main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Duel of Fates

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Gandalf the Grey, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000

I?ve posted this elsewhere once or twice, but here?s an interpretation of the Duel of Fates. Basically, I think that the Duel of Fates from The Phantom Menace is a ten minute summary of the saga.

You start out with the Jedi fighting the battle droids, in the hanger bay. The smaller battle reflects the larger one. The Jedi are physically fighting the pawns of the Trade Federation, while the Federation itself remains behind the scenes. The Jedi are fighting the Trade Federation, while the Sith remain behind the scenes. This corresponds to the beginning of the Phantom Menace.

Then the gates open, representing a revelation. Behind them is a mysterious cloaked figure, which shows the state the Jedi were at by the time the Scooby Gang reached Coruscant. They knew that something was there, and had their suspicions as to what it was, but were not completely sure. Then he lifts his head and pulls out his lightsaber, and they?re finally sure.

The Naboo, the allies of the Jedi, leave them. This probably represents Palpatine driving wedges between the supporters of the Jedi. The Jedi move to engage the Sith Lord, and meet him on fairly even terms. Maul retreats before too long, and the Jedi follow eagerly. Obi Wan even twirls his lightsaber in a show of bravado (watch for it!). This represents the defeat of the Sith at the end of The Phantom Menace. The Sith appear to have been driven back, but appearances to the contrary, the Sith are still in control.

The second half of the duel, Episode II, begins as they enter the enormous room with the catwalks. The Jedi continue to pursue the Sith, and the Sith willingly give the appearance of giving ground. But the Maul soon manages to separate the Jedi, knocking Obi Wan (representing Anakin) away from the rest of the Jedi. But Qui Gon, representing the Jedi, finally gains a real advantage. He (they) drives Maul (the Sith) back, and it looks like the good guys might actually pull though without Obi Wan / Anakin. But barriers are created, and at the end of Episode II, Anakin is separated from the Jedi, and the Jedi are unable to finish the job.

The gates open and Episode III begins. Obi Wan / Anakin is unable (or unwilling?) to help the Jedi as they face off with the Sith. The Jedi make a valiant effort, but the Sith prevail. Obi Wan sees his master killed (NO!), and Anakin falls to the Dark Side. With Anakin on the Dark Side and the old Jedi Order dying or dead, the prequel trilogy ends.

The gates open again with the beginning of ANH. Obi Wan represents Luke now, and he comes out fast and hard against the Sith, forcing them onto the defensive. Obi Wan drives back Maul and Luke blows up the Death Star. The fight pauses for a moment, as each side takes new measure of each other.

Maul strikes back. This time, Obi Wan goes reeling, getting kicked and forced around the small room. Meanwhile, Luke and the Rebellion are in trouble as the Empire Strikes Back. But all is not lost. Even though Obi Wan is losing, he still manages to cut apart Maul?s lightsaber. Just so, Luke unwittingly begins to sever the ties binding Vader to Palpatine. The Sith is/are still dangerous, but their strength is greatly lessened.

But even with only one half of his lightsaber (and with only one true Sith left), come Return of the Jedi. Maul has managed to drive Obi Wan down into the pit, and he?s hanging by his fingertips. Luke has defeated his father, and his hanging by his fingertips (almost literally) at the edge of a moral, metaphysical pit. Maul/Palpatine is gloating. But with Obi Wan / Luke?s own weapon gone, he turns to another. Obi Wan uses the Lightsaber of a fallen Jedi as his weapon to destroy the Sith, Luke uses a fallen Jedi to destroy the Sith. Both Maul and Palpatine are caught by surprise, and both plummet into a pit.

Obi Wan / Luke then runs to his father / father figure and says his last good-bye, making a death-bed promise. The old Jedi / old Jedi Order are then laid to rest on a funeral pyre, probably because fire has cleansing or purifying properties.

The End

2. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    A well thought out theory. I have no comment at this point. ;)

3. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    I'm sure that's exactly what Ray Parks had in mind all along. ;)

I think, as the name suggests, that it is merely a show of the two sides of the force pulling Anakin in two different directions; as far as what Anakin will have to be to bring balance. If Maul would have won then who knows maybe Anakin would have to balance the force by being the model Jedi Knight, trusting in the Force never straying ect. But sice the good guys win we are led to believe that all is well, when really since the good guys won Anakin will have to be a bad cguy to balance the Force. While Obi thnks he is fighting for the better sake of Anakin he isn't and vise versa for Maul.

My two Republic Credits

4. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    The name is also showing the conflicts between the Jedi and Sith, and of course, the destinies of the main characters...

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Deeeeeep, man.

6. TheChosen1

TheChosen1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Interesting, but a little too farfetched in my opinion. I think the fight and the movies in general are simply following the traditional story telling method. It looks like the good guys are gonna fail and they miraculously make a comeback. This happens on a grand scale, (ESB the good guys lose, ROTJ the good guys win) and it also happens on a small scale (Obi Wan falls down a pit, it looks as if he's about to die, but he ends up winning). I don't think its any more complicated than that.

I think you're right ,however, about Duel of the Fates symbolizing the basic struggle of good vs evil in the movies seeing how Obi-Wan, the ultimate Jedi, defeats Darth Maul, the personification of evil. Evil wins for a moment, Maul kills Qui Gon, but good wins in the end.

7. AnakinWisler

AnakinWisler Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    Good theory...you must have a lot of time on your hands. ;) 8-} j/k

8. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    You re-posted this! :)

In the Duel of Fates, Obi repeats two key elements that we have already seen in Luke:

Yelling "Nooooo!" as he watches a Sith strike down his Jedi master (ANH, Ben v. Vader)

and

Hanging by fingertips at the ledge of an endless pit after losing his own lightsaber in a duel with a Sith (Luke hanging on in the Bespin duel with Vader)

The repeat of these elements lend support to Gandolf's theory that the Duel of Fates is SW in a nutshell.

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Also, notice that Qui-Gon is still alive after Maul stabs him, just like Obi-Wan continues to live throughout the OT after Vader has struck him down.
    And among Yoda´s dying words are "Pass on what you have learned." Similarly, Qui-Gon asks Obi-Wan to train Anakin before making his final exhale.

10. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    That was a very well-thought out theory you have there, I don't have any arguements against that. :) I agree that Duel of the Fates symbolized so much more than originally thought... :D

11. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    If you watch the making of TPM, Lucas and John Williams talk about bringing Duel of the Fates back in Episode III.

12. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    I would have to agree with you. Very fascinating indeed.

13. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    Never thought about it like that before.

On the TPM DVD Lucas says that the Duel Of The Fates ties in with the end of Ep3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.