main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index The DownTime Pilot Index 3.0 - Feb/Mar Featured Fics (2/2), Rookie Challenge (2/21)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pilot_Fic_Index, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I can do fog, wind, and rain. [face_skull]

Will the challenge be possible to do with OCs, do do we need to use official characters?

2. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    This one will be open enough to use original characters, yes.

While that won't always be the case (at times we'll do a character-centric challenge), it will be really easy to use OCs for this prompt.

3. Albaholly

Albaholly Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2010
    Don't talk to me about cold fog and wind. I still need to go out and smoke :_|

4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Sweet, thanks Lane!

5. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    And ANOTHER ANNOUNCEMENT!

Myra and I have selected the first round of featured fics. We'll be throwing them up on the front page on October 1st :D

The authors, if they're available, will get to select the next set of fics to highlight.

6. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Challenge #1: Ghost Stories

It's October, which means it's time for an appropriately themed challenge! I invite you to read the following in your head in Vincent Price's voice. Or Rod Serling. Your choice.

~*~

Combat pilots see a lot in the course of their careers. For some all of the death that surrounds them weighs on their minds perhaps a little too heavy. Others encounter the unexplainable. No matter the underlying cause, one thing is for certain.

Many pilots have their share of ghost stories to tell.

We're not talking about those blue Force apparitions. No, we're speaking of real spooks. Unidentified terrors. Demons and goblins.

Things that go bump in the night.

The challenge is this: Take a pilot and tell a ghost story. [face_skull]

Perhaps the pilot is relating a tale of the supernatural to his peers. Perhaps that unfortunate pilot is experiencing the horror right before the reader's eyes. The prompt is intentionally open-ended so do with it what you will.

The Rules!

Starting today you have until October 25th to get your entries in.

Your fic must involve a Starfighter Pilot of some form. They can be an OC or a canon character.

Once your fic has been written, post it to the appropriate board and post a link to it in the index. Be sure to also PM the pilot_fic_index sock with your entry.

After the deadline, we will vote for the best response. You will have from October 26th to October 30th to send your votes to the index sock.

The winner will be crowned on Halloween!

We do hope you'll participate. While you're at it, feel free to work on your evil laughter.

7. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Nice challenge idea, Lane. I may take a crack at it.

On another note, do you know if there are any fics in the index which feature Wedge or the other Rogues prior to the Battle of Yavin?

8. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_thinking]

Very interesting challenge.

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Most inspiring. Well done.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    brodiew - Feel free to take a stab at it! We're looking forward to the responses. As for that particular timeframe for a fic, I'm not sure but I will scour the index later to try and find something that fits the bill.

Oh, and welcome to the DT Index :)

Glad you all like the challenge! I'll have my own entry for submission a little later.

And now, as promised...

October 2010 Featured Fics

Featured Longfic

Detour: An Ace Squadron Story by InyriForge

Summary: After retreating from Generis, Pash Cracken's Ace Squadron is forced to take a short detour to an independent world for repairs. When the squadron receives a strange message after landing on world, the repairs turn out to be the least of their problems.
    Timeframe: During "The Last Command", between the fall of the Outer Rim com center on Generis and the Bilbringi briefing attended by Pash and Wedge
    Characters: Pash Cracken, Original Characters
    Genre: Action/Adventure

Featured Shortfic #1 (10/1 to 10/16)

We Happy Few by frodogenic1

Summary: Wedge reflects on the memories of friends lost but realizes there are still kinships to be forged.
    Timeframe: Just after the Battle of Yavin
    Characters: Luke Skywalker, Wedge Antilles
    Genre: Nostalgia, angst
    Notes: So I was trying to write something for Valentine?s Day, since it appears that's what we fan fic authors do, but it morphed into this oneshot that has nothing to do with Valentine?s Day. It?s set a couple of days after the Battle of Yavin. The title is courtesy of Shakespeare. I can?t recall which play the quote comes from, but it goes something like this: ?We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...?

I've read both of these fics and they're really well done. We Happy Few is one of my all-time favorite vignettes and, as I mentioned before, Detour features one of the best ensemble casts you're ever going to see.

Since both of these fic's threads appear to be locked, please leave your comments about them in this thread! If these authors are still bouncing around, I'm sure they will greatly appreciate your feedback :)

11. Lady_Jedi93

Lady_Jedi93 Jedi Knight star 4

May 11, 2010
    I love pilot fanfic and always had trouble finding it. Now it's in one spot and I'm in heaven. :D

12. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Damn, I have an idea for that challenge but no time and no wits left to write. Job's a full-blown Huttling ATM since I've got to fill in for ill colleagues annoyingly regularly. [face_frustrated]

BTW Lane ... What exactly counts as Pilot Fic?

13. Albaholly

Sep 10, 2010
    I think it is basically anything with a starfighter pilot in it.

I would have a go...but I have my gf here aand she is pretty demanding over where my attention stays.

