main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index The DownTime Pilot Index 3.0 - Feb/Mar Featured Fics (2/2), Rookie Challenge (2/21)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pilot_Fic_Index, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I already told this to Lane:

I like Code Monkey for Hobbie. Poor Code Monkey, and poor Hobbie.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh my gosh, I had never thought of that for Hobbie. Who would Future Soon go with? Donos?

3. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007

thanks for the plot bunny. It's nibbling at my shins and doesn't look like it's going to go anywhere.

You're very welcome :p :D I totally support the plot bunny!!! [face_dancing]

I have never heard of "Code Monkey" before, but it's certainly amusing :D

4. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Here's my oddball of an entry for the challenge:

"Two Sides"
    http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/31514043/

5. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Sorry all! I'm getting caught up right now after a busy weekend.

Sounds like there's a couple of you who could use a few extra days to get challenge responses in. How does an extension to Thursday sound? :D

(Mostly because I haven't thought up the next challenge yet)

~*~

Love the theme songs you all have come up with! Great responses for this discussion topic.

New discussion topic in the next few days :)

~*~

Thumper, earlybird I see your fics! I'll get them added into the index tomorrow.

~*~

Anyone have a writing prompt they'd like to see featured as part of the next challenge?

6. LadyReva

LadyReva Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2011
    That extension would be welcome. I have my entry half ways finished, but I'm still missing a few scenes.o_O

7. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    We'll make it official, then!

Challenge Extended to Thursday, February 3rd

Voting will take place from Friday, February 4th to Friday, February 11th

Winner will be announced the following Saturday.

~*~

For those who are curious, the next challenge will start on Monday, February 14th and extend to Monday, April 15th. Nine weeks seems like a pretty solid window, we've gotten significantly more responses for the second challenge than the first.

I'm still searching for a prompt for the next challenge, so if you've got an idea please voice them in the thread!

~*~

And as an FYI, new featured fics are going up today. These will be on the front page through March.

8. Pilot_Fic_Index

Pilot_Fic_Index Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2005
    Two fics by earlybird and Thumper added to the index!

One challenge response by Thumper added to the index!

Refer to the first page of the index for links and more information.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    So...featured fics?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Sorry for the delay! Every time I try to get on to post these fics it seems like TFN's servers decide to go down. The move cannot happen soon enough! The only good thing that's done is give me a bit more time to write my own fics.

~*~
    Featured Fics for February/March 2011

Featured Longfic:

A Pilot Story - The Adventures of Wedge Antilles - by RogueLead11
    Summary: A Classic OT Era tale set before the Battle of Yavin examining the adventures of Wedge Antilles in the period between his pareten's murder aboard the Gus Treta station and his joining of the Rebel Alliance.
    Timeframe: Pre-Yavin IV
    Characters: Wedge Antilles, Rogues, Rebellion era characters
    Genre: Longfic

Featured Shortfic:

Above the Line of Fire - by Mirax_Corran
    Summary: The story of how Tycho Celchu became a member of the original Rogue Squadron.
    Timeframe: Post Yavin-IV
    Characters: Tycho Celchu, Wedge Antilles, Luke Skywalker, Hobbie Klivian, Wes Janson
    Genre: Drama and angst
    Notes: The title and song lyrics are from the Dr. Dog song ?We All Belong,? which was tremendously helpful to me as I wrote this. If you feel so inclined, listen to it. Also, this is the longest thing I've ever written by more than a thousand words.

This month's featured longfic comes by the suggestion of our friends with the Talon writing crew. I have not read it yet, but I plan on getting to it soon!

The shortfic is one of my all-time favorites, taking a look into Tycho Celchu and the original formation of Rogue Squadron.

Happy reading, all!

11. LadyReva

LadyReva Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2011
    [face_hypnotized]

I did it... A Wraith Memorial is my entry to the memorial challenge. Minus two of the planned parts because my muse just did NOT want to work any more.

And now I think I'm going to go watch something brain dead for a while. My brain hurts.[face_beatup]I really should get rid of my nasty habit of procrastinating.

12. Pilot_Fic_Index

Feb 21, 2005
    One new fic and challenge response by LadyReva added to the index!

Refer to the first page for more information and a link.

13. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Okay everyone, the window for challenge responses is now closed!

Here are the responses:

Jason - by earlybird_obi_wan
    Rogue One - by Lane_Winree
    Daring to Soar - By the TalonIntelSquad
    What dreams may come - by Abeja
    Have One on Me - by DarthIshtar
    Two Sides - by Thumper09
    A Wraith Memorial - by LadyReva

And here are the voting guidelines:

You have from now to Friday, February 11 to read through these wonderful fics and decide which one to cast your vote for. Once you have selected your favorite of the bunch, submit your vote as a PM to the index sock, Pilot_Fic_Index.

