The Duel : What causes it to take place ?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by BaronLaw, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaronLaw Jedi Knight

star 1

As every Star Wars fan knows, Obi-Wan and Anakin Skywalker are headed for a duel in Episode 3. We're also aware that this is a seminal event in the saga, the Jedi Master losing his Apprentice.

What will trigger the confrontation ?

Does Anakin believe his best friend, Obi-Wan, has betrayed him ?
    Perhaps Obi-Wan reveals Anakin's marriage to the Jedi Council, which results in his expulsion ? Or does Anakin blame Obi-Wan for the loss of a loved one ?

Alternatively, is Obi-Wan convinced that he must battle and conquer Anakin because he learned of his descent to the dark side of the force? On this theory, Obi-Wan would be the instigator.

Just a few ideas on what might be the immediate spark that results in this most anticipated duel.

Any thoughts ?

BaronLaw

2. TheWombat Jedi Master

star 4
    My theory? Padme and Obi-Wan, seeing the road that Anakin is heading down, sneak Padme away to give birth to the twins. Anakin finds Padme missing, and confronts Obi-Wan, who won't tell him anything because he's so angry. The betrayal of his mentor and his wife are the final trigger that snaps Anakin to the Dark Side, and the duel begins.
  3. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, it will probably be something like that - involving both Padme AND Obi-Wan, 2 of the 3 people Anakin is closest to.

Plus, he'll have Palpatine whispering in his ear about how it's all Obi-Wan's fault - he held him back during training and sent him away from his wife, and now he's taking his wife and kids away from him.

Messing with his family? Good way to make him Dark Side. ;)
  4. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    There are two quotes in AOTC that I believe directly foreshadow Anakin's fall, and possibly point to his battle with Obi-Wan:

"Someday, I will be the most powerful Jedi ever. I will even learn to stop people from dying."

"I wasn't strong enough to save you, Mom...I promise I won't fail again."

I'm paraphrasing, but you get the point. These two quotes were a little over the top, and most definitely served to plant the seeds for Ep III.

Somehow, I believe that Anakin will attempt to save a life (Padme) and will fail once again, as he did with his mother. He will then give up completely on life, and on the Light Side. He may even be suicidal, stark raving mad, insane at the moment of her death. Most likely Palpatine will 'happen' to be there at the moment this occurs, and will promise Anakin great power and control when he gives in to the Dark Side. He will encourage revenge against the Jedi, who held Anakin back and allowed Padme to die. He will probably even directly blame Obi-Wan for holding Anakin back (playing up to Anakin's previously expressed thoughts on this subject) and preventing Anakin from saving her.

But, I don't believe that Palps will concoct any lies about the death of Padme. I don't believe Anakin will be tricked into fighting Obi-Wan, I suspect he will embrace this choice of his own free will.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.