The DREADED Politics Thread: (Political Opinion - Enter at your own Peril)

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    CNN is reporting that Obama has offered the position of Secretary of State to Hillary Clinton. I think I like that. [face_thinking]

2. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6
    I KNEW that was going to happen...i said it 3 months ago to someone....
  3. SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR

star 7
    I'm not sure I like it, but, hey - What can I do?

After the GOP announced Palin as VP dh's mom said Biden would back out of the race & they would put Hillary on the tickets. I could see why, but I thought it was not likely, hence it was.

I don't know as much as I would like about Politics, I think after my car accident 18 years ago I think it knocked History & Social Science out of my brain :(

I'm always open to new ideas & opinions, I may even start to read up on some stuff. I would love to learn more.
  4. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    i like it because it alludes to Lincolns strategy of having a team of rivals be his advisors. It shows character and more importantly it shows that he is willing to listen to opinions that differ from his own. Why is this important? Because no one is infallible and for a president to admit that is profound. I think giving John McCain a position in the cabinet (Sec'y of Defense?) is truely putting his money where his mouth is and is absolutley something that lincoln might have done.
  5. ArchaicRebel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  6. SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR

star 7
    Let me clearify, I do like that he is putting people in w/ different views. I just don't like Hillary that much, I don't know why? May be her push for Social Medical a while back, I was/am really against that?

If $ can get me better care then I want that option, but as it is now I can't get good medical care so.....
  7. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5

Careful Kimmy, this stuff can make your head spin. [face_mischief]
  8. SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR

star 7
    Yes, I know, but I feel if more 'Joe & Josette 6 packs' knew about all the things that the politicians what & are doing we might not be in this mess.
  9. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
  10. ArchaicRebel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/political-pictures-sarah-palin-pouting.jpg]

[image=http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/political-pictures-barack-obama-obama.jpg]
  11. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
  12. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6
    something positive...

Obama was to have met with McCain yesterday on bringing parties together. I think that we have had enough of bickering and name calling. We need to work together to help our country...i think that goes on ALL levels.
  13. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6
    more POSITIVE stuff...

Obama-McCain Meeting Gets Media Praise

Coverage of yesterday's meeting between President-elect Barack Obama and his GOP opponent in the presidential race, Sen. John McCain, portrays their discussion as fruitful and indicative of a possible new era of cooperation in Washington, DC. The Chicago Tribune reports, "By meeting with McCain so quickly after the election, Obama demonstrated both magnanimity and practicality." Bloomberg News notes the meeting "was arranged" by Sen. Lindsey Graham and chief of staff Rahm Emanuel.

The Washington Post notes that before the meeting, "asked by reporters whether he will help Obama once his term in office commences, McCain replied: 'Obviously.'" After the meeting, USA Today notes Obama and McCain issued a statement in which they said "they will seek 'a new era of reform' in the coming years."

ABC World News says when former rival candidates "meet for the obligatory make-nice photo-op and pledge work together, it can usually be a fairly meaningless gesture, but advisers to both...Obama and...McCain say there was something different about their meeting today." The CBS Evening News said "areas of potential cooperation for Obama and McCain include improving education, ethics reform, torture and the future of the US detention facility in Guantanamo, Cuba."

The Wall Street Journal says that according to an "Obama aide," the two "spent about half the meeting discussing how they can help usher in an 'era of reform to Washington.'" A McCain aide "said the meeting was cordial and productive."

The New York Times' John Harwood, on MSNBC Hardball said, "I think there was some substance. They talked about the issues they agreed on. We didn't hear much about those during the campaign for obvious reasons." The AP calls the meeting "just the latest effort by the president-elect to heal wounds from the long and bitter campaign and seek help from his former rivals." The New York Times also reports "advisers to both Mr. McCain and Mr. Obama said that they did not expect Mr. McCain to be offered a job in the new administration."

The Politico reports "the dynamic of their relationship won't be known for some time, but associates to both men said they were committed to trying to make it work." CNN The Situation Room, meanwhile, said that if yesterday's "performance seems forced, let's not forget it was their first face-to-face since that final debate in New York when McCain got aggressive about Obama's ties to Bill Ayers."

