main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lightsaber Combat in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Canyon D, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015

Biggest debate in all of the fandom, I swear. It should be treated like He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named until the next movie comes out in order to fend off the trolls. :p

Canyon D likes this.
  2. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015

Yes! I loved that. It's realistic and dirty and exhausting. Kylo is literally damp with sweat (partially from pain, I'm sure), even though it's freezing outside. I think that's such a cool touch.

Reminds me a lot of this fight scene from Netflix Daredevil in terms of the grittiness and the struggle:

El_Machete12 likes this.
  3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Less is more. See my sig. for further details.

4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The duel in TFA wasn't polished, beautiful, nor did it show the skills of well trained lightsaber wielders. And THAT is what made it so great for the movie. It was absolutely perfect how raw and unpolished it was. It was fierce and even somewhat sloppy. That is how it NEEDED to be to fit into the story perfectly in the first chapter of the new trilogy.

Mana, TK327, Artoo-Dion and 12 others like this.
  5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Agreed. Though I thought from an atmospheric perspective, it was indeed a very beautiful scene. Far more beautiful than any fight in the prequels.

6. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

Couldn't agree more - it was beautiful in every way BUT the fighting techniques, although Kylo does show some obvious skill when he wanted to and was able to overcome his injury and mindset at the time. But from a character, visual, storytelling, cinematography, direction and acting it was absolutely beautiful and the best duel I've seen since ROTJ

Mana, Artoo-Dion , Satipo and 2 others like this.
  7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

^^ THIS ^^

Darth__Lobot and MOC Yak Face like this.
  8. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Jeebus! At first I thought that that entire fight was supposed to be a joke with the punchline being that it's their secret handshake or something, but then I was like "oh they're serious."

Another awesome fight sequence. For all the flack they get Disney sure does know to hire filmmakers who can stage awesome action scenes.

Ruffmeian likes this.
  9. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015

You pulled me in one direction (i thought you were gonig to Critisize it) then hit us with a point that is completely spot on! Its what makes it feel more real as well i think

Ricardo Funes and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Seeing that makes me want another lightsaber-less fight in Star Wars.

11. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    The duel was very weak. One of the worst in the saga.

According to voters in the saga forum, the 3 best duels are Luke/Vader in ESB, Obi-Wan/Vader in ROTS, and Qui Gon/Obi-Wan vs Maul in TPM.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Andy Wylde and Darthmaul208 like this.
  12. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Yeah, so I don't care what voters in the saga forum think

13. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Agreed. It worked for the movie, but they will need to improve it in the following movies though.

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    If you're quoting RLM, you've lost credibility when it comes to Star Wars.

15. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Because they dislike your favorite Star Wars movies?

The fight is easily in my top 3 now. So visceral and brutal.

16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Because anyone who spends that amount of time nitpicking the prequels but not other films is a hypocrite.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Marshall132

Marshall132 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    After watching the film one more time I realize the arm rey puts all her weight on in their lock up near the end of the duel is the arm Finn injured earlier in the fight. She was pulling on the arms wound open further before Kylo Ren finally gives in and loses control of his lightsaber, getting it destroyed and him getting scarred across the face. I like that sequence of everyones actions beating the villian in the end, cause without the gut shot from chewie, the arm wound from Finn the Hero's would not make it off the planet.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Why? They make valid points when it comes to the movies.

19. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012

I don't want to get too off topic, but they bring up many good points under the veil of a personalty and sense of humor that is meant to be very condescending, but that doesn't hide the fact that RLM points out some serious and legitimate problems with the films.

And what other films? They hold the prequels to the same standard as the originals and to movie-making in general, I think brushing off their points as nitpicking isn't very fair, and based on your ranking of the movies in your signature, it seems like you are being a little biased (For what it's worth, I love the prequels despite their misgivings).

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  20. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015

I don't think you really know what hypocritical means.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Edgar Allen Poe Dameron, I love your name. My current favourite along with Brando Calrisian.

22. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    Lol I was thinking the same thing

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  23. Cypess

Cypess Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    I am not quite certain why Kylo challenges Rey to a duel or did he mean to challenge Finn only. He knocks Rey right out with the Force push. He could have killed her, did he intend to? The duel starts with Finn and considering Finn's lack of knowledge and skill, he did the best he could. Did Kylo intend to kill Finn? I don't think so, he knocks him out and could have given the death blow but does not. I loved how the lightsaber flew into Reys hand. I was surprised Kylo would fight a woman. He has strong feelings for her. Was he just heated up from killing Han Solo? I mean some of the stormtroppers saw Kylo kill Han, but Chewie, Rey and Finn are the only characters of consequence to witness this act. Is it just good theater and part of the Star Wars genre to have a duel?

I am impressed with Kylo's strength and determination. I would think he gains more admiration for Rey after this encounter. I never got the impression Rey was going to kill Kylo even though the ground opening forced them apart, she had a chance and didn't give the death blow. Would Kylo have killed her if it went the other way? Was it a good duel? Yes, never saw a woman best a guy like she did. I realize he was weak already but Rey's ability to take care of herself no matter what is remarkable. The lightsaber misses that cut the trees down was awesome. Having the tree tops falling down was scaring me. I didn't think Rey would make it. So, my last word is the duel was memorable and I learned alot about both characters from it. Kylo doesn't have it all together. Rey finds his vulnerabilities naturally.

24. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    For me, the TFA duel is equal best in the series, tied with ESB. It's not two superhumans doing superhuman stunts like the world's most monotonous ballet--it's real people fighting for their lives.

As for RLM, they're about 90% on the money when it comes to the PT. I only watched the videos last year after avoiding them for a long time, but the points are almost always fair and reasonable.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I should have been more specific. If you're gonna do that with the PT, you gotta do that with the OT. There are flaws in all seven films. I overlook them though because there is so much to enjoy (and yes, TFA is included in that statement).

Andy Wylde likes this.