14. Pilot_Fic_Index

Pilot_Fic_Index Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2005
    One new fic by earlybird-obi-wan added to the index!

15. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Lady_Jedi93 - Glad we can help out! There are some real gems in the index so please feel free to check them out :)

Also, if you're up to it there are a set of questions for new folks on the first page if you're interested in introducing yourself to the rest of the DT community!

-thor- I hear you on the time thing. I've got a brand new long-fic all outlined out and no time to write it because of school and work :oops:

As for what counts as Pilot Fic, pretty much any fic that centers around one of the established canon pilots. Original characters are cool as well, so long as it's clear that they are pilots.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a squad-based fic, but just as long as you've got some kind of a pilot taking a protagonist role you're good. Your new Donoslane fic would actually fit the bill if you want to submit that to the index :D

REMINDER!

If you've got the time, please check out October's featured fics (highlighted and linked to on the first page of the index). Since the threads for those fics are closed, please leave any comments you might have here in the index. I know both frodogenic and InyriForge are bouncing around and would love to hear your feedback :)

16. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Was just wondering, Lane. Simply because you listed some of my older fics while the relatively new "Reevaluation" and "Putting down roots" (of course featuring Myn and Kirney) aren't there. Check my user profile for the links (and my sig for the latest installment ;)).

17. Albaholly

Sep 10, 2010
    Unfortunately this isn't a definitive list yet. Unless either of the organisers have come across a fic or have had it mentioned to them it won't go up on here. So if you know of any pilot/squadfics then PM one of them so it can go up and I can read it :D

18. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Yup, pretty much what Alba said. We're still adding fics to the index so any time you've got one or you've spotted one you don't think has been added in yet, feel free to PM the pilot_fic_index sock with a link and info about said fic.

Soon as I have a minute I'll go ahead and add the fics in your profile in :D

19. Albaholly

Sep 10, 2010
    Just finished reading the first two recommendations. I did like the Detour fic by inyriforge. I like the idea of a sniper rifle that is only the size of a pistol. Tbh, I have never seen why SW sniper rifles are so big. The point of the long barrel with projectile weapons is to add extra revolutions and hence, extra accuracy to the bullet...Lasers travel in straight lines anyway, so the extra barrel length shouldn't be needed.

20. Pilot_Fic_Index

Pilot_Fic_Index Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2005
    Two fics by -thor- added to the index!

Refer to the 8th post on the first page to see those and other fics added over the last thirty days.

21. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005

Just read frodogenic's "We Happy Few." Wow! Very nicely done with gentle characterizations and quiet reflections.

It got me to thinking...why was Luke named leader of Rogue squadron and not Wedge? Wedge had more experience. Was if because Luke shot down the Death Star? Is there any profic that covers this?

**edited*** Halloween icons are up and look!!! they have a pumpkin X-wing!!!! :D

22. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I imagine his one in a million shot had something to do with, but I also suspect the fact that he was a budding Jedi might also have been a factor. He did also have an in with the Princess. Not sure whethere that was a factor or not.

I'm not sure about the profic angle.

23. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Jade_Pilot - I absolutely adored the characterizations in "We Happy Few." One of my favorite character introspective pieces.

Now, That's actually a really good question. Such a good question that I think we should make that Discussion Topic #4!

Discussion Topic #4: The First Rogue Leader

Jade_Pilot brought up an interesting question:

It's a simple question, but one that opens the door to all sorts of discussions. Why was Luke named the first Rogue Leader over fellow Red Squadron survivor Wedge?

24. What do you think was the Rebellion's reasoning for this? Was it based on ability or was it an attempt to create propaganda? Something in between?

25. Do you think there was any initial animosity between Wedge and Luke after the choice had been made?

26. If you were Carlist Rieekan or Arhul Narra, would you have made the same decision, or would you have named Wedge (or someone else) to be Rogue Leader?

28. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    # What do you think was the Rebellion's reasoning for this? Was it based on ability or was it an attempt to create propaganda? Something in between?--I would assume that it was a combination of factors, such as his role in Yavin, a character recommendation from Princess Leia, perhaps Wedge had some hand in it. It says in Solo Command that certain pilots understood that while they were good officers, they were not prepared for command. Maybe that had something to do with it, especially if Wedge felt that Luke had accomplished what he could not at that particular battle.

# Do you think there was any initial animosity between Wedge and Luke after the choice had been made? I think it definitely depends on the circumstances, but Wedge runs his squadrons as a meritocracy, so if he thought Luke was better suited, he probably would not hold it against him.

# If you were Carlist Rieekan or Arhul Narra, would you have made the same decision, or would you have named Wedge (or someone else) to be Rogue Leader? I would have left someone with more history in the Alliance in charge.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  29. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    frodogenic's We happy few was very touching and a great read.

InyriForge's Detour perfect and full of action and well written characters.

Both fics give more depth to the pilots who were essential for the victory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.