main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT "The Dragon of Dagobah" (Clone Wars short story, OCs) COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kurisan, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Okay, I still need to go through about 1/3 of the first story and whole of the second, but...if we're to use that analogy about swallowing grapes, oranges and watermelons, I still don't want to end up swallowing a watermelon. I hope that I can follow this without having completed the other two. [face_blush]

Blanco is a great pilot - seriously, that move was nuts - and Maya is a great shooter. And hmmm, was Dagobah erased from the maps like that certain other planet? Intriguing. AND I HOPE THAT THIS IS NOT A SIMULATION. Fool me once...

P.S. Is that Thuy Trang as Maya's face claim, or do I really, really have problem recognising faces?

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Sounds like a great start! I like the way you write - the ruby lasers, the vulture droid disappearing into a blossom of fire. Nice touches.

I'm looking forward to learning what they find down there. Dagobah hides its secrets!

Kurisan and Findswoman like this.
  4. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yay, new Kurisan story! :D

So now we see Maya working together with the clone troopers that she first met in Episode II, and given that she wasn't so sure about some of them at first it's good to see that things are harmonious now. Though Blanco strikes me as a bit of a loose cannon; that was a scary few moments there at the start, and I fear that that sort of thing is not the best thing to have happen on important missions to uncharted worlds. (Blanco seems like a bit of a smartmouth too; is that "Fox" bit addressed to Maya? Though I seem to remember there being a clone named that too, perhaps in one of those Karen Traviss books...)

And yes, I too am curious why Dagobah isn't in the records, given that "if something isn't in the Jedi archives, it doesn't exist" (to paraphrase a different Nu). [face_thinking] I like the way Maya relates it back to the similar situation with Kamino; of course the movies never do touch on how the Kaminoans or clones feel about their planet being treated as nonexistent, so it's neat that you raise that issue here.

Looking forward to finding out what Maya and co. will find on Dagobah, and how similar or different it will be from the Dagobah we know and love from Empire. :D

AzureAngel2, Kurisan and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg.

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, yep, that Blanco is showing definite signs of loose cannonism. :rolleyes: So "Fox" is indeed Maya—doesn't sound at all like the sort of thing that's appropriate to call one's commander. (The flirtatious undertones, for one thing... is he trying to say she's a "foxy lady" or some such? I don't know, that doesn't sound good... [face_worried]) And I see that's not the only area in which Maya and her team of troopers still have wrinkles to work out in their working relationship. It still seems like the troopers really don't totally want to treat her like an authority—they consider her to still be a little padawan who needs their protection, and they don't bother to consult her when discussing matters like searches. (Of course the other side of that coin is—and I may have said this in another story of yours—the whole business of making even padawans generals in the Clone Wars always did seem a little... much.) Naturally I'm raring to see what they'll find on their search, though I also will be curious to see how what they find will help improve or worsen their working relationship with each other.

I know you've said before you tend to minimize descriptions and focus on action, but I have to say I really love your description of the Dagobah landscape here, from the gnarltrees to the animal noises to the stench and humidity of the bog. :cool:

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Chapter 2

Foxy lady was my guess, too. There is a lot of room to improve in this, err, rapport and not much seems to be pointing in that direction.

Dagobah is so...sensory! I loved the description. And the whole landing scene reminded me a lot of Luke's own, years later. History repeating, perhaps? Also, hmmm...if this story is somehow connected with Yoda's eventual decision to go into exile here, that will be interesting!

Chapter 3

Blanco looks like one of those emo boys. :p He only needs to comb his hair in a certain way, and voila! Is that to hide his behaviour of the kind of a dude who would typically be seen with a fedora? :p

I kind of want him to end up needing Maya's protection, yep yep yep!

Wait, why did this remind me of dinos?

9. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    A story about how Dagobah vanished from the archives. With one of my favourite padawans in it. Cool! =D=

Kurisan likes this.
  10. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

11. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ah ha! So this whole tension between Maya and her troopers does indeed relate to both the nickname business and the issue of padawans as commanders. The concept of earned team names makes sense among the clones, given their situation, and it would also make sense that the clones (and especially a flyboy like Blanco) would be unaware that the outside world (i.e., the non-clone world) does not assign names that way. I'm relieved that the nickname "fox" was just meant to reflect stealth and cunning—or is that Marker being diplomatic? Hard to say, and I certainly don't blame Maya for feeling funny about being called that. And as for Marker himself, he's always seemed like the most mild-mannered and reasonable member of the group, so it's not surprising to see him being the one making the effort toward restoring the rapport. I really appreciate that he's being patient and forbearing with Maya's mistakes (this is her first time in this sort of position, after all) and that he's not taking the hard-nosed-soldier-you-only-get-one-chance approach with her (the way Flint, for example, might—though now we know where that is coming from).

Now this line of beacons is definitely intriguing. I certainly wonder what that could be all about, and I hope Maya and co. will be able to follow them to their source in time! Clock's ticking...

12. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Kurisan - Another excellent start. :) I've been rereading Karin Traviss' Republic Commando works lately, and this has the same feel as her better chapters (I, personally, don't agree with her on some elements of the Jedi, but that's a story for another thread ...).

Anyhow. Findswoman's already covered most of the points I would've, so I'll just say, keep them coming, please. :D

13. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Wow, this is chilling.

