The Dresden Files

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Anyone a fan of the Dresden Files? It's a book series and in January, a regular series with a 13 episode order on the SciFi channel:

Harry Dresden lives in the same work-a-day world you live in. The difference is that Dresden is a wizard ? a world-weary and sardonic wizard. This gives him a unique perspective on weird events that happen all around him, including crimes.

Dresden taps that insight to unravel otherworldly schemes and crimes, much to the annoyance of skeptical police detectives. Think you understand how the world works? Get schooled with The Dresden Files.

Anyone a fan, or will be watching?
  2. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Indeed. Happily the show wont be constrained by the books canon.

I say happily not because I don't like the books, but in an ongoing book series it would leave the show pretty much to do nothing be rehash or just do one shot episodes. This way they're free to run their own story arcs.

If you need a cop, call 911. If you need a miracle, call Harry Dresden

3. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    I have the book Dead Beat - do you need to read them in order? I haven't found the first book anywhere yet.

4. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I've read them all, I even managed to do it in order.
  5. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    You do really need to read them in order for some things to make sense, and the later books answer some of big questions/mysteries posed in the first ones. I'm going to check out the show, hopefully they won't screw it up too much. The books are funny and sarcastic as hell.
  6. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Jim Butcher was supposed to be really happy with the series, which is a plus. I should really finish Dead Beat. And search out those earlier books.
  7. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    The trailers for this look promising. Harry is way more clean cut than they make him out to be in the books though.
  8. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    I'm going to go finish Dead Beat once I'm done with Bloodlines.

The author said that he was relieved when the actor picked up on the character's personality well, something about Dresden really being a regular guy, who could just do magic. I can't remember the exact quote.
  9. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Finally, almost ready to get to Dead Beat. It's nice having time to read.
  10. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Upping this, release is in 9 days. I'm currently reading Storm Front, which the pilot is based off of, and it's a fun read. Can't wait to finish it.
  11. adoyidej Jedi Knight

star 3
    I told myself I'd start reading the books, but the show is less than a week away, and I havent had time to pick one up.

Oh well, I'm still excited for the show.
  12. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    It took me two days to read the first two books.
  13. adoyidej Jedi Knight

star 3
    So maybe I still have time:) I don't think I have anything I have to do between now and premiere except that I'm also knee deep in Twilight Princess for Wii.
  14. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    They are quick reads, for sure. Don't know if I'd recommend reading them before the show though, every time I do that with movies, I'm seriously let down.
  15. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    They were fun reads, gave me an idea as to the storyline and basis for the show, which is always a good thing.

I want to see him wearing the shirt: Easter Has Been Cancelled: They Found the Body.
  16. adoyidej Jedi Knight

star 3
    Fair enough, I'll just give them a shot after I see how I like the show.
  17. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    New video: http://www.scifi.com/dresden/video/index.php?cat=features&seas=1&vid=56789
  18. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'll check this show out since it's being done by some former DS9 people. DS9 was the best trek and the DS9 writers have branched out and made some very good tv shows. I hope this will be one of them.
  19. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    That, and and the SciFi channel has gotten a good string of luck lately with TV shows. Battlestar, Eureka. Let's hope that Painkiller Jane doesn't bring down the bar.
  20. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    The comic is suposed to be good. I haven't cought Eureka but it did look interesting.
  21. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    The movie event that they did for Painkiller Jane looked kinda eh, and the series isn't connected to that, so who knows. Could be interesting.

A couple of reviews for the Dresden Files have popped up online, concensus is mediocre. Both reviews that I found said that it seemed too much like Angel and the X-Files, and not original enough. Eh.
  22. twilek69 Jedi Master

star 4
    I am actually very excited about this series. The books were great(thanks Dajuan). Fairies, werewolves, vampires, and magic, all in a detective story. Awesome!
  23. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Premires tonight in 10.5 hours or so!
  24. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    It's on!

Can anyone capture this, and get the opening credits onto youtube or someplace?
  25. adoyidej Jedi Knight

star 3
    I cannot believe I missed the premiere. Its on again at 4 today, so I'll be back afterwards with impressions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.