main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO The DragonCon 2006 Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Dagobah_Diva, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    I just ordered my membership for DragonCon! I'm already about to die from anticipation. So I thought I'd start a thread so we can talk about it all the time.[face_laugh] There are a lot of plans to be made!

2. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Well, I sure just took the plunge! I got in under the wire and bought two passes, for my Mom and I.
    Bye-bye money. I shall be seeing much more of you away as this develops further.
    *sniff*.

So...what're folks doing for transportation? It's always tricky, if for nothing more than costume/prop transportation.

3. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I got my confirmation yesterday! I think there are several of us (Amy, Leash(maybe) and I) that are planning on driving up that Thursday. But I think we are already strapped for space, since we are hauling some stuff for Dajuan also... we could always caravan. :D

4. Dagobah_Diva

Sep 24, 2002
    I might drive my own car behind you since I can't travel unless I'm the one doing the driving...I'd go insane. We can figure that out later though. If we can fit into one car, it'd be silly to bring two.

Are we staying at the Marquis?

5. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I'm going if I have to sell my children. LOL! [face_devil]

I am asking for a Dragon Con ticket for my birthday. I better get it! :D

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Tickets bought, hotels booked, flights booked as well. I am good to go! If Christina doesn't mind bringing a few things for me as she mentioned I am good to go, and if she does mind well :p on her :D

7. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    And here I thought we had this figured out already. :p

8. Dagobah_Diva

Sep 24, 2002
    LOL! By that time of the evening my recollection skills were pretty much gone. I thought we decided that all the beer and such were going to have to ride with someone too.[face_laugh]

9. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Amy, how much beer are you bringing anyway? LOL!

What costumes is everyone wearing or planning on wearing? And please no hooker costumes. After looking at all the pictures from last year, I thought I was looking at a stripper convention. I have nothing wrong with dressing a little sexy, but these girls left nothing to the imagination. LOL!
    Should we try a group theme one day? Besides SW that is.

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Actually I'm not doing any SW this con. I have two or three days of BSG and one CanCan girl. Need to think of one other costume or double one up. There's a Moulin Rouge day where everyone wears their stuff.

11. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    That's cool Dajuan! I want to try and redo my Shaak Ti definitely. I don't have SciFi, so I don't get to watch BSG. Your Can Can outfit sounds cute, but I don't think I could get away with that. Though I have seen girls bigger than me wearing clothes they shouldn't. LOL!

I want to do either a Cheongsam (Oriental style dress)
    http://www.ancientmoods.com/customer/product.php?productid=596&cat=339&page=1

or a 1940's swing style dress in SW sheets. I have seen some cool outfits similiar things and thought that it would be fun.

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Leash that's the beauty of Can Can girls everyone can wear one and look good!

13. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002

Where do I mail the check?

14. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    Hey, who are you callin' a hooker. :p

15. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    So wait, is every costume Laura wears a hooker costume? :p

16. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    You know what would be cool? A Twi'lek hooker costume.

17. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    LOL! Let me clear up what I meant. I meant, I am not going to be wearing an outfit with my butt hanging out or something that leaves little to the imagination. I realize that some outfits, including Superheroes, Comic book, Anime and even Moulin Rouge can be quite sexy. But, they are costumes, not just some outfit that your butt hangs out of. LOL! That is the difference! If you're going to wear an outfit that your butt hangs out of at least be creative and put some effort into it and make a costume. :D But, that is just my opinion and in no way that right or wrong one. LOL!

18. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I'll be going as well, my little group is staying at the Marriott, where sanity and elevators are readily available.

As for can can outfits, it's all a state of mind. :cool: Ironically Can Can?s are much more covering than most outfits people wear considering that the skirt is at least knee length (generally longer) and the bodices/corsets are 'full coverage'. They can of course be made super trashy, but most people that are drawn to them are fabric fiends so we're all about showing off the fabric. :D As a large gal I'm all about looking sexy without looking nauseating, so I assure you that anyone can do a can can without looking ridiculous. Pictures (of various glorious outfits) available by request, lol.

~H~

19. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Darthjurist, I would love to see pics! Dajuan has had to remind me on more than one occasion not to let my size mess with what costume I want to do. It will sink in eventually! LOL!

20. Dagobah_Diva

Sep 24, 2002
    This could be my excuse to wear a WonderWoman costume! That lasso of truth could come in handy at some of the parties.[face_laugh]

I was actually thinking of doing something along the lines of elvish. I'll probably only have time to do one costume since I have that whole lack of motivation thing.;)

21. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    I found the can-can dress I am going to make. Here, it is the blue one. :D

22. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Yea! for Can Can dresses!

That pattern will work very well to make a can can outfit, and can be used as a starting point if you want/need to crank it up a level.

If anyone wants to get crazy detailed about doing custom can can's - or just wants a place to ask questions, I encourage you to join and post at the below forum.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/diamonddogs

It's kind of quite these days, but if you poke around you'll find lots of good information, and if you post you'll eventually get help from some awsome women. You'll probably also recognize a lot of screen names. :cool:

~H~

23. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Christina, that is beautiful! Does it have a piece for the ruffles? That is my main concern. I am worried about making the skirt with the ruffles. Ugh! [face_worried]

DarthJurist,
    I joined a couple of days ago, screen name: lucky13mom. Everyone has been so nice and there are quite a few tips and if you ask a question, you get an educated answer. :)

24. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Thanks DarthJurist, I will head over there when I get back.

Leash, it does have the pattern for the ruffles, I picked it up at Hancocks, on their sale for McCall patterns (which ends today).

25. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm going to pick one up too, for the ruffles and skirt if nothing else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.