main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The DREADED Politics Thread: (Political Opinion - Enter at your own Peril)

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    Actually Zac, I watch Keith quite often too. He's pretty funny and a bit of a smartass at times. I kinda like that from an anchor. [face_laugh]

I like that Keith really admires Edward R. Morrow.

2. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    i watched this the other day...good stuff.

3. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    I gotta say this. Im not very happy with the transition to power so far. With all the crap going on why is Obama out there more. We have not seen crap of him since the park. If I was him I would be out in the public like he had already been sworn in.Just letting the country know Bush is lame duck and Ill be running the show in less than 60 days here is what is going on.

4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I'd assume he's busy inside, meetings and such, setting up things for when he gets in... *shrug*

5. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002

Maybe it depends where you are looking...I signed up for email alerts and I have heard something come out of his camp on a daily basis. Did you look at the new economic plan I linked in the financial thread?

6. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Does anyone have any idea on whether we can recoup some of the money spent on the war by billing the Iraqis? I mean, i know they didnt "request" our services or anything, but is this a possibility?

edited to say, I realize this might sound a tad bit insensitive, and that was not intended...I am not speaking of the war persay, but more so the "peacekeeping" of the last few years. Just curious. [face_peace]

7. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    Nope, that money's gone forever. It's our job to pay for it. Aren't we so nice?

8. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002

Nice is probably not the adjective I would use...:p...so we borrowed the money from China to pay for it, and now we pay them back. Hhmmmm.

9. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    They said on the news that he is the first president since (Nixon?) that hasn't taken the 'Honeymoon' they allow for new Pres. He is building his cabinet & an announcement is made almost daily on whom they could be or are, so I think he is doing a ton.

Also he is working on a stimulus package that he wants on his desk to sign on his first day at work. Don't forget he's still a Senator.

10. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    I know he is busy setting up the cabinet, attending meetings and the like. I was meaning the lack of his visable image. The lack of face time.

He actully resigned his senate seat as of the 11th.

11. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I heard the same thing as kim...and actually obama has been doing a weekly blog/radio address. they are trying to get the economic plan together by the start of his term so it can be signed.

in a meeting so i will try to look up the blog for you.

12. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Here is a site...i am going to do some research and see what the plans are.

13. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    From what I've heard about it, I'm no likey it :p But I want it to work....

14. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    Wow. No sooner do I say he needs face time than he does a press conference.

15. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    he knows the needs of the people..;) actually i think there is one scheduled at noon today.

16. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    [image=http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/political-pictures-virgins.jpg]

17. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Today I purchased a little toy, while I still can. It's a bit of a zombie hunter. [face_devil] I'm highly concerned about what BHO will do for gun legislation after he takes office. His past track record has a lot of folks doing the same thing.

I only wish I had more money. I'd buy more. :(

18. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Yeah, but you didn't see heinous crimes like Columbine happening after they were, except in instances where people clung to their guns.

What about the North Hollywood shootout?

There's a reason assault rifles were banned.

Have you actually looked at these numbers?

Cambria, Somerset, Bedford, Blair, Clearfield, Fayette, Indiana and Westmoreland counties are all North-Central/Northwestern PA with no major cities and not a lot of people--hunting is big. Can you say "State game lands aplenty"? And when the ban was lifted on assault rifles, there was a rush of people to buy them. Some people are attributing this to Obama, when it's not necessarily the case. Anyone have the deer population estimates for PA this year? My guess is that the deer have had a good couple of years.

Sure, there's a lot more licenses to carry, but you can't *carry* an assault rifle, but there's also a couple of state prisons up there with immigrants (some illegal, some just from the ghetto) moving in to be closer to their incarcerated family. Rent's cheaper in the sticks, and welfare's easier to get when there aren't any jobs.

Myself, I've been contemplating a concealed carry permit.

19. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Um, OW, last time I checked, assault weapons were not used for hunting and as such, a ban on assault style weapons doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm sorry but with all the problems with the deaths that have amounted to usage of assault style weapons, what's more important? Your toys or laws in place that protect people in general?

I realize that several rotten apples have spoiled the whole bunch but if this society can't be responsible, then it doesn't deserve the right to own, much less use an assault weapon. I understand that military issue weapons are a necessity but why does a civilian need one? Barack said he had no intention of taking away hunting privileges, which to me means, rifles (not assault) will still be legal. What about Bow and Arrow hunting? that won't be affected either I'd bet.

I know that if he passed a law that made certain weapons illegal, people would still be killed cuz the 8 year old killed his dad and the dad's friend with a .22 but William, seriously, how much gun violence do we need to keep seeing before something is done about it?

Would you prefer taxpayer money, your money, put into a new program of psychologists canvassing everyone in the nation for background checks or pysch profiles to weed out people likely to kill innocents? Since you have more experience understanding weapons and death, you tell me what would make the nation safe. We are so worried about terrorists from around the world that we forget that there are plenty right in our own backyard? with the ease to purchase assault weapons?

What? More police? That ain't gonna happen! Cities all over America are cutting their police annnnnd fire departments from their budgets.

National Guard? Are they gonna do it? I'm asking you, not doubting it.

Is it time for Blackwater then? They can patrol the streets with a 10 o'clock curfew?

All of this because people want to own a cooler gun? [face_not_talking]

I'm not saying You shouldn't have your constitutional right to bear arms but there should be a limit to what people should be allowed.
    Also, if this issue of innocent deaths was indeed NOT an issue, then we wouldn't even be having this conversation but IT IS! ... and because of that, a different response is called for. Don't be upset with Barack, he recognizes there's a problem, be mad at the fruitloops that are committing these atrocities. Even if he stops some crimes that could easily be committed under more relaxed laws, that is that many more lives saved and you are going to tell me that you owning a assault weapon is more important than that? I don't agree.

I know that I have jumped on you before William but that is not what I am doing here Brother. Really. but I need a better answer than "cuz I want to have one." Dude, I am an American too but this issue breaks my heart when we consistently, CONSISTENTLY see incidents in schools, churches, malls and the like being attacked and killed in too many cases. That is important to me.

William, I am not upset at what you said but I needed you to know where I am coming from. Love ya Man! [face_peace]

It's just my opinion.

20. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    i read that tomorrow Hillary is going to be accepting the nomination for Secretary of State.

I totally called that four months ago...i said to my friend Rebecca i have a feeling she will be the SOS. (so i have a witness) hehe i think she will do a good job...she is tough.

21. Jyn

Jyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2006
    My opinion... the people who commit the crimes will do it no matter what weapons are available to them. Banning the guns will probably deter a few borderline folks, but the ones all the way gone will just find a different weapon to use.

The problem is the criminals are just that, criminals, and if we ban certain guns it will only keep them out of the hands of the law abiding citizens. As Scott put it, will we end up where the cops are outgunned by the criminals?

Make it harder to get them by all means, but it's not the true solution in my opinion. Addressing the people who are going to do it regardless I think should be the focus rather than bans. They have their place of course, but they are not a standalone solution.

22. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    QFT.

Sorry guys, but every argument you gave just proves to me why I feel like I should have one. I refuse to be a sheep, and the sheeple masses (IMHO) are dangerouos, especially when something goes down. Look at katrina. After Katrina hit, society broke down almost overnight. Those with guns (and I have the training to go with it), were able to keep their family safe from those who didn't care about the law.

If you don't like guns, fine. If you don't like assault weapons, fine. But don't force you agenda on me. :mad: All gun laws and weapon bans do is keep guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Criminals are just that --criminals. They break the law, by definitiion. You could put nonstop laws and have a total big brother nanny state and some folks would still be doing drugs, being in gangs, breaking the law.

