main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Duel

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TK327, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I think there's more than enough material out there to justify a thread devoted to the duel. There has been a lot of good discussion in The New Rumor Depository. So feel free to carry it over to this thread.

I'll kick things off by reposting this from the other thread:

So despite all MSW's good work, this story still gives me pause. They nailed the duel/Falcon concept art (with the exception that they said both combatants were male--but gender is ambiguous in the pic. See below). This was in June.

[​IMG]

So if that pic is legit, is there reason do doubt the description given for the second pic of an older Jedi facing off with a Sith? I understand that this could be an unused idea, but still...

http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/06/rumor-possible-star-wars-episode-7.html

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    so Kylo Ren can't beat 1 soldier untrained with a lightsaber and a girl who's rusty???[face_devil]:p
    the duel ends in a draw, so it's possible he was gaining the upper hand before the mountain gave way or maybe not.[face_thinking]

Shadojoker, Echo Base and nightangel like this.
  3. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Figured I would post this here as well.

In regards to the duel, we also need to consider we have very little context. If all we had were basic beats of Luke's first encounter with Vader we could easily think that they were weakening Vader just to protect the protagonist of the story. The context makes Lukw's survival more understandable along with his willingness to take major risks.

Potential contexts could include
    1. Kylo has no formal training. He may be trying to prove himself to Uber. This could be a film of a cold war between Uber and Luke that only really ramps up in VIII. It is very possibly Kylo may be a wannabe. (Not my favorite context but possible)
    2. Kylo could be playing a long game. Trained under Uber and already scouting talent for an apprentice to take him down. Some rumors suggest their relationship may be on thin ice in this movie. Kylo could feasibly be testing Rey and Finn to see if either might have genuine potential to work with. In the process the duel is interrupted with the mountain falling.

3. Emotionally attachment to Rey. We know little of their connection. If Finn can briefly hold out with Rey staying in between them it is possible there could be some hesitancy there.

What I am saying is we actually no very little. Perhaps it is time to start pretending the we do considering I managed to make up three potential contexts to flesh the scene out, and I am not a writer.

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

yeah, still sounds very weak to establish a real threat for the ST, who could stand up to a Darth Vader. Darth Maul was more a threat than this wannabe. ;)

starocean90 likes this.
  5. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Although it's been rumored that the duel ends in a draw, I'd venture that Ren does indeed have the upper hand for most of this confrontation. As nalkwan pointed out elsewhere, there wouldn't be much dramatic tension if the good guys were evenly matched with the villain so early in the trilogy.

Red_Leader_313 likes this.
  6. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Unless again there is further context. Luke should have been crushed by Vader, but context to the situation made it more understandable.

TK327 likes this.
  7. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    In case this wannabe beats and kills Luke in VIII, it would be laughable.

starocean90 likes this.
  8. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I just want to see a great duel. Exciting and full of emotions.

El_Machete12, TK327 and starocean90 like this.
  9. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    with a lose of a limb or two.;):p

10. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    By the way, what are the 'SEVEN' doing in this movie except attacking the academy in the flashback? They are not involved in any of the duels???

11. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Well the seven are actually revealed to the be the seven remaining Keebler elves who live in the trees in the climax. They are throwing cookies at Rey and Finn while they fight Kylo.

12. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014

[face_rofl]

13. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Maybe they throw the cookies from the mountain. Their weight causing it to collapse in this duel scene.

14. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Well, to be fair, in ESB Luke was crushed by Vader. Even with context, it was obvious that Luke was outclassed, although still a surprisingly capable opponent.

Amdrag and Dak Oolron like this.
  15. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Well, they had to get Warwick Davis in this movie somehow...

dlbates likes this.
  16. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
    Excellent topic. You might edit and put all photos of the arts on the duel.

Flapjack4 likes this.
  17. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    However, if we just had the same tiny pieces of info for that duel as we do for this one we may not have thought that. On paper it could have sounded much like a draw. the heroes may survive, but our undead in g of what a draw means could be flawed so I still think my comparison stands. We know Luke got owned because we have seen the full duel and l context involved.

TK327 likes this.
  18. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Rey and Finn do not appear to be faring especially well here, IMO.

[​IMG]

19. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I think Ren will have the upper hand through most of the duel. Then "by the will of the force" the protagonists are saved. If Ren is scouting out new talent he may also be playing with them.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  20. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I wonder if they're going to make Kylo Ren the Maul/Tarkin of this trilogy, where he is an introductory villain that the hero kills in the first episode. I always thought that the "rhyming" character would be the Stormtrooper commander, but I'm starting to think it might be Kylo.

Dak Oolron and nightangel like this.
  21. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    We have to factor motive and psychology into these duals since that's usually an element of SW duals. It's not always about who is faster and stronger. Kylo Ren may be stringing Ray along in order to convince her to join him or his cause. Who knows. Or Rey is trying to break through the darkside and find the brother/friend she once knew.

So again, video game style analysis here isn't very helpful. :)

Rabs, Redimet, Dak Oolron and 5 others like this.
  22. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Kylo clearly has the high ground and possibly experience. Amazing these two escape.

Shadojoker and Dak Oolron like this.
  23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    but isn't SW a video game.:p

Shadojoker and nightangel like this.
  24. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Agreed. But once again, at such an early point in the overall story, complex psychological motivations and character dynamics may not have yet been developed. We don't even know for sure if Ren and Rey know each other. By the time Luke and Vader first confront each other, for example, there has been plenty of opportunity (1.75 films) to develop context.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014

yeah and in these 2 concept arts Kylo is displayed bigger than the 2 other opponents and this displays superior abilities. So a draw (also with the help of the collapsing mountain) makes no sense at all. [face_dunno]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.