I can see some undertones here that may not be obvious at first, heck, they might not have been obvious to your mind when writing, because some things come naturally. There is a huge gap between people who are voluntarily subjected to control - here we have Maya as a Jedi Padawan and those who were born to be controlled - the Clones themselves. And that just gave this story amazing depth that the first and the second did not have, thus forming a proper trilogy, where the third part has everything that the first two don't. Very, very Star Wars in terms of structure.

The moment when Maya gets to see the face behind the helmet and when she has to see what this man sees...just wow, wow, WOW.

15. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg.​

16. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Kurisan - Another great chapter, and a much-needed bit of bonding between clones and Maya. =D=

Interesting, though, that Dagobah itself seems ... tainted? Methinks someone's playing around with the Force where they shouldn't be ... o_O

17. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Chyntuck, AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    At this point, I beg you: please, slow down, at least give us 4 days. I cannot keep up with this and I don't want this story to be left behind for latter commenting like the other two were. I don't want to leave half-a55ed comments and skim, this is good stuff when one reads it slower etc etc. [face_blush]

Chapter 5

Ouch! For a moment, I thought that Blanco really was a goner! And then came the surprise - not only that Maya has one of my favourite Force powers, animal friendship, but also...for her, the Clones are not a buffer type of a thing or cannon fodder. Their lives matter to her and yes, she will save them - whether that is expected of a Jedi-to-be or not.

And the fact that Flint does not understand that is the most interesting thing here - is that because he's programmed or because it's in his actual upbringing or, well, "upbriging" to think he and Blanco *are* cannon fodder.

Is this what I was supposed to notice, btw? :)

Another thing here, in relation to @Onderon1's comment, is that Maya's powers are pretty darn good if she's overpowering what's playing with the Force. Unless...she was sent here as some sort of a last temptation type of a thing OR her trial proper! The third option is that something is letting her win in order to win her over to the dark side.

Chapter 6

It takes only three hours to walk eight kilometres through the swamp? Is Maya carrying the clones between her teeth or is there a vehicle that I didn't see?

And, wait, wait...the dark side cave is submerged. This is like one of those water levels in games, and yes, I know I mention games all the time. Wooooooow, trippy, trippy!

Oh...battle droids...the level bosses...not sure if that means my chapter 5 theories are useless.

19. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    If that's of any comfort - I don't have an extremely strong literary background (Finds does), I just recognise patterns in things all the time and sometimes it's basically a thing of unconsciousness at work. I am also an empath, so I kind of see what the characters see, unless there's nobody in the story who's the kind of a character through whose eyes - or a visor (did not notice that exact sentence because it's *normal* in my mind - I kid you not!) I can look at things. :)

And you're welcome to revenge me and spoiler my stuff, too. Maybe you'll find out that I am even more unkeep-up-with-able. Wow, a new word that is not really a word.

#caffeine

21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ooh, yoicks, catch-up time! :eek: But first I'll say that I promise that the Mists have not given me any kind of access to your story-planning notes—really, they haven't! If my guesses are turning out right, it's mainly just by chance, because Ewok Poet can tell you that I've guessed lots of things wrong about her stories and other people's. :p And don't worry, you have indeed surprised me plenty of times—the simulator business at the beginning of The Clones of Kamino was a huge surprise to me, for example, and I'm sure there will be more to come the way things are going in this story! :)

So now...

5: I was seriously worried about Blanco for a moment there. He may be a flyboy and blowhard, but he sure doesn't deserve to be gobbled alive by mysterious swamp monsters! Of course, that's an attitude that we nonclones take for granted—but to people like Flint who are accustomed (!) to being treated as expendable, cannon-fodder "redshirts" day in and day out (and he's got that added experience with Padawan Tarol on top of that), it's not at all a given that all team members would be considered equally worthwhile and equally worth saving. This chapter clearly shows us what happens when those two very different ethics rub up against each other (which the films should have shown but didn't)—rub they definitely do, but it works out in the end and they reach a mutual understanding. I do hope, though, that Marker won't get taken to task by Flint for "blabbing" about Flint's past! [face_nail_biting] And I'm taking note of the fact that Maya isn't the only one sensing the darkness of the place—her (presumably) non-Force-sensitive companions are too, and that seems very significant. [face_thinking]

6: And at last they make it to the strange humpbacked mountain, and I love that the first thing they do is come up with a plan for how to get all of them there, utilizing the skills and strengths of each person. Flint and co. are definitely starting to pick up on this whole "all team members are equally valued" ethos! And Mr. Flyboy Blanco is back to his usual snarky self, which is good to see. It's a bit concerning that he's pushing himself so hard with his injury and not admitting that he's still in pain, though that's true to his personality too, in a way. You spoke of surprises, and I have to say that I, like EP, was a bit surprised to see battle droids here—I had kind of expected that they'd meet a more "Force and sorcery"-type of mischief under this mysterious mountain, but that's no doubt lurking too (they're not mutually exclusive, after all!). Some quick thinking and action will be required, but this bunch is good at that! :D

Kurisan, AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Oh, ack ... B-2 battle droids. :( The actually dangerous kind (or, at least, more dangerous and less comedic than the B-1s ... :p

But yes, Maya and Co. had best watch themselves. This is about to get messy. [face_worried]

23. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for the thrilling battle sequences and all the deeper Jedi philosophy behind it all. ^:)^

Kurisan likes this.
  24. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg.​

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.