Results will be posted on Saturday, February 12.

As an FYI, a new challenge will go up the following Monday.

~*~

It appears that 12 weeks was the sweet spot for this challenge. Is everyone okay with using that window again?

And as a personal note, you all rock for writing these responses! We've more than doubled what was turned in for the first challenge. :)

14. Lady_Jedi93

Lady_Jedi93 Jedi Knight star 4

May 11, 2010
    In the mood for pilot fic and found the index on page 2 :eek:
    Up :D

15. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Hey guys! Remember you've got until Friday to get your votes in for the Memorial Challenge!

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    loved both the featured fics.

Great insight into the characters we all love.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm presenting a paper next week on the role of humility in heroism and thought I'd share a couple of paragraphs from my section on "The Ideal Hero". This from "The Meek Shall Inherit: Why An Aristocrat Will Never Save the Galaxy."

With such a broad spectrum of heroes, each with their own strengths and their own flaws, how should we define a hero? Perhaps it is one that we must build from scratch. As a teenager might imagine their ideal mate, let us imagine the perfect epic hero.

On a collective scale, Aaron Allston may have pegged it best when he created Wraith Squadron for the Star Wars continuity. While his predecessor in the X-Wing series filled the New Republic?s most renowned and celebrated fighter unit with aristocrats, cops and even an alien lawyer, Allston imagined a unit comprised of ?washouts and screw-ups,? people who would be sneered at by the rest of the military, but who would have their own redeeming features. Why does this sound familiar? If nothing else, the composition of the unit seems to be begging for the strangely admirable Prince Zuko to join its ranks. The squadron is eventually led by Garik Loran, a man ?hand-picked to be the boy most likely to be the subject of crushes,? who was compelled in a way to be humble. Unusually handsome, ?Face? Loran is disfigured by a facial scar earned in the unwitting service of the Empire, but his soul is scarred by the crimes with which he accuses himself. Like Zuko, he is a man angry at himself and his insightful best friend comments that ?You do what you do so you can punish a little boy,? meaning the child that Garik once was. While Zuko presses forward in constant quest for vengeance, Garik Loran pushes himself in a constant quest for redemption. He was told that he ?bought [his] way into the Alliance? and has struggled ever since to prove that person wrong. As a result, one of the most respected fighters of their time observes that Garik?s unit is ?different. Hand them an ordinary set of instructions and they?ll carry them out in an ordinary fashion. Hand them an objective without instructions and they accomplish it some strange way?I?m having a hard time anticipating them? (Wraith Squadron).

Another person who shares a similar struggle is Ahsoka Tano, the unlikely apprentice of the future Darth Vader in Star War?s Clone Wars series. First criticized as being too young for the job, her early performances do not do much to disprove this theory. She even admits in ?Jedi Crash? that ?I?ve certainly perfected the art of demolishing ships and almost getting my Master killed.? When given a simple task, she proves herself enough that her Master comments that ?Because of Ahsoka?s advanced abilities, I forgot how young she is.? It appears that while Anakin is ?the one with experience? and Ahsoka is ?the one with enthusiasm,? that enthusiasm serves her well. In a form of ?fake it ?til you make it,? she performs duties far beyond her years because she believes that she is capable of it. This kind of faith is integral to the development of a heroic character; as Jedi Knight Aayla Secura advises this young apprentice, ?A strong belief can be more powerful than any army.?

18. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Oooh, Face! Very nice paper, DarthIshtar! :D I loved when I got to use Star Wars as a basis for school assignments.

Fic pimping tiiiiiiime! Lane and I have started a fic in the Beyond board called Knights of Plooma. It's basically Starfighters of Adumar but with Jedi Knights as the diplomats. And all of Rogue Squadron is involved, too. Oh and Luke and Mara have to pretend that they're married. FUN TIMES!

19. Pilot_Fic_Index

Feb 21, 2005
    One new fic by JediMara77 and Lane_Winree added to the index!

Refer to the first page for a link and more information.

20. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Ish - That actually sounds like a really fascinating paper! Loved the excerpt you gave us :)

~*~

Today's the last day to get your votes in for the Memorial Challenge!

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    If you want to read the rest, let me know. Anyone have good recs for pre-JaggedFel Imperial pilot fics? Not that I don't admire Jag, but I need something without all the Solo family drama.

22. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Ish - I'd actually love to see the rest of that paper!

~*~

Okay everyone, The winner of the Memorial Challenge is ...

Two Sides by Thumper09!

Congrats Thumper! :D

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    WTG, Thumper!

Lane, I'll PM it to you.

24. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Congratulations, Thumper :)!