Index The DownTime Pilot Index 3.0 - Feb/Mar Featured Fics (2/2), Rookie Challenge (2/21)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pilot_Fic_Index, Sep 11, 2010.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Albaholly Jedi Master

star 2
    I think the hardest ones for me to write are the non-humans. Characters such as Runt, Piggy etc. You have to try and consider their rather unique perspective.

I a looking forward to the challenges. Would be good to get back into writing for fun again.
  2. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    I like writing Corran. He's such an interesting character. He has the fighter pilot/Jedi background, like Luke, but his character is so different. Also, because of I, Jedi, I love writing scenes with Mara and Corran.
  3. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I don't think that I've never written a canonical pilot, so I'm going to go with an OC, Qui-Sein Delph from Talon Intelligence Squadron. He's a bit of a peon at times, but is a prankster with a good heart. Kevin Ski and Karn Deloti from TIS also get honorable mentions.
  4. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    Ish - I've seen the Pink 5 stuff! I had no idea you had written fic about her, I'll have to check that out. Agreed on writing Face. I tried to write him once before but just struggled with his character.

Alba - Tycho is a fascinating character. There was a ton of space to explore with him between the comics and the first X-Wing novel. Shame no one did :(

Myra - Yup. Of the Rogues those two are my favorites to write. :D

Nanci - Corran's definitely an interesting character. I've only written him a few times and only in a peripheral role. Admittedly, I tend to play him off as a bit of a buttmonkey for comic relief. That said, I do like him as a character. He was one of the first major new characters in the EU and he came off well all said and done.

DM - Ah original characters. I do have a soft spot for them. :D The first truly presentable fic I ever wrote featured an OC. Had so much fun I wound up stretching him into a 670 page trilogy.

Soon as I get a minute or to more I'll answer the prompt myself!
  5. Thumper09 Force Ghost

star 4
    Nanci, if you're near Disney then you're probably not too terribly far from me. :)

For my favorite pilot to write, I'm obligated to say my OC Darin.

I rarely write canon characters. I've done it a few times with mixed results in fics hidden away on my hard drive, but I'll try answering with them. I think the easiest one / most fun for me to write is OT-era Hobbie. He has such a plain way of looking at the galaxy and seeing the reality in front of his face. Plus I get to really let loose with my cynical streak. :p On the other hand, IMHO Hobbie seems to work best as a character when he has someone lighter like Wes to play off of. That can make things a little trickier: characters like Wes can be loads of fun to write, but I have trouble keeping them interesting and preventing them from going stale.

I've never written Myn Donos before, but I really think he'd be an enjoyable character for me.
  6. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    OCs are a way of life. In fact, most of the writing I've done (probably a good 90% +) is OCs, and at least 3/4 of them are pilots. 670 page trilogy? That's an undertaking. :p
  7. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thumper: Woo-hoo, another Central Floridian! :) I can see and hear the Disney fireworks from my backyard, so yeah, I'm definitely in the area. :)
  8. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Check out my profile. All of my Pink 5 fics are there. I didn't write pilotfic at all until I had a plot bunny for Stacey to apply for Rogue Squadron post-Endor. It involved Wedge, Wes Janson and Stacey. I was very proud of myself for coming up with it and got a bunch of nice people who left reviews. I noticed that one of them happened to be one of the actors/writers from Pink 5 and I blogged about how awesome that was. Stupid me, I didn't know that the guy who had posted right before him was the creator/director/writer of Pink 5. Long story short, he emailed me to say that if I was willing to put up with his editing, he was interested in having me be the official fanfic writer. When Timothy Zahn wrote her into Allegiance, the director PMed me to let me know several months before publication and to take it easy on Tim, since he was the new kid. It's been really fun to work with FX_Guy (the director) and I even got hugged by the first guy I noticed on my story at C4 when we met at the Pink 5 marathon.
  9. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Who is your favorite pilot character to write? Why? What about him/her makes him interesting to you?

Corran. He has a Jedi background. I have written him as a young boy with his dad Valin who has also a really interesting back story. And I have written about Valin and his parents.

And I am doing a lot of fanart too
    [image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/falconcolor.jpg]
    was for DNA ID

10. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    Digging all the OC love :D

DMC Took about five years to write it all, but I'm pretty proud of the end-result. I mean, I cringe when I read the first installment of the trilogy (which was written while I was a sophomore/junior in high school) but objectively it isn't bad.