If you were to get your way, and ban all "non-hunting weapons" (what a ludicrous distortion of the 2nd Amendment that is!!!), would that stop the gangs like MS-13 from having them? Not one bit. If they can smuggle in weed, or cocaine, or illegal immigrants, they can smuggle in fully auto AK-47s. And worse.

Besides, didn't you see in the Dubai attacks that their own armed police didn't fire at the attackers? Had one citizen had a weapon, they could have fired back and possibly stopped them, at least saving more lives where that attack was taking place. Yes, there were other planned strikes going on nearby, but at least that fire team would be down. It happened at a mall shooting in SLC about 2 years ago, when an off duty cop shot a gunman going postal at a mall.

Now I'm not saying that everyone should be carrying an assault weapon, but they are handy, and they are fun to shoot. (And a CCW pistol would be fine for a lot of circumstances). But I can still hunt deer with the particular caliber I bought. But I find it unbelieveable that people believe that by outlawing guns, you keep them out of the hands of the outlaws themselves. :rolleyes: Or that "assault weapons" are useless.

If you believe that, then don't come my way if the zombie apocolypse ever comes down.

BTW, Cory, if you want to crack down on the "fruit loops", then look at the correlation between those on antidepressants and violence. IMHO, those drugs are more dangerous than any weapon ever made.

23. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I completely agreed with you till this point....

24. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    And for some quotes from our Founding Fathers... you know, the guys who wrote toe Constitution, which should be the highest law in the land:

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry, 3 Elliot, Debates at 45 (Virginia Convention, June 5, 1788).

"God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, & always, well informed... what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure." Thomas Jefferson to William S. Smith on Nov. 13, 1787. The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, ed. Julian P. Boyd, vol. 12, p. 356 (1955).

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Abigail Adams, February 22, 1787.

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, & as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical." Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787.

"...I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Vice President Thomas Jefferson, letter to Benjamin Rush, September 23, 1800. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, ed. Andrew A. Lipscomb, vol. 10, p. 175 (1903). Carved at the base of the dome, interior of the Jefferson Memorial, Washington, D.C.

"The importance of this article [Second Amendment] will scarcely be doubted by any persons, who have duly reflected upon the subject. The militia is the natural defence of a free country against sudden foreign invasions, domestic insurrections, and domestic usurpations of power by rulers." Joseph Story, Dane Professor of Law in Harvard University, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States (1833), Book III at 746, § 1858.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote."
    -Benjamin Franklin

And a few other favorites:

"When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away." - Phillip Van Cleave (October 30, 2007)

Van Cleave is the president of the Virginia Citizen's Defense League (VCDL).

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
    -Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

?The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting, and I know I?m not going to make very many friends saying this, but it?s about our right, all of our right to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys up there.?
    Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, appearing before Representative Charles Schumer?s committee hearings on the assault weapons ban

?The fundamental force behind the Second Amendment is to empower the people and give them the greatest measure of authority over the tyranny of runaway government.?
    U.S. Rep. Bob Schaffer, 2002

"Dangerous laws created by well intentioned people today can be used by dangerous people with evil intentions tomorrow."
    Alan Eppers

?By calling attention to ?a well regulated militia?, the ?security? of the nation, and the right of each citizen ?to keep and bear arms?, our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny which gave rise to the Second Amendment will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason, I believe the Second Amendment will always be important.?
    John F. Kennedy, April 1960

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constit

25. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    William, You sighted the "Assault Weapons" article, not me and you still didn't answer my question, you just went off on your tangent.

I asked...
    William, seriously, how much gun violence do we need to keep seeing before something is done about it?

I think all you saw in my post William, was "Cory said I can't have a gun for anything but hunting."

You can read all those words by important people all day but how much of what we see now, happened then. Those things were said because of the times, just as I am saying what I say cuz of "Our Times."

... and I think you could tone it down a little too. I'm not your enemy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.