main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The DREADED Politics Thread: (Political Opinion - Enter at your own Peril)

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    I listened to him as he spoke it and I was emotionally moved by what he had to say and it NEEDED to be said cuz racism is a serious problem! ...STILL!

Why we as a people, in the Land of Milk and Honey, in The Land of Diversity, can NOT get past this primal prejudice,
    is quite frankly ASININE! I'm tired of it and it has NO place in this world! [face_frustrated]

2. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    I was emotionally moved by it as well. I actually cried a little (and NO I havent been drinking...I'm at work, jeesh). I think in order to believe in anything, you have to have faith. And it has been years, YEARS since I felt faith like that; faith in someone else, someone in a position of power. The speech was from the heart, yo. You could tell, and it tugged at my heart. If we all gave our world our all, we would change it.

3. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanks for the link, Mistress. I didn't get a chance to see the speech, so I'm glad to get a recap.

4. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2004
    I dunno but Obama's pastor appears, on the surface, to be the definition of several nefarious terms. Whatever you want to call it, it aint good by any measure...

The problem in the real world, is that you are judged by the company you keep.

5. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002

This is definitely true, however...I am sure that if there was a camera following any number of us around on a daily basis, eventually we would say something nasty and worthy of a sound byte. I am NOT excusing Mr. Wrights comments, they were mean and foul. What I am saying is that if the man was full of such slime after years of preaching there should be more than two fifteen second clips of it. *shrug*

6. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
  7. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002

Thank you, AR. I was curious, but havent had the time to look for it myself. :)

Very informative. I am glad there are still members of the media interested in the whole truth as opposed to the particular truths that suit the fickle agenda of their network.

8. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Context is everything!

9. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, like giving Farrakhan a lifetime achievement award needs context!

[face_thinking]

10. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002

Now that is something I am ITA with you on, Hyperdyne. I despise Farrakhan.

11. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Preach on, brutha Jer-uh-mai-UH! Let not the White Man oppress your powerful invinnivocationzzzah!

Btw, Anderson Cooper was on Sesame Street this morning. He got into a fight with Oscar the Grouch. I'm sure Isaac was wondering why I was laughing so hard.

12. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    Was that the GNN news spot where he is asking if G is a grouch letter or not?

13. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I think so. They ran through grouchy, grumpy, grimey, but then started going through good, great, etc. And then Oscar won the award for the grouchiest show or something.

I think Cooper crawled out of a trash can, too.

Oh, and Isaac is afraid of the elephant. Not Snuffleumpagus, but the one that's an actual elephant. He didn't like it when it was on TV, and kept looking away.

And when did the bugs become CGI?

14. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    What does everyone think of Gov. Richardson's endorsment of Obama? and the reactions it has gotten.

15. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Interesting article about Ron Paul

"Paul's supporters aren't all black-helicopter paranoiacs, but the black-helicopter paranoiacs sure do support Ron Paul." LOL.

If nothing else, Ron Paul will just keep McCain from getting elected. And with Hillary's recent screwups "because she's human," I guess we can figure that Obama will be the next president. I think it's cool how calmly he handled the church incident, and how he's quietly letting Hillary destroy herself because she can't keep her yap shut. And McCain -- the whole world's already forgotten who McCain is. :eek:

16. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    QFT.

17. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Mistress, I?m glad that you?ve chosen to participate. So, I don?t feel that the thread has been stolen, or even hijacked for that matter (give Zoom enough opportunity though?). I can personally relate to your metamorphosis, as I too underwent a similar transformation over a year ago.

I must confess, I had originally imagined the Democratic ticket going to Hillary, with a subordinated Barack as V.P. After all, she has the vast networking resources of Slick Willy at her disposal, and we know how badly HE wants to get back into the Ovular Office (even as First Bee-yatch). Alas however, seems not to be in the cards for our dear womanoid, as she continues to dig herself deeper and deeper into the mire.

So for better or for worse, I suppose that leaves us with Obama as the contender for the title, at least for now. The DNC is still several months away, and anything can happen in either camp to implode or propel their candidates between now and then.

It?s unfortunate that the remaining Democratic candidates are so unable to distinguish themselves ideologically and philosophically that they find it necessary to resort to scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and prove not who is the better (i.e. more ?qualified?) candidate, but who is the least detestable. It was only a brief matter of time before the mud slinging began in earnest betwixt Hitlary and Osama?oops?I mean Obama. After all, it?s POLITICS, Stupid!

Mainstream Media lives and dies by the sound byte. They require a quote, a quip, a catch phrase, a rallying cry, something short and sweet, concise and allegedly to the point in order to not only survive but indeed to thrive. The fact that Reverend Wright?s comments were taken ?out of context? should be of little to no surprise to any of us. It is the very nature of the beast. Unfortunately, too few will go the extra mile (or in reality, mouse-clicks) to research the entire transcription in order to place such seemingly incendiary and insensitive comments within ?context?. In fact, I think Zoom?s presumably innocuous posting of the Ron Paul article perfectly illustrates this point. Zoom could?ve chosen to quote any of a number of citations from the article, yet he elected to highlight the one that had the best ?ring? to it. This most colorful ?sound byte? oddly enough finds itself worthy of quotation most likely due to the fact that it parrots the same attitude reinforced time and time again by Mainstream Media: Crazy people support Ron Paul. Never mind the actual tone or theme of the article as a whole. Much easier just to take that tasty little tidbit ?out of context?, eh?

Interesting?

I?d have to contend however, that one would have to possibly be even more crazy to support any of the three mainstream candidates. The Communist Party of the USA has in fact openly endorsed Obama?s candidacy:

Marxist Thought Online

I too listened intently to Mr. Obama?s dramatic speech. It was very well written and expertly delivered. I could tell by the responses of the crowd in attendance, as I can by the responses posted herein that the desired results were overwhelmingly achieved. After all, emotions are powerful things. Powerful tools even, particularly when wielded by a skilled craftsman. Having a background in performance as well as public speaking myself, I recognize the strategic placement and emphasis of those buzz-words selected to elicit their intended emotional reactions. Words such as: union; perfection; cancer; just; equal; free; caring; slavery; Constitution; faith; decency; generosity. It was indeed a darn fine speech, and he dispensed its message like a pro. Unfortunately for me, it merely once again soundly reinforced the notion that his greatest and perhaps solitary qualifying trait as a Presidential candidate is the color of his skin, and the implied heritage that goes along with it. His track record as a Senator continues to contradict his campaign rhetoric, and in all too many cases,

18. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001

19. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    That's really the kicker, isn't it?

Since most Presidential candidates have SOME background in politics prior to entering the race, it behooves us as citizens to review their previous records (kinda like lookin' at a Perp's rap sheet for prior's, really) to determine how they've acted in the past. As all three of the current mainstream front-runners are Senators, their Congressional voting records give us a great deal of insight into where they really stand on key issues.

Also, we have to dissect their campaign promises to determine what is not only feasible, but legal (Constitutional).

And actually, although it hasn't happened often (or often enough perhaps), a sitting President can be impeached for violating our nation's laws (Constitutional and otherwise). That's our main remedy if we do end up with another bad egg in the Executive nest.

Other than that, you're right. It's pretty much a cr@p shoot (emphasis on cr@p usually)...

20. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Yeah. There's really no way to determine that a candidate will actually be good once they're in office. Reagan was a movie star, but he somehow got us through a recession and the Cold War without killing us, but he also sold weapons to Iran at the same time. Clinton -- I actually don't think he was that bad, and at the very least he was entertaining. The Bushes -- I could probably have done without.

Some might think I'm crazy, but I really am starting to lean more towards Obama. Last week's speech kinda cemented it for me:

That's probably the most inflammatory, yet down-to-Earth speech I've heard yet. I was watching it at the bar with my homies after work on Friday. It was actually stirring up enough people that they were changing more and more of the TVs away from hockey and to CNN. It was kinda crazy.

Of course, this doesn't say he'll actually be a good president, or that he really does want to change these things. But either him or his speechwriter is awesome. He's not out of touch a

21. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    After reading that again, I realized how dumb that sounded. In any case, it was Buffalo Wild Wings. But everybody around here calls any establishment that sells alcohol a "bar" around here. Sports Club? I dunno? "Crapy Restaurant with Horrible Food?" Probably. Either way, it wasn't a mass of drunken idiots -- at 3pm on Friday the general populous is everyone who just got out of work.

The mass of drunken idiots fighting over who gets a turn at Guitar Hero on the big screen doesn't appear until about 3 hours later. ;)

22. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Thanks for posting, that Zoom. While I was working on my research project last night, my mom was watching FoxNews (cuz she's addicted) and I remember hearing them (Bill O, I think) going off about what an arrogant jerk Obama was for calling the people in the midwest bitter. I remember thinking, I bet they took that out of context. Sho' nuff. Thanks.

23. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    we are currently lobbying for better healthcare reform, specifically in behavioral healtcare. Did you know that because of very limited recovery options in this state (and don't get me started on Colorado's lack of recovery programs) Colorado has one of the highest proportions of young people living long term in assisted living facilities in the country? This isn't because they medically need that level of care, it is because there isn't a better option in this state

makes me very very sad=(

24. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
  25. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.