main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The DREADED Politics Thread: (Political Opinion - Enter at your own Peril)

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    I think that no matter what your views, you need to be respectful of the leaders. You may not agree with them, and may even think they are idiots, but that doesn't mean you have to go beserk and attack them. Unless you're gunning for the position of 'next uber-crazy psycho'.... [face_thinking]

2. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
  3. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    actually i have been reading from the beginning try again.

4. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    Nigel, buddy, there is a nice way of saying your opinion and still respecting other people?s views.
    Please be respectful.
    [/quote]

Courtney, darling, what opinion? Those were facts. As in, they happened, black and white. No grey about it. Not sure how to disrespectfully state history. It is what it is.

5. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003

Umm, No. I do not have to respect anyone I dont respect. Bush and company are a bunch of creeps who used the catch phrase of a national tragedy to scare themselves into a second term.

6. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    i will say this and i will be done and we do not need to belabor it further. I feel it doesn't matter what i say, that AR is going to persecute me for it. Not just here, but with any post. It gets old and ya know there is absolutely no sense in it. If I was the only one that felt that way, that would be one thing?but it isn?t. so just leave me alone and don?t respond to my post. in any thread...that will make things easier.

7. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Then either you're having amnesia, or your reading/comprehension is minimal. Now, see, that can be constituted as an attack were it not based on the fact of your neglect for the discussion that's occurred in this thread, the disclaimer at the beginning, and the fact that it's my opinion.

RDT, I'm waffling on whether or not you were trying to be funny. :p

8. RubberDuckTape

Oct 27, 2003
    I was thinking more along the lines of how you disagree with them. You can 'respectfully' disagree with someone and have an intelligent conversation about the differences, maybe coming up with a solution to a problem or a compromise, OR you can go off on them and anyone who might share some of the same opinions, never giving them a chance to explain and not even caring. Having experienced both of those, I prefer the first. :p (And considering that I doubt any of us would have a chance for a conversation with the President, I was talking more about the suporters. Unless you know someone who's getting a cabinet position.... [face_thinking] )

9. RubberDuckTape

Oct 27, 2003
    [face_whistling]

10. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Courtney, darling, what opinion? Those were facts. As in, they happened, black and white. No grey about it. Not sure how to disrespectfully state history. It is what it is.[/quote]

Ok, I REALLY was just being nice before. It is fine to have an opinion and that is what that is, yes you have thrown some history into but I'm sorry I even feel things in history are totally up to interpretation. One person can view something is history as a positive thing and others can view it as a negative thing. There are a lot of different opinions and I do think there is tactful way of approaching things, as to be respectful, as to not hurt people's feelings. I realize that the thread does say at your own peril but we are all friends and should respect and care about each other enough to care if we are offending each other. Like I said there is being tactful and just begin mean, somewhere you lost how to voice your opinion without attacking someone, and I view that as immature, and arrogant.

11. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    I haven't actually attacked you anywhere here, for anything (until just now, and that's my opinion based on fact), so your--and lets call it what it is--victim mentality that allows you to misconstrue impersonal statements as personal attacks is, um, well, wrong because I didn't actually say anything personally directed at you. You're making this about you, when I was making this about Bush and McCain.

You said, "Gee, I think McCain should help Bush leave the White House." I said, "With a boot to his backside." I chimed in with a quip. Nowhere did I say anything about you in that response. I didn't say, "By using MA as a footstool to push him over because she isn't good for anything else," now did I? And just because I use A QUOTE AS AN EXAMPLE DOES NOT MEAN I AM ATTACKING YOU. It is a quote. An example. A hypothetical. As in, I'm not actually saying it. Ya dig? Do. You. Understand? Comprende?

12. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    wow look how we were looking forward and trying to see what good could come out of this...was this two pages back?? how we were excited about change and coming together for one good? yeah that is awesome! [face_flag]

13. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003

Ummm. Im going to say this knowing fully its going to cause a problem and furthur a neurosis.

Drop your persecution complex already. He wasnt attacking you when he volunteered his veiw. You just made his comment all about you when it was about kicking bush right in his butt, not you.

14. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    i asked him to stop bashing republicans...and he went off. that is all.

it is about respect and some are lacking it..i think Catz said it best.

15. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Where did you ask me to stop bashing Republicans? Under what definition is stating the facts bashing? Open criticism of the government and stating the facts is NOT bashing. They did what they did. If they didn't want scrutiny, either we'd be living in a fascist dictatorship, or they wouldn't have done what they did. Since this ISN'T a fascist dictatorship and they DID what they did, then I'm the right to do what I did and you need to leave the thread if you don't like it. Because facts is facts, MA.

16. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Courtney and Melody Ann:

You are saying that the statement of facts of this Administration is attacking the Republican party. When did stating that the Nazis killed over six million Jews become an attack on Germany?
    You say it's disrespectful for me to state my opinion when I've stated facts. When did facts and opinions become confused? The Nazis did, in fact, kill over six million Jews. If you wish to contest this, I have some words for you. It is a fact, not my opinion.
    You say that stating facts about Republican policies and behavior is attacking the party. When did it become a crime to scrutinize and criticize our leaders? Without scrutiny and criticism, our society wouldn't be the great beacon of hope that it is in the world. We'd be living in a fascist dictatorship. If that's what you want, those countries are still out there. Just because you think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread doesn't mean that they are. They're not and our duty as American citizens is to sit up and take notice. All that it takes for evil to prevail in the world is for good men to stand by and do nothing.

