main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

-<<The Downtime Pilots Lounge>>- A Place for Writers of Rogue/Wraith/Other Squadrons.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JansonYellowAces, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasa_Solo

Jasa_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2003
    Ok, I suppose that sounds right.

and Hobbie REALLY DOES look dour :p

2. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    You try contemplating going up against an Impstar with only two snubfighters and see how chipper you are :p

3. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Hobbie is totally my next monologue. :p

4. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    I suddenly feel very lost...

This is what I get for not being around. I have no idea what is going on in the conversation and what Hobbie has to do with anything. :p

5. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002

I suddenly feel very lost...

I'm not alone? :p

This is what I get for not being around. I have no idea what is going on in the conversation and what Hobbie has to do with anything. :p

I'm confused as well. Hold on... ah. Now I understand. We started with a question: 'What was Wes' flight number at Hoth?' We then got on to other pilots and someone said that Hobbie was 'the one in the hangar wearing the skull-cap'. Jasa then noted that Hobbie looks very dour, which led on to Lank and DoY's comments.

Any clearer? :)

6. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    Yes, much. Thanks.

~Inyri

7. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
  8. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Hobbie's a pilot. He has everything to do with anything. :p

9. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    *delurks*

Yeah, I don't usually post around here and I haven't read the whole thread but I saw this and had to respond . . .

Re: what happens to Asyr . . . I had quite a few ideas about writing a fic focusing on her. I actually had the first chapter or so lined out - but I seriously don't have enough confidence for fanfic. I love reading fan fiction and that's why I'm here, but I play in my own world (original fiction) and I'm having a really hard time reconciling myself to someone else's world. Any tips? ?[face_plain]

Haha it's probably just me . . .

Anyway, if anyone's interested in writing a story like that, I could dig out my notes and give you a few plot bunnies to work with . . .

10. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Its all my fault Inyri.
    I asked the question, then said Hobbie lookes Dour.

Hmmm, now I gotta do a Viggie on Hobbie and what he was thinking there.

11. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    It's been so quiet here lately. Are there any potential discussion topics floating around?

-Katie
    Thumper

12. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    OK, i have a question - does anyone know the name of the pilot that flew his A-wing into the bridge of theexecutor? Does he even have one?

And what was the 'colour' designation of the A-wings at the battle of endor?

(as a secondary, off topic question - is it pronounced "ex-ec-utor" as in the executor of a will, etc. - was pronounced this way in X-wing Alliance or "Ex-e-cutor" as in, someone who executes people? I've always pronounced it this way, seeing as how it's much cooler.)

13. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Ive always thought it was the killer kind, but never heard it called that in games and such

I think its Executor like the hangman, just fits.

14. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    I did a vignette on that A-wing pilot recently, so I had just done the research. According to the Behind the Magic CD guide to Star Wars, his name is Arvel Crynyd and his designation is Green Leader. (I cross-referenced this in the Unofficial Encyclopedia, and it checks out).

Oh, I always pronounced Executor "Executor." But that might just be me. :)

15. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    What Zaara said. Hey, wasn't that the guy who flew into the Executor and crippled it. Didn't he have an ISD named after him?

16. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Yes, the Crynyd was featured (and I believe destroyed) in one of the Dark Empire comics, if I remember correctly.

17. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Hi, everyone. I'm looking for information on the battle at Derra IV, but it seems to be...lacking. Basically, here's what I know so far:

* It takes place not long before the Battle of Hoth.
    * Commander Narra, Renegade Flight, and all of the Rebels there were killed.
    * Baron Fel fought in the battle.
    * The ambush was masterminded by Thrawn.

With the exception of the Making of Baron Fel Rogue Squadron comic book, all I've found are little blurbs on it here and there. Does anyone have more information or know of a website that tells more about the battle?

Thanks!

-Thumper

18. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    As far as I remember from bits and pieces, the Battle of Derra IV occured somewhat more than two years after Yavin when Imperial units, including the 181st, ambushed a large Rebel supply convoy guarded by Commander Narra and the Renegades - not sure if other fighter units or Rebel capital ships were present, if so it wouldn't have been anything larger than a Nebulon-B frigate. It was really a massacre, Kirtan Loor later admonishes General Derricote for boasting of his participation because the convoy was essentially defenseless before them and offered no real opposition. The Rebels remembered the battle because they lost a lot of supplies (one reason they were desperate enough to settle on Hoth) and a lot of soldiers and pilots; the Empire remembers it because they really struck a painful blow on the Rebels.

19. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    I'm afraid I don't know much about that particular battle. I don't remember coming across it except in passing.

