main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    There was speculation that in this new Beauty and the Beast, more of an emphasis may be made on Belle being an actual prisoner. In the trailer, there may be evidence of that.

When Belle realizes Lumiere can talk, she doesn't look like she's in a bedroom. Now, she may be outside the cells, but it looked like she was inside a cell, perhaps the one her father had just occupied.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I saw Moana yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Based upon the trailers, I wasn't looking forward to it, really. But happily, like with Zootopia, I was wrong. It looks gorgeous, and the plot and characters are engaging. There was also a nice cameo from

Sven

If you're undecided on this, I'd say give it a go. I'm looking forward to my second viewing, whenever that may be.

Ghost likes this.
  4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    It was better than I expected it to be. The detail was amazing, especially the oceanic imagery. But the detail is so painstaking that they gave Moana arm hair in a couple of shots. I thought that was kinda strange. That's a little overkill to me, but that's such a silly criticism. I thought it was pretty good. Disney keeps on filling up the theatres again and again!

Ghost likes this.
  5. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    New picture from Beauty and the Beast from Empire magazine.

Gaston and Belle

6. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    Moana was an absolute joy to watch! The brilliant use of color, the catchy music, the animation in general were all superb, and the story itself was awesome! You guys have to give this film a chance, its so so worth it.

yankee8255 likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I also heard it was good in that it hired Polynesian actors and screenwriters, and consulted Polynesian storytellers, when making this movie. That, combined with the good reviews, will mean I probably go to see the movie.

yankee8255 likes this.
  8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Have them make a live action The Three Caballeros movie.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But were will we get a duck, parrot and a cock that can play the part?

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Moana was magnificent. The music, design, acting, and story were all top notch. I'd be interested in Disney taking a more mythological direction or that fairy tales are played out (with both Tangled and Frozen being self aware as a result). No reason they can't do both though.

And on that note, the Beauty and the Beast trailer looked much better on the big screen. I was already in, but even the servants that I found so unconvincing looked a lot better.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Just saw Moana with my sister and niece. Total agreement.

12. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Moana was pretty enjoyable. The glue that holds the movie together are the two leads Moana & Maui, a story that may seem cut-and-paste but does have its own share of things to make it unique, and the animation. I can't stress enough how great the animation is, practically making you feel like you're in the movie's environments. I can only imagine how this flick will be in IMAX.

One negative for me is a film's first act. It's rather derivative and gets the story off to a slow start. Once it gets to the signature, that's when the film really (ahem) sets sail. The songs, while far from bad, aren't what I'd call amazing, and some are a little intrusive. I don't mind them too much however since songs are after all a Disney staple, and some of the songs are definitely good for the movie in their own right. Best song for me is How Far I'll Go. Worst song for me is Where You Are.

Not sure where I'd stack in when ranking it in the Animated Canon, but going from the Revival Era alone, for me it's better than Princess & The Frog and Winnie the Pooh 2011. It's equal to Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph and Big Hero 6, but it's not better than Frozen and Zootopia.

Bummed about no DAC movie in 2017. Sure gonna be a long wait till 2018's Wreck It Ralph 2.

13. cerealbox

May 5, 2016

Last time I checked didn't they have a reimagined Jack and the Beanstalk film in the wings?

Also a King of the Elves adaptation?

14. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Yes, the Jack and the Beanstalk one will be called Gigantic, but will also be out in 2018. The King of Elves adaptation seems to be in limbo at the moment.

But 2017, there's none. Which is extremely odd to me, since you'd think that there'd be something for the 80th anniversary of the Disney Animated Canon. Yes, next year, it'll have been 80 years since Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Holy cow. 80 freaking years.

PCCViking likes this.
  15. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

There's also Wreck-It-Ralph 2 coming out in March 2018. Next year has two Pixar movies, I believe (Cars 3 and something else).

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Coco is out in November. It's about the Day of the Dead.

PCCViking likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Part of this may be of interest :p

18. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Wow I didn't realize it until now.

[​IMG]

Darth Xalfrea and Gamiel like this.
  19. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Sounds a bit like that old story that The Lion King was ripped off from an old Manga cartoon.

Could be happenstance. There are only so many ideas in the world.

20. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    As a fan of Sailor Moon during my childhood I didn't realize it until now. No wonder the first time I saw Elsa, I feel that I've seen her image and character before... Berthier was one of my favorite SM villains, no wonder I like Elsa's concept a lot.

Since Disney have worked with Toei a lot, it's totally reasonable that they were inspired by this character's concept.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would have preferred if they had ripped of H.C. Andersen instead

22. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Reminds me of this one video someone did when Smash Bros Wii U was out and they were asking people on the street who the characters were. When the lady was asking people about Rosalina, many people thought it was Elsa. :p

23. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I'm not sure if King of Elves would be a good fit for Disney's current renaissance.

It's doesn't have a teenage or child protagonist. It not a coming of age story.

Then again, Zootopia didn't have a kid protagonist either, but it was a coming of age story for Judy.

But King Of Elves is a story about a guy in his twilight years. Like Up, but less grouchy, without a kid sidekick. It's not even a love story like Wall-E.

24. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Since it's been a little while since the last Disney musical (Frozen in 2013), might as well give my ranking of the 6 musical numbers in the movie, not counting reprises. From best to worst for me:

1. How Far I'll Go
    2. You're Welcome/Shiny
    3. We Know the Way
    4. Know Who You Are
    5. Where You Are

25. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Like Let it Go previously, here's How Far I'll Go official multilanguage.

The song is also on the Golden Globe nominations for best original song, while both Moana and Zootopia are nominated for Best Animated Picture.

yankee8255 and Diggy like this.