The Washington Times, AFP, Financial Times, and The Hill also report the story.

Helping Obama Could Boost McCain's Legacy A number of analyses also argue that working with Obama on issues in on which they agree could be McCain's best chance to "reclaim," as NBC Nightly News put it, "his reputation as a bridge builder." The CBS Evening News showed Jim VandeHei, executive editor of The Politico, saying of McCain, "This is a man with a very rich appreciation for history and his place in history and I think he'll want to fix any damage that he did during this campaign by ending on a high note in the Senate."

14. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    Here, Here. I absolutely applaud McCain for showing the guts and the courage to stand up and bridge the gap that has been so huge for so long between parties. Sen Hagel today asked for more of this kind of attitude from The Republican Party as a whole and completely shot down Rush Limbaugh. If you listen to Rush, fine but he is all about hatred, he sells hate and he admits it. Gladly.
    He is in no way a voice, for this country, at this time. We need people supporting the ideals of both and realize that both Ideals can be represented honestly and both can be considered and both can work together in bipartisanship. It will make it harder but isn't it worth it to do so?

Hell Yes!!!

Don't even get me started on how the Ideal of this Great Nation has been abused. [face_not_talking]
  15. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6
    i think it is good that was focus on what is positive and look forward instead of all this bickering...i know SOME people who visit this thread will disagree and continue the negativity, but that is just a resemblance of their sad little lives. there are things i donot agree with on both sides of the line...but let's see where we can come to some sort of agreement to help our country and not keep us apart...united we stand...divided we fall.
  16. ArchaicRebel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gaymarriage.gif]

Having a man like McCain willing to reach across the isle is a wonderful thing.
  17. ArchaicRebel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/celebrity-pictures-limbaugh-star.jpg]
  18. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6
    that is funny...he is way too right sometimes.
  19. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Dont even get me started...I loathe that man. Not only is he a huge JERK he is also incredibly irresponsible. He goads the callers on his show, and one of these days some whack job listener of his is gonna do something awful, mark my words.

If only I had one of them licenses to kill. :mad: ;)
  20. SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR

star 7
    WOW, tell us how you really feel M :D

I like to listen to crazy people, it makes me feel sane 8-}
  21. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6

:p

I might not hate him as much if Mark didnt listen to him every morning while I am trying to eat my breakfast. I need a stove in my house so I never have to hear that crap again. Between that and my moms love affair with Bill O'Reilly I feel pissed off almost all of the time while I am at her house. [face_not_talking]
  22. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    OMGosh Jenny! You gotta listen to both of them? My Condolences. Seriously. @};-

John Stewart said the best thing to Billo the Clown the other night when he was on The Daily Show.

Billo was trying to put down Stewart by saying" John, John, you look at the world through a prism...

... and then Stewart cut him off with, "Yeah, a prism of Rational Thought."

It was a great interview and I will give Billo props for being a good sport and going on the daily show where he's not that well liked. They both ribbed each other but it was professional and light hearted.

Jenny, you should try listening to the "Ed Schultz Show" on Air America. Ed used to be a republican and I would say Ed is a conservative democrat now but he is waaaaaaaay more fair and balanced then either one of those idiots you have to listen to from time to time and Ed will admit when he's wrong. The other two wouldn't be caught dead admitting they were ever wrong.

If you ever watch Larry King, he has Ed on all the time as a consultant and try watching the Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC. She's great and very intelligent.
  23. QueenHighMistress Force Ghost

star 4
    I used to have to listen to Blowhard Bill, and before that it was Limbaugh, when I lived with my parents. I called Billo the Nasty Man. I feel your pain.... [:D]
  24. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
    I think, therefore I hate rush limbaugh (or bill oreilly).

What no love for Keith?
    I like him and how he has no problem tearing limpbone and o'rly to shreads while calling them out.

[image=http://z.hubpages.com/u/363827_f520.jpg]
  25. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    My mom absolutely believes everything they say. *sigh*

I wish there was some sort of intervention I could do. Everytime I try to talk to her about it, she gets super bent out of shape. I have even tried suggesting that she research what she hears for herself on the internet but she wont. She used to be a spitfire, and now...now she just seems old and scared. :(

anyhoo, back to politicking. :)
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.