main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lightsaber Combat in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Canyon D, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    For those who have seen the film, where would you list the lightsaber duel in your all-time favorite lightsaber duels?

Mav Edit: Changed title to encompass more conversation about the duel since it was being used that way anyway.

TCF Edit: Changed the title. This thread now encompasses all duels and lightsaber action scenes in the ST so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.
  2. FN-1138

FN-1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    I'm not sure yet. Need to see it a second time.
    It's very different to the choreographed, almost dance-like duels in the Prequels. Feels more like the duel in ESB.

3. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    One of my least favourite parts of the film to be honest. It was still entertaining, but it doesn't hold a candle to some of the other duels that I love.

Although, I do like the way Kylo fights, in terms of how reckless and raw he feels.

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I would vote it much below both Luke vs Vader duels, also below Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/ Maul duel. It was more realistic than Obi-Wan vs Anakin, at least until Rey maimed Kylo. So maybe I would vote it similar. [face_dunno]

5. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    Well I am actually one of the few people who thought the Maul fight is overrated, As long as it's more like the Luke Vader fights and not choreographed to a tee I should enjoy it.

6. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    The problem with TFA, imo, is that there's no deeply invested emotional connection to the new characters, at least not on the level of most of the duels in the other movies. Overall, i'd put TFA near the bottom of the list as far as lightsaber fights go. I felt no emotional connection to Kylo, Rey, or Finn. In ESB, RotS, and RotJ, you feel the emotion during the fight, you're connected to the characters, you're invested. Even in ANH you can almost feel the emotion when Vader confronts Obi-Wan on the DS1, even though the fight itself was not very action-packed and exciting. Knowing what happened in RotS really makes you appreciate that confrontation more. I felt that the emotion was missing in TFA. Sure, Han's death is shocking and tragic, and Kylo Ren is a frikkin weasel about it; but the same level of emotion and connection just isn't there that exists in ESB, RotS, RotJ, and post RotS ANH, or for that matter even TPM. I felt more connection to Qui-Gon than i did the new characters in TFA. Even if you're talking just pure action and excitement alone as far as the lightsaber fighting itself, it's still in the bottom half imo and not as good as ESB, RotS, or TPM; in this regard i'd say the only worse fight is ANH.

S73, Darth Basin, BretHart and 13 others like this.
  7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I didn't like it. The lightsaber effects were bad, camerawork was disappointing... You could barely see a thing.

8. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    It certainly did fall victim to the massive hype......ts a totally satisfactory star wars movie on par with ROTS,no TESB or ANH bt that was very obviously what it was going for...way too many callbacks ..

Darth Basin and JamesSkywalker like this.
  9. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Twas ok, needs second viewing

10. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    I noticed the sabers looked a bit off in the trailers. IDK they looked to much like light sticks and not energy beams. Is it the same in the movie?

Darth Basin and One-Eyed Gran like this.
  11. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    Was there a duel? I must have fallen asleep for that part ....

Darth Basin, Sith-I-5, Hardip and 6 others like this.
  12. Piranhaconda

Piranhaconda Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    They definitely have a different look to them compared to previous movies, a lot of which is probably owed to the fact that they used actual glowing props this time. In the night duel for example, they cast a substantial glow on the snow and characters themselves.

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    The lightsaber battle at the end was disappointing in a way, Daisy Ridley was amazing through out the film but i felt she lacked in the lightsaber battle, that's my only worry off her being the main Jedi, that the lightsaber battles may be underwhelming

S73, Darth Basin, Finn-2187 and 3 others like this.
  14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that's an enlightening comment.

15. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Still haven't seen it but, Rian Johnson has a better eye for action than JJ. I expect a step up in that regard in the sequel.

16. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015
    The duel is more like a brawl. Happens quickly, like a street fight. I think it's more realistic than the other fights, but I think a lot of people will be unimpressed by it.

Girls might like it though. The money shot is when Rey ignites the lightsaber.

I prefer the Maul/Obi Wan battle in TPM though. The Luke/Vader battle in ESB is probably still the best. TFA's battle ranks above ANH.

Really have to see it again properly to make a final judgment.

17. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Jedi Padawan

Feb 12, 2015
    Rey had what appeared to be fencing moves, that stabbing motion. I enjoyed it.

7starlight and Dak Oolron like this.
  18. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    If it's more in line with the OT battles than I'll probably love it a lot.

Is that a fair statement to make?

Chained Prometheus and Avnar like this.
  19. Forceuser707

Apr 23, 2015
    It's like what would actually happen if you had heavy energy weapons.

Also at first what would happen if a girl tried to take on a guy.

20. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    It was amazing. No idea where I'd rank it, but certainly right near the very top. In terms of both the choreography and the lightsabers themselves, there was actual heft and power to them.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am imploring you to expand on this statement before the thread goes completely amok.

cane_danko, Darth Basin, S2N2 and 3 others like this.
  22. Forceuser707

Apr 23, 2015
    It's realistic. Rey doesn't do well at first, but Kylo's fatigue and her tapping into mystical energies turn the battle in her favor.

Cypess and Bowen like this.
  23. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I thought it was pretty boring to be honest. Not bad but not exhilarating either. I actually prefer the Phantom Menace duel.

Darth Basin likes this.
  24. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Two noobies fighting, one injured, it's what I expected. If anything the duel between Kylo and Finn was better.

25. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Jedi Padawan

Apr 18, 2015
    I loved it. Was much closer to the prequels too which was fantastic. No stupid acrobatics.

A clunky brawl between an injured (and still relatively inexperienced) Ren against a newbie in Rey.