main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    A couple of months ago, there was a tropical storm named Gaston. Like its Disney's namesake, it was full of hot air. :p

Valency Jane and Gamiel like this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    What? There was a BatB TV show with Ron Perlman as Beast Vincent? And his makeup effects were done by Rick Baker!? Why am I just hearing about this now? This I have to see.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    How have you not heard of this! Jonathan Frakes has a story about how he was friends with Ron, and they both auditioned to play Riker. When Frakes got it, he was a little nervous to tell his friend, but luckily Ron got the Vincent roll around the same time.

Edit: my memory was a wee bit off!

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ron_Perlman

Valency Jane likes this.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Interesting, I didn;t know that, Ron Perlman would have made an awesome Worf though.

5. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Perlman also played the Reman viceroy in Star Trek Nemesis. His final fight scene in that movie was with Riker, ironically enough.

Valency Jane likes this.
  6. Eeyore freak

Eeyore freak Jedi Knight star 2

May 19, 2016

PCCViking likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Nobody as sleepy as Gaston

[​IMG]

Debo likes this.
  8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I've just watched Fantasia 2000 for the first time in years. It was certainly a very bold film, and felt like the sort of film that you would never get from Disney today, and even feels out of place for 1999, wedged between Tarzan and the Emperor's New Groove.

It feels very much like the kind of films it's emulating, Fantasia itself of course, and the similar package films of the 40's, when Disney's output was restricted to compilations of shorts.

The intro segments were very odd. I only recognised 2 of the hosts, James Earl Jones (obviously), who they put on the shortest piece for some reason, and Penn and Teller, who do an impromptu magic sketch. It feels like the intros were just there to show off a bunch of late 90's celebrities.

The best section to me was The Firebird, very impressive animation. The least memorable was probably the Tin Soldier section. Just felt kind of generic. The animation on the New York sequence felt very atypical of Disney in the 90's, though does remind me of the older style of shorts.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice section holds up very well alongside the modern sections, though the aspect ratio change was a bit jarring. The Donald Duck/Noah's ark was a nice successor to that.

The CG work on the Whale section felt a little off, though the visuals of flying, diving whales were impressive.

Overall, it's a bit of an unusual experience, but certainly a unique one, and I'm glad I decided to give it a go.

(The cancelled Musicana looks like it may have been a more interesting project. The variety of musical styles would've been better than the strict focus on classical, which does kind of feel a bit overused by the end of the film.)

Ghost and Gamiel like this.
  9. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

As a fan of the original Fantasia, I like the 2000 sequel too. Agree though that the host segments didn't work that well. I think the main reason is that the original movie's intros gave insight into the piece and animation, while most of the sequel's intros were for the sake of humor. The pieces themselves have aged really well.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  11. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    My observations

1. Ewan's French accent sounds a lot better, more natural than in the teaser trailer.
    2. It looks like they're integrating part of the original tale into the movie, regarding how Belle's father becomes a prisoner.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The servants look terrible. I appreciate what they were trying to do, like the ceramic glaze on Ms. Potts (very period) but it doesn't work.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Jello, you've got to pull yourself together!

Gosh it disturbs me to see you Jello,
    Being such a negative man
    Every poster lov'd to be you Jello
    Even when taking your bans
    There's no mod on here as intimidating as you
    Your everyone's favorite guy
    Everyone's awed and inspired by you
    And it's not very hard to see why

Take it away!

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It looks so faithful to the original... more faithful than I thought! I've noticed maybe one or two deviations so far, that's it.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I love the musical score of the film, especially the soft piano keys at the start of the trailer.

I think the adaption from animation to live action looks wonderful.

I wasn't sure when this movie was going to drop. I thought it might be next year around this time, but it's only a few months away, in March, which I think it a pretty good spot for this release date.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Beast's face movements look a little weird to me. Hopefully just need a polish-up of CG.

17. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    After watching the trailer again, I have to say that if it's not my favorite trailer, it's near the top. I can't wait to see the movie itself.

18. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    This movie looks remarkably good.

19. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah it's quite good.

20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I don't know that the trailer has been posted, my bad if it has? It looks fantastic!!!

21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    The music was just so awesome.

22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  23. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    How many unpaid interns do Elle & moviepilot have writing for them?

24. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Disney must like releasing movies in March. Including Beauty and the Beast and 2018's Wreck-It-Ralph 2, Disney (the main studio itself and not the subsidiaries like Touchstone or Miramax) will have released a movie every March since 2005. While March has started to become a more popular month for non-summer potential blockbusters, this wasn't always the case.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think Disney deciding to release some the film in March is definitely strategy as there are not many blockbusters in that month and Disney needs to space out their films since they own Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilms.