Index The DownTime Pilot Index 3.0 - Feb/Mar Featured Fics (2/2), Rookie Challenge (2/21)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pilot_Fic_Index, Sep 11, 2010.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
  2. Thumper09 Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, thanks! [face_blush] All the entries were amazing. I'm still working on replies ([face_blush] x 2) but I really enjoyed reading all of them and seeing everyone's insights into the characters with this topic.

Looking forward to the next challenge! :)
  3. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    Just as a heads up, new challenge is coming on Monday!
  4. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    Challenge #3: Rookies and Greenhorns

This one comes courtesy of DT Index friend InyriForge.

As much as a commanding officer would like to bring in seasoned pilots every time there's a roster vacancy, young pilots fresh from flight school or some moisture farm on Tatooine are going to be brought in at some point to fly with the big boys. For some squadrons and veteran pilots, this can be cause for some conflict. Others will embrace the new kid in the group.

For the greenhorn, it's often a daunting experience to join an active-duty squadron for the first time.

The challenge is this: Write a fic about a rookie

This one is open ended, and for a reason. Feel free to attack this challenge from any angle. Perhaps you want to tell this story through the eyes of the rookie. Maybe you would like to get into a veteran's head and see what their thoughts about the new baby-faced pilot are.

And as always, both canon and original characters are welcome.

Submissions will be accepted from February 22nd to May 24. Voting will take place the following week.

If you want to participate and would like brainstorming help, feel free to ask in the thread and keep an eye out for an upcoming discussion topic geared towards this challenge.

Good luck!
  5. Katana_Sundancer Force Ghost

star 4
    Ooh... I have such a good feeling about this one... I already have a scene running through my head... Oh yeah.

Might even dovetail with something I'm already writing...
  6. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    same for me with a young pilot discussing things;)
  7. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ooh, I've got an idea running in my head right now...hopefully, I can convince it to come out.
  8. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmmm... Maybe it's time for a look at Nash's first go in the cockpit....
  9. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    So, I have a young Luke/Leia AU going on and when looking for Luke's roommate, I realized that it was Hobbie. Does that eventually count as a pilotfic?
  10. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    Depends on the role, I'd think. If Hobbs is just out there in the periphery and mentioned once or twice, probably not. However if he is around to push the plot, absolutely.

Hope that helps!

(Also, I promise I'm going to read your paper soon Ish! Life has been crazy lately x.x )
  11. Abeja Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Hi everyone! This is no reply to the challenge, but I thought I'd post it here nonetheless :) It's a story about Hobbie Klivian's past and if you got the time, I'd love to hear what you think about it:

Peace of Mind
  12. Pilot_Fic_Index Jedi Knight

star 1
    Two new fics by abeja and earlybird added to the index!

Refer to the first page for links and more information

Reminder!

The DT Rookie Challenge is still on! Submit your entries to the sock. If you need help coming up with an idea, feel free to ask in the thread.
  13. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
  14. Pilot_Fic_Index Jedi Knight

star 1
    Four new fics by -thor- and earlybird_obi_wan added to the index!

One challenge response by earlybird_obi_wan added to the index!

Refer to the front page for more information.
  15. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    A reminder everyone!

You've got until May 24th to get your responses for the Rookie Challenge in!

~*~

I do apologize for the lack of activity in the index the last couple months. Between school and a very spotty internet connection (Comcastic? More like craptastic), I haven't been online very much to post discussion topics and get fics indexed. I'm hoping to turn that around and breathe some life back into this place!

Keep an eye out for a discussion topic in the next few days that should help get you jump-started on your challenge responses!
  16. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    Well so much for my internet issues being solved.:rolleyes:

The challenge deadline has come and gone, but only one submission made it in. Is there any interest in extending the deadline another week?
  17. Thumper09 Force Ghost

star 4
    For myself, I've got minimal writing time at the moment so I couldn't make proper use of an extension, but I appreciate the offer. :)

I love focusing on my main character's rookie era. It's easily one of my favorite things to write about and use to develop the character's personality, and it's easier for me from an OOU perspective too. Thinking about other, highly skilled canon pilots like Wedge and Tycho as rookies is also fun to see where they started on their journeys, experience-wise. :cool:
  18. Thumper09 Force Ghost

star 4
    I have a kind of odd question for people. It's not an issue that's isolated to pilots, but it's something that can involve them heavily so I hope you all don't mind the broader scope in this case. I discussed this with a friend a while back and am interested in hearing opinions or ways to work with this subject.

Regarding Rebel and New Republic pilots, how much do you think they try to protect their identity? Would a generic pilot consider changing his/her name upon joining the Rebellion to keep their real name secret from the Imperials? Would the answer be different if Flight Officer Generic had a family back home? Would the answer be different depending on the political affiliations of his/her homeworld?

I've struggled with this for a long time. On one hand, my personal take on the Rebellion (others may disagree) is that hiding is essential to their survival. I trickle that notion down pretty far, maybe too far, and think that if an Imperial would find out a Rebel's real name, it could have consequences for any family members the Imperials could find. The Rebels had safeworlds for a reason. This subject would have direct impact on pilots who are at risk of being shot down behind enemy lines and captured. Following this all the way through, I even get to the point of asking if pilots have name tags on their flight suits and wear dogtags. For interactions with other Rebels they would need those, but if the fear of the Imperials learning too much is too great, maybe they don't have them in case they're shot down.

On the other hand, the galaxy is so huge and there are so many people in it that maybe the Imperials' knowing a name (and having a possible DNA record to go with the name?) isn't a big deal. Searching for other people who are related to that Rebel name might be a needle in a galactic haystack and not worth the time or resources for the Imperials to bother with it. Then Rebel name tags and dogtags become no concern. Maybe they could use their real identification and documents on a small Imperial world and have no problems and no fallout.

Every prominent Rebel pilot I can think of goes by his real name. Except for the mission to Coruscant in the X-wing books (and that's NR timeframe), I can't remember any of them going by a fake name even on a planet where they're at risk of bumping into Imperials, but I should really read the comics again and double check. But at the same time, I can't tell if it would be different if they'd had families back home they wanted to protect. Wedge's and Tycho's parents had died before they joined, and they were both single at the time (girlfriends/fiancees were killed). I don't know the status of Wes's and Hobbie's families when they joined. And, well, there are enough debates about why Luke's last name was kept as Skywalker when he was growing up and in hiding from Vader. :p In the New Republic it gets easier to keep a real name, and I believe all the Rogues and Wraiths did except for obvious undercover work.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Was there justification for Rebel pilots to be paranoid about the Imperials finding out they were a Rebel and what their name was, or was it no big deal?

I need to figure out once and for all where on the sliding scale I should focus so I can make things consistent within my own stories. :p

For anyone who got through that rambling mess, thank you! :)
  19. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I don't recall anyone wearing a name badge or dogtags in any of the movies. As far as threatening families, I'm sure the Imperials would have done just that if they got their hands on someone they thought could be useful. I mean they blew up Alderaan just to prove they could. But I imagine that most rebels wouldn't bother with changing their name. Your garden variety rebel/pilot probably didn't have the kind of information or influence with the rebel command that would be of any use to the Imperials, so there would be no point in hunting down anyone's family just to make a red shirt here or there unhappy. And most of the rebel command had firm and serious reasons for joining in the first place, like their families being slaughtered, and so had nothing to lose by flaunting just exactly who they were to the Imperials.

I don't know if any of that helped in anyway.
  20. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
  21. Dashren2001 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I was told to post my story in here by Thumper09

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...s-8-aby-updated-12-17.50004247/#post-50275730

Rebel Assault III: Afterburn
    Several years after the Phantom TIE incident was officially buried, Rookie One tries to figure out how to readjust to "normal" pilot life, only for his past to catch up to him and pull him right out of hyperspace.
    8 ABY
    Rookie One, Ru Murleen, various OC Pilots
    Starfighter Action, Drama

This story is a bit of a labor of love. Almost no one seems to have played these games, or at least don't remember them. I, meanwhile, must have played completely through Rebel Assault II at least thirty times as a kid. Rookie One's actions in the RA series are WAY too significant for the SW universe to forget about him, and I have never actually seen any Rookie One fics, so I decided to put this together. Hope you guys enjoy!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade