete's Dragon about a month ago, and I loved it so damn much. It has probably the saddest opening to a Disney film since Up. It also reminded me of Fly Away Home for some reason.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    In the Disney canon, this is a lady who looks down on the baker for having to work for a living. I imagine she spends a lot of her day looking disgusted.

Barriss_Coffee and tom like this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You don't Have to be an awful person, you choose to.

11. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I hope it's just the one picture and not final. I doubt they're going to change the story all that much from the animated version.

But as for Gaston, he shouldn't go away empty handed. After all, he should win the... No Belle Prize. :p

12. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005

might turn out to be legit, but wasn't officially released.

i don't think they'd unveil this guy before a full trailer, at least.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think they'd unveil a pic where they are both so thoroughly unhappy to be dancing.

No, it's a lady who finds provincial life boring, and it is the baker who blows off her attempt to tell him about the story she just read.

She doesn't look down on him at all. He says good morning, and she says good morning back. She refers to him as "monsieur", which is like calling someone sir, no? He asks where she's off to, and she says the book shop, and tries to tell him about the story she read...and he blows her off.

14. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Holy crap I hope that is just early stages CG. Looks awful.

15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Why should he stop to listen? If he doesn't sell enough loaves of bread, his family will go hungry. Sorry that unlike her, he doesn't have all afternoon to idle around with frivolous hobbies. Apologies to you that his family in medieval provinicial France wasn't rich enough to hire a tutor that might have taught him to read. My deepest regrets that struggling to survive in an era of atrocious public health when commoners were basically at the mercy of the wealthy, he was more concerned with staying alive than bringing more variety to his daily activities. Belle is definitely right, though. What a loser, huh?

Make France great again. Trump/Belle 2016

16. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011

He doesn't have to listen to her. He doesn't have to apologize, either, since no offense was taken or pointed out. He doesn't have to be able to read, she was telling him the story, not asking him to read the book. At no point does she criticize him, either.

There goes the baker with his tray, like always
    The same old bread and rolls to sell
    Every morning just the same
    since the morning that we came
    to this poor provincial town

There's no criticism or looking down upon, just boredom. She doesn't look down on him at all, but if one person is being disrespectful, it's him. I don't think he is, but he's the only one doing anything that could be called discourteous.

What's more, immediately after her encounter with the baker, the whole town starts gossiping about how weird Belle is for reading. Do you really want to defend this sort of anti-intellectualism? Do you want to support the sexist suspicion of women who read? Or suspicion of intellectuals in general?

The sexist, anti-intellectual townsfolk, suspicious of women who read and the educated elite, are the Trump supporters here. If she's not careful, she might be burned as a witch.

Really, it is the town that looks down upon her, for not fitting in, for not having friends.

Look them call her funny, strange, and getting on her for not being part of the crowd. Are these the people you want to support, wocky, a mob that gets on a young girl for being different? The same mob that throws her father in jail?

Peculiar, eh? You wonder if she's feeling well? Are they questioning her sanity, the way they questioned her father's sanity, calling him "crazy old Maurice"?

They're one step away from gaslighting her.

More criticism for being different juxtaposed with uncalled for comments on her appearance.

More comments on her appearance.

Really, wocky, I didn't think you'd defend such objectification.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought there was some facetiousness going on with the Trump/Belle 2016?

Maybe not.

18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    If there's a Trump running mate in Beauty and the Beast, it's Gaston.

Choosing the woman he wants to marry based solely who is the most beautiful. Thinks he's entitled to the best, most beautiful woman. He says it's not right for a woman to read! Sexist and anti-intellectual.

Later, he questions how Belle can read a book with no pictures! More anti-intellectualism.

Lefou refers to thinking as a "dangerous past time", and Gaston agrees! More anti-intellectualism.

Gaston is all about the "best"...and what he thinks is the best is based on superficiality...just like Trump!

Gaston reduces women to beauty contestants....just like Trump!

More like,

Make Women Uneducated Chattel Again. Trump/Gaston 2016

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I will be preparing a response (in brief: You have to keep in mind that education/literary interest is largely a marker of wealth/class distinction at the time in question.). But wow. I never expected such a deeply read response to my take on this film. Never have I been so pleased to be on the receiving end of a counter-punch. Bravo.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, this is the fully formed Jabba, I'm afraid to say.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think that depends upon the country, if I remember right (and I could be wrong) so was at least some countries in Europe rather big on that everybody should be able to read, at least passably, so they could read their bible. And B&B seems to take place in a post-printing press world so the ability to read could be rather widespread now when leaflets and books could be mass produced

22. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Regarding the apprehension some are having about Belle and the Beast's expressions, a couple of things:

1. It could be photoshopped, or not yet finalized. Keep in mind these pictures weren't officially released.
    2. The Disney live-action remakes have either been a little darker or edgier, with the exception of this year's Pete's Dragon, and some of the original movies were somewhat dark to begin with (The Queen of Hearts yelling off with their heads, even if we don't see it; Maleficent transforming into a dragon and creating a forest of thorns around the castle). As for Beauty and the Beast, in the original animated movie, Belle and the Beast's attitudes toward each other don't start to change until after he rescues her from the wolves and she thanks him. There might be a more gradual change in the upcoming movie than we saw in the original, to be more "realistic."

Just my guess. I wouldn't be surprised if the Beauty and the Beast dance picture is replaced later on.

23. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Belle require a lot more acting skill than Cinderella because there were fewer characters and the conflict was more focused on her, it requires herself to resolve the conflict, it also require great chemistry between her and the Beast.

I think Emma Watson needs to do much more than she did in HP series and her looks might be a bit too sharp, but let's see what will happen.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah, she is too ugly to be Belle.

25. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    It's been awhile since I've seen the original movie (it's not exactly my favorite, although I do agree it's a well-made movie), but based on my memories of it and the leaked materials, Emma Watson looks a lot like the original Belle (IMHO). I've never seen a movie she's in, so I can't say what her acting abilities are, but she seems like a good choice.