main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They'll sell out more shows and make more money with food.

And I love the reserved seating, no more time wasted in line which is far less attractive than it used to be.

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Enjoyed it quite a lot. And like several of you, I saw it in an AMC with those lounge seats. This one also served alcohol so it was a very relaxing experience. Not having to worry about finding a good seat is such a great trade off to having to suffer through "First look" or run around in the dark trying to find open space. Instead, we got in about 5 minutes before previews started and had plenty of time to buy concessions.

The movie itself was very good. I liked Ewan's musical performance best I think. Luke Evans was a great Gaston. Josh Gad was very good. Kevin Kline was excellent. I thought Emma Watson provided a very strong take on Belle while still honoring the original character. Dan Stevens though was absolutely amazing as the Beast. Between this and Legion, he's having a great year. Ian McKellan felt underused at times but was excellent whenever he popped up. Emma Thomas was great as always but I feel she had the hardest job of all: following Angela Lansbury is a tough thing to do. She did her best, but if I'm honest, nothing will top Angela Lansbury's Mrs. Potts for me. The new scenes added enhanced the film a bit. And the new songs didn't distract much. "Evermore" was definitely my favorite of the new ones. The orchestra was awesome as well. That is one thing where I really did appreciate the additions to "Gaston", "Be Our Guest" and "Beauty and the Beast". The one thing that did stick out like a sore thumb though was the use of autotune on "Belle" It was most noticeable there but definitely heard it in other songs. Emma Watson did a nice job so it was a bit annoying that it was ruined by the use of autotune. CGI was excellent though and the work done on the staff as objects- very nice.
    A few small nitpicks about the villagers and a few other things, but overall a very enjoyable movie.

Ghost likes this.
  3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I hadn't seen the animated version in some 17 years, but as the movie went on, I found myself recalling most of the songs from the original. I sang along with "Bonjour" and "My What a Guy that Gaston." That was a ton of fun.

And the whole "Le Fou is gay" thing was totally overblown. He idolizes Gaston as in the original, but there were only a small handful of references to his sexuality. You'd have to be looking for them in order to spot them.

PCCViking likes this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Yeah. If not for the announcement, people probably wouldn't notice.

I've seen it twice, and even though I know it turns out great for everyone, I can't help tearing up when:

as the Beast is dying, the servants lose their ability to move and talk, becoming real objects; Chip barely being saved from being smashed on the ground while still in cup form.

DaddlerTheDalek and Ghost like this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I really enjoyed the live action version of Beauty and the Beast, and the Beast's face did not bother me at all.

The windmill scene was a bit crushing.

Ghost and PCCViking like this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Watched it today, brought my 11-year-old cousin. It was pretty good!
    I especially felt the ending.

Emma Watson did fine, and I liked the newer take on her character... but she wasn't absolutely amazing in the role.

Also Gaston and LeFou clearly have some kind of friends with benefits thing going on... though LeFou's happy ending, dancing with a guy who loved the "fabulous makeover" the talking wardrobe gave him in the battle is a blink-and-you-miss-it shot, and I didn't actually like LeFou as a character.

Belle's dad is great.
    And you learn about Belle's mom and the Beast's parents, and that's how they help connect.
    You also learn about Mr Potts and Mrs Cogsworth.
    Gaston's evil is also toned down a notch, at least until the very end, though he's as narcisstic as ever.
    Loved Mrs Potts, Chip, Lumiere and Cogsworth, and the wardrobe lady and piano guy and feather-duster. Mrs Potts was my favorite of the bunch I think.

Also I have to say the costumes and sets in this movie are gorgeous, and I'm not usually a person who cares or pays attention to that kind of thing, but they really stick out as amazing, they have to win that Oscar next year.

Some new songs and plots, but most of the movie is very similar to the original, very nostalgic. And you get to see the Beast before his transformation, as this cruel arrogant partygoer, and they go more into the enchantments.

Overall I really liked it. It dragged in some parts, Emma Watson's performance was fine but missing something from being amazing, you felt for the characters and the ending was great.

PCCViking likes this.
  7. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I thought Gaston was actually more evil in this one. He actually attempted to murder Maurice before turning him over to the asylum. Even the original Gaston wasn't that nasty.

Also, the town does have policemen (or the equivalent). You can see them in uniforms during the song, "Belle," as they lock up a town drunk. Yet, when Gaston is inciting the mob, they're seen, but they're not actually exercising authority. They're letting vigilantism rule the day.

8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Everything is well done, especially the servants, I just think Emma Watson's acting was the worst part. The chemistry purely rely on the Beast.

9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Of those, I saw Brother Bear, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt in theaters. The Lion King and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh were my favorites growing up, but there are so many that I enjoy.

I know every line of dialogue from the 1977 Winnie the Pooh by heart to this day.

I like the first Pirates of the Carribean and National Treasure as far as pre-2000 disney films go.
    My all time favorite non Star Wars film is 1993's Homeward Bound. The ending where the old dog comes home makes me warm up inside and cry with joy.

10. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Went to Disney Springs Dine In AMC Theater to see this! Started the Day at the Star Wars store, and Marvel Store but only looked didn't buy because didn't want to carry throughout Disney Springs. then we went to The Rain Forest Café, then we went to actually shop at the Marvel, Star Wars and Disney stores and brought our haul back to the car! Then we went to the top of the Coke store to the coke bar to get coke floats! Then Finally the Movie, I loved It even more then the cartoon. I thought it was more obvious that LeFou was gay then I thought It would, didn't mind at all because I support the LGBT Community whole heartedly! all in all great day great movie.