If you or anyone else can't bear to hear the truth, don't read this thread. There's nothing keeping you here but yourself.

17. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    *Obligatory Mod Intervention*

I think both sides here could stand to be a little more respectful of the other and/or grow some thicker skin. If you personally hate republicans, great. But don't spam up this board with "OMG GEORGE BUSH IS TEH WURST PREZIDENT EFFAR AND THAT MEANS EVERY REPUBLICAN EFFAR IS EVIL" crap. If you don't like someone's opinion on something, great. But don't turn around and take what they're saying as a personal attack on YOU and YOUR beliefs. It's perfectly OK for people to believe differently than you do. That's one of the great things about this country, this group, and this message board.

If there is one thing I really wish people would express more of around here, it's tact. It's almost embarrassing to come in here sometimes and see people acting like 3rd graders because of a miscommunication or disagreement. Sure, we're all here to have fun and joke around with each other, but what does it say about yourself when you stoop to belittling your friends in the process? A lot.

I'll say one more thing here as well. This board is meant to be a positive environment for discussion for all people. If you can't find it in yourself to respect your peers, even while discussing things that might not be so positive, it's up to the people with the fancy colors to take action. And you all know that we will. So let's try to keep the peace in here, shall we? [face_peace]

18. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    I will make this very clear right up front, this is an observation and not judgement, everyone here is my friend no matter what party affiliation so DON'T GO THERE. [face_peace]

1. Nigel has every right to express his opinion IN THIS THREAD because this is a edgier thread than most and it WARNS it in the title even if you don't agree with what he says or even how he says it. I have read this little episode from it's beginning and I don't think AR was referring to you Nnay in the slightest. He is a staunch " Liberal Commie Bastich" or words to that affect by his own admission and we all have seen it and should not be surprised, again, IN THIS THREAD. Ya know, the place of peril, like it says, right?

2. Nnay, I love ya Honey but I think you are taking Nigel's remarks too personal cuz I'm not seeing that in this discussion. Yeah, Nigel's got sharp remarks but he's passionate about how he feels and this thread is about expressing that unless he called you out directly and I don't see that here. Honestly.

3. Politics are rarely respectful unless your exercise respectfulness and Nnay, you have been very respectful amongst so many Obama supporters. =D= ... and a good sport but let Nigel's Bush Administration remarks roll off your back cuz even though you voted for him cuz you thought he would do the right thing, he let you down and that's no one's fault but Mr. Bush. IMO

... and I could absolutely KISS YOU for voting for a better America or at least I hope so but time will tell.

AND NOW FOR SOME DEMOCRAT BASHING!!!

Pelosi and Reid need to take a hike!!! IMO [face_flag]

19. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    Pelosi is a nut job.She should be gone. He actions will only hurt the Democrats in the long run. Reid can be good but he has got bitten by the insane liberal bug.

20. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    I've been ambivalent about Reid (he could take a hike and no one would notice), but I had thought Pelosi was a force for good in this country. She should be keeping quiet now, though, that the President-Elect is of her party. Must be force of habit after all those years of fighting Bush tooth and nail. :rolleyes:

I quote Wiki. :-B

"When the Speaker and the President belong to the same party, the Speaker normally plays a less prominent role as the leader of the majority party.?For example, Speaker Dennis Hastert played a very low-key role during the presidency of fellow Republican George W. Bush. On the other hand, when the Speaker and the President belong to opposite parties, the public role and influence of the Speaker tend to increase. The Speaker is the highest-ranking member of the opposition party and is normally the chief public opponent of the President's agenda. Recent examples include Tip O'Neill, who was a vocal opponent of President Ronald Reagan's domestic and defense policies; Newt Gingrich, who fought a bitter battle with President Bill Clinton for control of domestic policy; and Nancy Pelosi, who has clashed with George W. Bush over domestic policy and the Iraq War."

21. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I apologize...i should have said.

AR keeping peace with all of us looking forward to the future...could you be please be a little more tactful how you discuss republicans...we are all individuals and deserve the same respect I have shown everyone else and their beliefs.

I apologize and admit my fault in this situation.

EDIT Ben and Cory I appreciate your post and i am glad that we have some people that show respect on the boards..i just wanted to acknowledge that. :) i think i spelled everything right. hehe

22. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I have been thinking, maybe i have taken personally because of AR's actions in the past. perhaps that is not what he was doing this time...and i should not take it so personally. so thanks again.

edit...

however that does not excuse disrespecting someone regardless.

23. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    [removed]

>>That isn't even remotely appropriate...

24. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005

I agree and now that I considered it more, there really is no need for condescending remarks made by anyone but informative remarks are gladly welcome. :D

Very Commendable Nnay, everyone could take a lesson from you here.

25. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    cory...i heart you![face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.