main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by jacenskylo, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacenskylo

jacenskylo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2006
    I just started reading this series last month and I don't think I went through a series this quickly since the NJO. Has anyone else read it or is a fan?

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I'm a huge fan. The series starts off relatively weak - Storm Front is mediocre at best. Having said that, the series improves rapidly, and has continued to improve with every volume. I would go so far as to say that at this point, this is on par with A Song of Ice and Fire in my mind as one of the best ongoing fantasy series right now.

This series feels a lot like Harry Potter for adults. It's a more serious world (though Harry's narration is often laugh-out-loud funny), it's more adult in some ways (for example, Harry Dresden's trust and distrust for people on his side is a bit more complex than Harry Potter's), and there's sex and sexual themes in the Dresden files (the White Vampires come to mind). There's no Dumbledore-like character - Harry's mentor, Ebenezer, is the closest thing to Dumbledore, and Ebenezer is far from a saint. Harry himself makes a number of very morally questionable choices throughout the series. And in terms of trying to figure out whether a character is good or bad, I'd say that Snape doesn't have anything on Lashiel.

3. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I love this series! A friend on the forums suggested it in between SW books, and so I started it a couple of months ago and just finished White Knight up today. I think its an amazing series and second Raven's opinion that its HP for adults, only better.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I love it.

I read the books and introduced S65horsey to them. They're great.

I love Harry and Bob. I do think the television show may have improved on the books a little.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I read Storm Front and wasn't crazy about it. Where would you suggest I start?

6. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Death Masks was where I started. It introduces a major plot point that carries over the next couple of books, has one of the coolest fight scenes in the series, and it effectively closes off a major plotline from the first quarter of the series. And Dresden's humor starts to really hit its stride.

7. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    My boyfriend introduced me to the world of Harry Dresden; so far I've read only Storm Front(would you believe NONE of the libraries in my area have the books?! :mad:), though I own the third and eighth books in the series.

I thought Storm Front was a good "kick-off" book. It immediately pulled the reader into Dresden's world, and did a nice job as such. I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the series.

BTW, what did y'all think of the tv show? My BF says it slightly veered off-track from the books, but I liked it. I hope there will be a second season-supposedly the head honchos at the Sci-Fi Channel are still debating such.

8. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I read the first 9 books in about 7 weeks. I love this series. Dresden is a lot of fun as a character, after reading the books, you want to hang out with the guy. is anyone opposed to discussing some plot points of the series? I don't want to start spouting off stuff that could be considered spoilers.

9. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

Spoilers are fine, IMO. Books to date have all been out for a while.

10. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    The tv show definitely veered off from the books a bit, but it was in ways that made sense, to me, so I didn't mind. I heard that they weren't making another season though. :(

There were two shows trying to film in the same spot and the other show is currently filming there, so Dresden can't. That's disappointing. I really liked that actor as Harry.

The books are written almost to the point that you don't have to read them in order. I'm a person who likes things chronologically, but I did read one out of order at Charles' suggestion. It wasn't necessary for me to have read the previous ones when I read that one.

11. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

Yep. Far better than most series, I think that each book in the series stands on its own. I read from five onwards, and then back to the start through to four, and I rarely felt like I missed a great deal. Dresden does an excellent job filling in what the readers need to know about any given situation.

12. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    I've been wondering a few things as i've read the series. Who is going to get shiro's sword. I think Murphy might be a good candidate, but harry could get as could Micheal's daughter. Alos in a few of the books micheal has said that he doesn't feel that he will have his sword for much longer, i wonder what will happen to it. Harry said that magical talent is usualy transfered from mother to child, thomas and harry have the same mom, i wonder if thomas will develop any magical talents.

13. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

My prediction is that Murphy will get Shiro's sword, based on a few small things. One is that she already owns a few katana, and two, there are multiple mentions of one of her difficulties in the series is keeping faith in herself and her purpose. So, Faith is the sword for her. The Russian gent has a sabre, Hope, and I predict it'll go to Thomas. He has a sabre of his own that he uses a lot, and his struggle is maintaining hope that one day, he'll be free of his curse, and that he and Justine can be together. And Michael's sword, Love, will go to John Marcone, who is perhaps the most unloved character on the good guys side. Michael's sword is also the sword of kings, and it fits to go to Marcone, who already has an empire.