I have another request to make - would anyone be interested in beta-reading a short series of Myn Donos vignettes? You can find them here. PM or e-mail me if you're interested. Thanks in advance if you can spare a few minutes to look them over. :)

20. DCWiz00

DCWiz00 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    About the Executor...I read somewhere on "ask the Jedi Council" from the Official Star Wars website about that. They said the the name is pronounced ex-ec-utor as in executive.

It's been awhile since I saw it but it's supposed to mean something like this...

it is an extension of Darth Vader's power, therefore being and extension of his executive will.

Someone who executes someone would be an executioner.

Hope that helps.

21. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    No go here, either Thumper. :(

Derra IV seems to be one of those things about SW that are "just there" but noone knows any details.

BTW - new Wraith story up. See my signature [face_whistling]

22. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    All right, thanks, everyone! :)

-Thumper

23. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Hello! I have another question for everyone (because I'm pesky that way :p ).

I've briefly discussed a theory with Xaara about Wraith characterizations, and I'd like to open it up for discussion here since there are a fair number of authors who write about the Wraiths. This is a hard idea to try to get across, so please bear with me as I stumble through this.

Some of the Wraiths seem to have aspects of their personalities that are symbolic of some aspect of their dominant "ground" skill. This is more than a simple case of "a person who works as a clown has to be funny." There, the job itself is more of a reflection of the person's personality, and the occupation would cause someone with that trait to be drawn to it. What I'm thinking of with the Wraiths is almost the opposite, where the job or skill is independent of their personality but may parallel it or have a commonality. In plain(er) English, an aspect of their job or specialized skill is like an aspect of their personality, and the job does not require that particular personality trait for the person to be successful at it. That's what I'm looking at here.

Now, if that feeble attempt at an explanation made absolutely no sense, put it completely out of your mind, and I'll use an example instead. I think Donos is the best example, and he's the one I first spotted this with. Donos is the squadron's sniper. As a sniper, he sometimes has to work at great distances from everyone else. As for his personality, he's emotionally very distant from his squadmates, particularly in the beginning of the series. There are parallels of "being at a distance" in each. Now, there's nothing saying that a sniper has to be emotionally detached from other people to perform his job, which goes back to what I said previously in the paragraph you've all purged from your minds?-this personality trait is not a function of his job or a requirement, but his job serves to highlight it and shows a parallel between the job and him.

Was that clear as mud? :p I'll offer Kell as another example. He's the explosives expert in the squadron. At the beginning of the Wraith books, he's also essentially a ticking emotional time bomb around Janson and whenever he's put in charge of something.

Xaara, would you like to post your contributions to the theory? Or would you mind if I copy/paste them?

So what do you all think? Is there some hidden key there that could tell us more about these characters? Am I reading too much into something? ("The fish in The Old Man and the Sea was a symbol for integrity." <-- actual high school English paper of mine.) Offer your thoughts, whatever they may be, even if it's simply to say that this post made your head hurt and was completely incomprehensible. I promise I won't bite. :)

-Thumper

24. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    Hey thumper.

I understand exactly what you're talking about, and i'm not quite sure whether you're reading too much into it or not. In my opinion, the traits that those wraiths have do have something to do with their skills on the ground - but in a more generic way.

I think those two examples have good merit, but there might be a few reasons for that.

It's a bit of a cliched characteristic of the sniper to be distant from people, emotionally detached (no matter who realisitic this is, it can still be a cliche). Think "The Jackal", or "Enemy at the Gates", and you see exactly the same thing. Ed Harris, Jude Law, Bruce Willis - all ice cold killers. Maybe Donos' character is less a conscious decision on Allston's part as a result of what your typical sniper actually is.

As for Kell, it could be argued that he was anything but explosive in the first few books - in fact, he was externally rather introverted and seized up at the thought of real combat. It was more the perceptions of others that gave him the 'time bomb' label.

However, your arguments make good sense - authors love to parallel things like that. The Donos argument is especially truthful.

I think it'd be worth hearing any theories about the other wraiths to try and prove this one. The others get quite difficult - actually, some of them you couldn't even credit as having an official speciality. Like Face. He's good at dressing up, but he's not squad stylist. If that makes sense.

So yeah...anybody have any clues about the rest of them?

25. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    I have a few ideas that I discussed with Thumper, but I don't have the time to share them right at the moment. I'll be back later today to write something more coherent and in-depth. It's really interesting to see what other people think about the theory.

In the meantime, Thumper, you can feel free to copy and paste anything I've sent you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.