main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The DREADED Politics Thread: (Political Opinion - Enter at your own Peril)

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002

This is where I point out that the members of the winning party were all cheers and good will to the losing party. The losing party booed the candidate of the winning party at the concession speech.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled broadcast. That is all.

2. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000

And you're telling me that had McCain won, you woudn't have heard boos or worse from the crowd at Obama's concression speech. Please. :rolleyes: You know they would have. [face_plain] Just because a few people boo'd doesn't mean a bloody thing. Things have been civil (well, in most places at any rate), and that's a good thing. It proves that so far, we are having a peaceful transition of power from one party to another. That's the way it should work. :)

The simple fact is that Obama won, and the dems as a party did get additional seats in the house and senate. Considering how poorly Bush & company have done over the last 8 years, and add the financial crisis, AND how poorly McCain ran his campaign, I'm surprised the dems didn't gain more ground. Naturally, I'm happy they didn't, but that's me. ;) :*

It is painfully clear that there are two extremely diametrically opposed camps in this country. Pick a topic, and it is polarizing: Roe V Wade, gun control, foreign policy, the environment, gay marriage, whatever --this country is split in two, almost but not quite 50/50. Either people learn to start living with eachother, relatively peacefully, or this country will rip itself apart. [face_beatup]

In the same fashion, this group could rip itself apart --if things get much more out of hand, and words fly any faster and more furious than they already have.[face_beatup]

I would highly encourage folks to calm down a bit. Dems, enjoy your victory --Obama won, and you gained seats. Good on you. [:D] Bush is on his way out, and I won't shed too many tears on that, either. But please, keep things civil, and remember that we all should be, were, and are friends with a communal love of Star Wars. [face_peace]

I may disagree with many of your personal politics, but I still care for you as friends and hope that eventually this crap will die down, and we can go about our usual zaniness. Because quite honestly, this has not been a very fun place the last few weeks and months. And that's sad, because I consider you my friends and family. We've been together as a group for about 8 years now, and it's sad to see the drama, bickering and attacks that are happening. Yes, the thread title warns that this is a minefield, and that thick skin is needed but those mines are having repercussions that are moving beyond the walls of this thread. :(

So, dems, celebrate your victory, enjoy it, and please don't cause too much trouble. ;) And please know that those of us who are Republicans (or Conservatives) are not Bush. We did not personally cause the holocaust, tap your phones or personally didn't take your rights away. Yes, Bush was a bad president, but his reign is coming to an end, and I expect you to celebrate in the same way I was when Clinton's terms came to an end. But try not to take your hatred of Bush & his policies out on your friends. :)

3. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002

Actually, I think had there been booing at Obama's rally, he would have addressed it. That sort of response isn't what he seems to be about. He came to speak on my campus earlier this year and responded to that very kind of attitude by asking for fairness from his audience.

The booing is fine. It's people expressing themselves. I'm just using it as an example of the varying attitudes of the two candidates.

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    So are you saying that McCain likes it when people boo Obama? o_O

5. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    [image=http://punditkitchen.wordpress.com/files/2008/11/political-pictures-madelyn-dunham-barack-obama-she-knows.jpg]

6. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    This thread used to be the last thread on this board with any kind of intelligent discussion in it.

Seriously, if people can't grow thicker skins and not freak out at the first sign of a controversial subject or different political view, they need to limit their responses to posting pictures of LOLcats.

7. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I like LOLCats. ;)

8. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    [image=http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/political-pictures-sarah-palin-mayans.jpg]

[image=http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/political-pictures-george-bush-farewell.jpg]

9. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
  10. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    [image=http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/political-pictures-once-again-mom.jpg]

11. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
  12. Jyn

Jyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2006
  13. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002

Fascinating...his views are so similar to my own. Interesting to read the comments at the end of the article. I dont get people.

14. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002

i agree with the praying thing...i am going to go read the end of the article...i got sidetracked.

Thanks Jyn i thought this was the Bash Palin thread for a bit. ;)

15. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Which praying thing? The article is 14 pages long. ;)

I printed it so I could read it again later.

16. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    let me get it for you....

17. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    *jeopardy music*

18. Jyn

Jyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2006
    lol his response to "Do you pray?" I believe is the one she's referring to

19. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    FALSANI:
    Do you pray often?

OBAMA:
    Uh, yeah, I guess I do.

Its' not formal, me getting on my knees. I think I have an ongoing conversation with God. I think throughout the day, I'm constantly asking myself questions about what I'm doing, why am I doing it.

20. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002

thats what I do...thats what I call "praying".

21. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Liked the article, and I too have a bunch of those same beliefs but parts of the article bothered me super bad. Kind of like the nick picking that goes on between posters here.

My thoughts:

Falsani is one of the most gifted interviews on matters of Faith

That's a pretty strong statement, IMO.
    Then she asks a question, that to me just doesn't sound like proper english

FALSANI:
    So you got yourself born again?
    :confused:

22. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    me too...i talk to God.

23. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002

I loved his response to that...I myself have always found the dogma of faith the most difficult part to swallow. Religion shouldnt have secret handshakes and gang signs, imo. :)

24. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002

I feel I have a constant dialog going on inside me with God...I think of it as the little piece of God that lives in me and listens to me whine. :D

25. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Your God must be patient :p j/k I had too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.