God, God sees hearts.

Another question I like: is Harry ever going to get laid again? So many possibilities! Elaine is apparently still interested, Susan could always return, Thomas things that Harry and Murphy should just get it over with and run off together, Luccio has a new and nubile body with really cute dimples, Lara and Maeve both seem somewhat interested. Or, one of my new favorite possibilities: if Michael dies, Charity and Harry might make a funny couple, considering where they started from - I can easily see him being a shoulder to cry on, and them getting closer over the passing years, especially if Charity decides to start learning magic again. And Lashiel is still floating around - if Lash is dead (rather than destroyed, slightly different connotation) then we might see Lash return somehow, as well as Lashiel herself. Bob must be getting more frustrated with Harry by the day...

14. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I don't think Marcone is going to get a sword and give up his life of crime to follow God's way. That doesn't seem to fit at all in my opinion. I like Marcone just as he is, a bad guy who is willing to help Harry for the right price. There's nothing good about that, he's a bad guy.

I like Michael, so I hope he stays around, at least long enough to pass the sword off to one of his kids. I have the same impression that Murphy could get a sword, especially since she got demoted, less responsibilities = more time to do God's work.

Harry does need to get laid. I'd like him and Elaine to get back together. I did prefer him and Murphy, but I think if the above happened then it wouldn't work out between them, so Elaine is the next best choice. Bob cracks me up with all of his comments about Harry's lack of a love life. Keep in mind though, that Harry still loves Susan, shown by him fighting off Laura's kiss.

15. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    Raven, i like your predictions about the swords. I was thinking about HArry and Luccio shacking up, that could be cool. Maybe together they will find a way to forge a new warden sword for harry.

16. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

I don't care much for Elaine - in a lot of ways, she's what I think that Harry would have been without Ebenezer to set him straight. Perhaps not her fault, but the fact is: she was trained to be a warlock, and unlike Harry, she's never been cleared by the White Council. In fact, she continues to hide herself from them. Now, in one respect, she has good reason to - just look at Harry's trouble. On the other hand: I simply cannot trust her. And I don't think that Harry trusts her either.

Luccio/Harry is a ship that I like. Harry seems to be one of the few people who really seem concerned about how she's doing, and the scene where they talk about that in White Night was extremely funny for me as a reader. I wonder who she dreams about when the dreams are nice? [face_devil]

17. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Hmmm...I have not looked at her as a developed character or one that could be developed as a character. Mainly because of her position, the odds of her being with Harry are less likely than Elaine/Susan/Murphy in a relationship format. Butcher keeps reiterating that Harry can't do casual. If it were just casual then I think he should sleep around with all of them, but since its not going to be that way, I don't see Luccio being available for a relationship with Harry.

18. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

I do think that she's a possibility. As she and he are now? No. We're not going to have book ten open up with them suddenly in bed. But: something Butcher does very, very well is he builds characters over time. Look at the growth of Molly. Look at Thomas and how his connection with Harry grew. Heck, look at Harry and Murphy's relationship as its changed over the years. I think that Luccio might be set up as a long term possibiltity, something that will grow into something as the series goes on.

I suppose I just can't see Harry reuniting with Elaine or Susan, and I think that Harry/Murphy is an unlikely ship.

19. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    I see harry becoming the next black staff, what do you guys think?

20. Thrawn1786

Feb 8, 2004
    Oh now that stinks! :( :_|

21. Thrawn1786

Feb 8, 2004
    *bumps* I just read this in one of my Yahoo groups:

A company called Dabel Brothers is printing comic books of The Dresden Files
    based on the novels.

22. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    Yeah i saw this. I read ptolus, city by the spire which was a dabel produced comic. It was cool. I'm optimistic about it.

23. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    What's the first book in the series?

24. Thrawn1786

Feb 8, 2004
    Storm Front.

25. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    The first issue of the dresden files comic came out yesterday. I think it was good. I hope these sell well, because i would love to see jim get a shot at writing spiderman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.