main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA The Doorstop Thread (Books)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AboutaSith, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Anybody read any of the Star Wars EU Books?

Rion in the OC posted this info:

"Drew Karpyshyn, author of Star Wars:Darth Bane Path of Destruction will be discussing and signing copies of his book at Barnes & Noble Huntington Beach on Oct. 12 at 7pm."

2. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Since I'm a serious reader, thought I'd bump this thread up. Does anybody read (or listen to) SW or Sci-Fi books? How about any book in general? Give us a review!

I just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It was recommended as classic Sci-Fi by somebody on another thread. I believe it was written in the early '90s and won a Sci-Fi book award. It was probably meant for young adults thru adults.

I really enjoyed it, especially due to several surprises towards the end. A lot of times I figure the turns out before they happen. This time I didn't.

I just started Ender's Shadow which is more of a companion book rather than a sequel. It's about how one of the characters that Ender befriends came to be at the same place as Ender when they meet. It's good so far!

Also, I've been reading and listening to several of the books from the X-Wing series. I happened to come across 4 of them on cassette at a thrift store (score!) right after I'd finished reading the first two. I love books on tape!

Anybody else read or reading them or something else? I always appreciate recommendations!

3. DarthMalum

DarthMalum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2006
    I read the Jedi Academy series, not bad, not bad at all, and i have just started reading
    Betrayal

4. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    I started reading I, Jedi but haven't read it for about a month though

5. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I've read I, Jedi 2 or 3 times. It's one of my favorites! Really enjoyed the X-Wing books I've read and listened to and need to get the next few in the series.

6. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    Me too! I LOVE I, Jedi. LOVE IT! I did read the Young Jedi Knights series and now I'm reading the original trilogy. I also like Tales of the Bounty Hunbters. A really good fantasy series I love, but it's geared more toward pre-teens is the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. Really good. :)

7. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Enchanted Forest? That sounds familiar. Who is it written by? I always appreciate a recommendation! How about The Golden Compass and the two sequels? That's a great fantasy trilogy!

8. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    His Dark Materials is a fantastic trilogy! I have the original three (with the proper names). They are filming the first one for the movie trilogy at the moment.

9. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    What are the "proper" titles?

10. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    The first one has two names depending on when/where it was published.

The Proper Name of the first one was Northern Lights. I beleive it was changed to The Golden Compass because some people have no idea what the Northern Lights are [face_worried] but then some places say this was the resaon:

The title change for the first book of His Dark Materials has been the source of endless confusion for fans on both sides of the Atlantic, and the rationale behind the change isn't entirely clear. When the book was first published in the United Kingdom, it was called Northern Lights. However, when it was published in North America, it was renamed The Golden Compass.

Apparently, Pullman's original name for the series was The Golden Compass Says..., and that was the name under which he sent it off to American publishers. He heard nothing from them for months, and in the interim, decided (with his British publisher's full blessing) to rename the series His Dark Materials. Months later, RandomHouse sent a letter to inform him that they would be thrilled to publish The Golden Compass and, when Pullman explained that the name had changed, insisted that the cover artwork was already slated to publicly appear the following month, and it was too late to change the title.

Regardless of the name, the two books are essentially the same beast (minus the art by Philip Pullman that headed up the chapters in the UK version). Since The Golden Compass fits with the naming pattern that the rest of the series maintains, this site will generally refer to the book under that title.

Great books none the less, looking forward to the film versions!

11. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles are by Patricia C. Wrede. They are Dealing with Dragons, Seraching For Dragons, Calling on Dragons and Talking to Dragons. :)

12. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Anybody read Earagon (Spelling?)

13. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I've read Eragon and Eldest and am anxiously awaiting the 3rd book! Think I heard that it will be out this summer. Two terrific fantasy books to read, the last Harry Potter and the last book in the Inheritance Trilogy.

14. delta_1138

delta_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2006
    I'm reading the Dune Chronicles. I am currently done with the third one, but don't have the time or money to start the fourth.

15. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I have two words for you Delta: Public Library! Of course they can't help with the time issue, but checking out books is free!

How many books are in that series? I"m guessing they must be pretty good since you've read 3 of them already.

16. delta_1138

Aug 17, 2006
    There are about seven written by Frank Herbert, and quite a few more by his son.

17. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Check out Amazon.com for used books. I got some star wars ones for less then a buck, paid a couple of bucks for shipping but still worked out saving a bundle, just be patient as most of the time they send them media mail.

Woohoo! Dark Horse issued Legacy 3 & 7 and KOTOR 7. Can finally get back to the comics!

18. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Isn't that a fairly new series? I know I have Dealing With Dragons and possibily Searching for Dragons in my library. Guess I need to get the last two!

19. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Woot, got another bundle of SW Comics, seems they are getting back on track now!

20. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    Reading? I'm a regular bookworm! For Star Wars books, I've read almost all of the early EU (Truce at Bakura, Crystal Star), several X-wing novels, nearly the entire YJK series, and one or two prequel EUs like Rogue Planet and Jedi Trial. My favorites, though they're geared toward yeens, is the Young Jedi Knights series. I really want to read I, Jedi.

As for scifi/fantasy, I'm a big fan of Anne McCaffrey, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, T.A. Barron, Brian Jaques, and the fellow who wrote a fantasy book called Shadowmancer. (can't remember his name) My favorites by far are from the Harper Hall trilogy by Anne McCaffrey; Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums. I've only read the first and can't read the others because the library network doesn't have them and I don't have any extra money right now. :(

Another really good series is the five or so books by T.A. Barron called the Lost Years of Merlin. It tell about the legendary wizard's teen years; before he became a wizard. It has a strong Celtic feel to it and I'm in the rpocess of devouring Number Three: The Fires of Merlin.

21. HanChewie

HanChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2006
    I am currantly reading the Last of the Jedi series of books from Scholastic for younger readers. I am on book number 6, and the author, Jude Watson, is really a great writer. She keeps me not wanting to put the book down. I love the series, so far. Highly recommend them. Great stories.

22. delta_1138

Aug 17, 2006
    Anyone read Darth Bane: Path of Destruction? I read it a few Fridays back. It was really good. I've never connected so well with an evil character.
    There's a major in-universe error in there. Try to find it if you read it.

23. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    well I pre-ordered my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. This is the first time I've ever pre-ordered a book! The books I usually read have been around for a while...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.