11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    sorry for the double post but my edit window expired, but was Emma Watson's acting any worse then in Harry Potter? I personally don't think so I think she did really good!!!!!

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I still think Padme would have been the perfect Belle if it was 10-15 years ago.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  13. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

Yeah Padme was great as Jackie. What did you think of Gandalf's performance as Sherlock Holmes?

Leoluca Randisi, PCCViking and Ghost like this.
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I love Natalie Portman thought her best acting performance was Black Swan, and Natalie was probably the first actress that I followed her career. but I feel like no mater how her performance 10-15 years ago of a possible Belle Character would have been people would have complained like they did about her Padme Character and the wooden acting. Another thing about the movie I saw it In 3-D Is It just me or has 3-D gotten a heck of a lot better then even 3 or 4 years ago? I thought the 3-D looked fantastic actually thought some of the stuff was going to hit me and tried to duck a few times. I am definitely Seeing future Star Wars In 3-D as well as other formats!

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The prequel wasn't her fault, it was Lucas' script.

16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    The problem was they cut her good scenes from Revenge of the Sith. Had they kept the Delegation/early Rebel leadership scenes, it would have suited her character better. As it is, her ROTS role pales in contrast to her kicking *** and taking names in TPM and AOTC.

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, HOW DARE they cut the scene of the meeting? Padme, Mon Mothma and Bail were so awesome there and it was the beginning of the rebel alliance? Especially Mon Mothma, as the leader of the alliance, got her most important PT scene cut.

PCCViking likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Even worse than that, they cut out her family scenes in AOTC, which really added depth to her and made her seem more human, and understand where she's coming from.

PCCViking likes this.
  19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012

The French B&B.

Do you guys think the young Audrey Tautou would be a good Belle?

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah. Padme is somewhat more well rounded as a character in the tie-in novels than she is on screen.

PCCViking likes this.
  21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The fiance and I watched Moana on Saturday ($0.54 Redbox rental) and Beauty and the Beast on Sunday ($36 3D tickets, $20 concessions).

Moana

- the story: We enjoyed it and we didn't think it dragged at all. We were "hooked" pretty quickly. We appreciated the South Pacific culture and my appreciation only grew after watching the bonus features. With the character of Maui, we both thought it would be more of the story of Hawaii and/or how it was related to Hawaii, but realized it was much bigger than that.
    - the music: While I thought the music was culturally appropriate and fitting, none really stuck to me after viewing like other Disney musicals. My fiance really enjoyed it and watched Youtube videos of said music all Monday.
    - the voice work: My fear was that the Rock was going to be too much Rock (if that makes sense), which he was at first, but thankfully he disappeared into his role as Maui. I wanted Maui the character to stand on his own regardless of who was voicing him and the movie succeeded in doing that. Props to the director.
    - overall: This movie didn't blow me away like Frozen first did, but I remember it fondly and wouldn't mind watching it again. I know as a kid I would watch the heck out of the Disney movies and the songs would just stick. I think the same would be true with this one after multiple viewings. It's a very fine addition to the Disney animated musical pantheon.

Beauty and the Beast
    In a word, it was okay. My fiance didn't really like the addition of the new songs, but other than that she enjoyed it. I think it had a lot of problems.

The director/writers had the ability to show and not tell us in the live action adaption of what happened with the witch and the prince in the beginning, but instead we were given voice over again. Why not let the actors speak the lines?

Emma Watson can sing and did a great job, but the standout was the Beast. I wanted to see more of him and it felt like he was in the movie the least.

I appreciated the movie fixing the cursed for "10" years to "many" years, and the brainwashing of the townspeople concerning the castle and the prince made sense. I don't know how much time Belle and the Beast spent together while the events of the real world were happening, but it can be easily explained that it was "magic" or "sorcery".

Gaston was good acting wise. He was believable and his actions in "helping" Maurice made sense compared to his actions in the cartoon. I guess I expected more power from his singing voice so I was a little let down there.

LeFou was also ok and funny for the most part. I liked him spreading money around the bar to get them to sing with him about Gaston. I wish I hadn't heard that his character was gay as I would have liked to experience that organically. It's a shame that when the media got a hold of the information that it blew up the way it did.

Maurice was pretty well done. I appreciated the backstory even though I didn't think it was really needed. He was a lot better than his idiot cartoon counterpart.

I was pretty disappointed, overall, concerning the enchanted objects. The attention to detail to make them look realistic and the animation were spot on, I just think the chemistry wasn't there like it was in the cartoon version. The candle cared more about the feather duster than the clock and one of the appealing aspects of the cartoon version is Cogsworth and Lumiere's friendship which seemed pretty non existent. In the end, I cared more about the coat rack than any of the ones that could talk.

Moral: The best things in life are free*.

*$0.54 is essentially free.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  23. Celidore

Celidore Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2015
    I loved so so much Disney's Beauty and the Beast live action! [face_love]
    Wonderful songs, scenographies, costumes and characters! I already watched it twice and I'll probably watch it for the third time soon [face_batting]
    What's your favourite song? Mine is Be Our Guest ...and Something There too:)

PCCViking likes this.
  24. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What a terrible idea. First Ritchie, and now Smith.

Guidman likes this.