Thumper - Ooh, I'd love to see you take a stab at Hobbie fic (and hey, the next challenge might give you a chance ;) ). He's always been a hard character for me to write

Earlybird - My goodness! That's a fantastic piece of fanart :D

Ish - Wow! :eek:

Shoot, I remember watching the original Pink Five video ages ago but had no idea so much more had been done with the concept! I spent a while away from the EU so I missed a few things [face_blush]. I hadn't quite connected the dots to Stacey in Allegiance and the Pink 5 video (though I probably should have :oops:)

I must say your story is one of the coolest things I've ever heard! I will be reading through your Pink Five fics really soon :D

11. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Cringing is something that I usually do when I read my early fan fics. I like to think of it as part of the maturating in writing process. :p

That's a really nice looking Falcon, earlybird!
  12. Albaholly Jedi Master

star 2
    I still have a fic I did for HP on my profile on ff.net. I stopped writing it because I thought it was useless about 4 years ago, but every so often I go on there look at the writing style, the vocabulary and just think "how did I ever regard this as decent?"
  13. Mirax_Corran Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm gonna jump on the cringing-about-fic bandwagon here. I definitely used my indexerly privileges to take fics I wrote when I was 13 out of this index, because no one needs to experience them. I think everyone does it, though, and it's definitely part of the process of maturing as a writer.

And Lane's right: often, objectively, it's not as bad as it seems to us.
  14. Albaholly Jedi Master

star 2
    Abuse of power! :p

Just been reading a fic with Kell Tainer in it. IT struck me that he would be quite an easy character for me to write. HE shares the same sort of fascination for explosions that I do for fire and they are two very linked attitudes.

That quote from either Wraith Sqn or Iron Fist "Pretty, what do we blow up first?" would be me lol.
  15. Mirax_Corran Force Ghost

star 4
    Do you want to read the atrocious songfics I wrote when I was 13? Because I cannot imagine why anyone would do that to themselves ... :p

I've never written Kell, but he could definitely be interesting. Liking explosions would certainly make him easier to write for you.

As for the "Pretty. What do we blow up first?" quote, I'm pretty sure it's from Iron Fist, because I know that Myn says it and he's not much with the wisecracking in Wraith Squadron.
  16. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    DMC - Yeah, it's definitely part of the writing process. That said, I have to tell myself to be more objective when looking at my early stuff. If I go back to look at Rise of a Rogue with a fair and critical eye I can see that it's a decent fic. When compared to the stuff I've written in the last year or so it can leave something to be desired, but on its own merits it's a solid piece of writing.

Just goes to show that you're your own worst critic. :D

Alba - I've never used Kell in a lead role in a fic, but the few times I've written him I've had fun using him in a secondary role.

Myra - I won't press you to show off the songfics you wrote when you were 13 if you don't dig up the ones I wrote when I was 15 :p
  17. Albaholly Jedi Master

star 2
    No, I don't really...but others might :p

I have never been much of a fan of songfics...they drive me up the wall.
  18. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I don't know, Lane, mine were actually really bad. :p Now days, things are much better.

Although, I do need to occasionally remind myself that I'm writing fiction, not research papers.
  19. Albaholly Jedi Master

star 2
    You do that too?! I look back at some of my work and think that the writing style is disturbingly close to that of my dissertation...
  20. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    Songfics when done right can be really powerful. Problem is they're really tricky to pull off. If a writer can fuse the narrative and the theme of the lyrics together there's potential for a really strong story, but that's no easy task.

It's not a pilot!fic, but the one songfic I've written up that I'm willing to share with people is a Luke/Mara fic set to Oliver Nelson's "Stolen Moments".

Another one I'd recommend is Myra's I Tried to do Handstands for You, a Wedge/Iella fic.

DMC - I'm sure they weren't that bad :p
  21. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yep, that happens regularly. Then I have to take a step back and edit it out.

Lane, I'd give you a link, but I don't want to embarrass myself. :p They weren't well thought through at all, the characters are all Gary Stus and Mary Sues, and the writing itself is terrible.
  22. Albaholly Jedi Master

star 2
    My problem with them is that I don't really like listening to music. So I dont know the songs, plus, I do't like reading lyrics and I just can't help but why they keep breaking it up and why don't they just use continuous prose?

Adds up to a dislike of songfics...
  23. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    I think it's entirely possible to write a songfic while adhering to continuous prose. My style is to typically have two or three distinct scenes in a 3,000 to 5,000 vignette that are occasionally told from multiple perspectives. Because of that scene breaks are in order.

In the exceedingly rare instances I write a songfic, I use the lyrics to denote a scene break. The scene immediately following the lyrics will match the theme of that verse or chorus (which is what trips most people up when trying to write one).
  24. Mirax_Corran Force Ghost

star 4
    Actually, songfics often annoy me for the reason of discontinuous prose as well. I find that really well-written ones don't just randomly insert the lyrics in the middle of a scene, but use them to denote scene breaks. It makes their inclusion less jarring, and (if the correct song is used) the words help support the themes of the piece.
  25. Albaholly Jedi Master

star 2
    Additionally my dislike of music hardly helps things. A lot of the time I see the lyrics and because I haven't ever heard the song, I don't get the emphasis/inflection. So a lot fo the time the song and the fic don't match up as well for me as they perhaps would do for others.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade